DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I bring a drone into Russia since July 2017 rule changes

Just left moscow. OMW to the black sea. We hired a cab and he would drive us around while we flew took us to some castles or close to so we could fly near. He has no English skills but very honest guy for a 1000rb trip we would give him 2 for just beign patient and stoping when we wanted. My friend I was with is Russian BTW so they always were chatting it up. It was probably the best way to cover as much ground. Moscow is enormous, LMK if you want his WhatsApp. Oh yeah forgot to tell you pick up a Russian SIM upon entering its cheap 700rb 23gb of internet BEELINE black and yellow company or METRO? Looks like a white egg w/red background

I’m definitely going to get a SIM card as soon as I get there, I’ll look for the beeline one.

Do you recall any of the castle names? We’re a group of 7 people so we might need two cabs, but having a starting point would be great.

Have fun and thanks for the info.

Just left moscow. OMW to the black sea. We hired a cab and he would drive us around while we flew took us to some castles or close to so we could fly near. He has no English skills but very honest guy for a 1000rb trip we would give him 2 for just beign patient and stoping when we wanted. My friend I was with is Russian BTW so they always were chatting it up. It was probably the best way to cover as much ground. Moscow is enormous, LMK if you want his WhatsApp. Oh yeah forgot to tell you pick up a Russian SIM upon entering its cheap 700rb 23gb of internet BEELINE black and yellow company or METRO? Looks like a white egg w/red background

I’m definitely going to get a SIM card as soon as I get there, I’ll look for the beeline one.

Do you recall any of the castle names? We’re a group of 7 people so we might need two cabs, but having a starting point would be great.

Have fun and thanks for the info.

Dol'skaya Ulitsa, 1с6, Moskva, Russia, 115569
"Grand Palace" i don't know if it was super legal but I like flying early morning 4-5 am only people up are drunks and people cleaning the street. The park is closed but you can park outside and take off from there and fly it over. Like I said nobody around to bother you. And it seems people don't care what you are doing they just mind their business.

But do recommend cab it up especially going there early. Be careful these guys will charge you an arm and a leg for rides because of the WC.. uber kind of doesn't exist. Yandex or y.taxi on the play store russi a form of uber. My guy charged us 2k to DME airport from the city center we tried giving him 3k but wouldn't take it. It probably would been 1-1.5k but he showed up when we asked him to, but we were still sleeping from celebrating MEXICO'S WIN!

I just googled some pictures of that place, beautiful, great stuff!

Dol'skaya Ulitsa, 1с6, Moskva, Russia, 115569
"Grand Palace" i don't know if it was super legal but I like flying early morning 4-5 am only people up are drunks and people cleaning the street. The park is closed but you can park outside and take off from there and fly it over. Like I said nobody around to bother you. And it seems people don't care what you are doing they just mind their business.

No ****, what a game!

But do recommend cab it up especially going there early. Be careful these guys will charge you an arm and a leg for rides because of the WC.. uber kind of doesn't exist. Yandex or y.taxi on the play store russi a form of uber. My guy charged us 2k to DME airport from the city center we tried giving him 3k but wouldn't take it. It probably would been 1-1.5k but he showed up when we asked him to, but we were still sleeping from celebrating MEXICO'S WIN!

Found this forum after a bad experience crossing the border from Mongolia to Russia.

When we first crossed into Russia with our campervan from South Korea via a ferry we had no problems bringing in the our DJI Spark. In fact we weren't even present during the Customs inspection so not exactly sure how thorough they were.

However when we crossed back into Russia we had to take out all our bags and have each one x-rayed. They went to the bag that had our drone and asked us to pull it out. At which point they told me that if I didn't have my registration papers for the Drone they were going to confiscate it. I told them that I did not have registration papers and thought I did not need them for my weight of drone. At which point they told me that any UAV needed to be registered regardless of the size.

They took me to a separate office and started filling out paperwork for the confiscation and also told me that it was a civil offense and they needed to fill out the paperwork for that as well.

After pleading with the Customs official he he finally told me that he could help me out. He wrote the amount of 100 US dollars on a piece of paper. And asked me if I could pay this amount. Although I realized it was a bribe I thought I had no other option so I agreed.

However things changed very quickly after I went out to get the money. Not sure exactly what happened but he asked me how much the Drone cost. Then he said I don't have to tell him because he already checked online. He then told me that I would have to take the Drone back to Mongolia. This took me by surprise and I told him that going back to Mongolia was impossible. Although I am a US citizen and do not need a visa to enter Mongolia, my traveling partner is Korean and she does need a visa.

At that point I saw him discussing this with some of the other custom agents and to my surprise he told me to just take the Drone and leave. Really not sure what happened but just wanted to share the information with this forum.

yeah I'm wondering too now that the WC is halfway through.

I've read that the WC cities are no fly zones but I would love to bring my spark just for the occasional shot of the new cities i'll be visiting..probably wouldnt go higher than 50 Feet. Has anyone out there right now been able to use it? There's always that hidden irrational fear that if they dont confiscate it at the border, once I DO turn it on in moscow the police will come knocking.

Obviously I wouldnt operate it on game days or anywhere near crowds

Did you have any issues flying out of Russia with the drone? I was able to fly in to Moscow on June 20th with it no problems, but I'm receiving mixed answers on leaving with it, that they won't allow its transport out of the country without being registered (and nowhere to register it lol). I'm hoping to hear that others are leaving with their drones via airport with no issues.

I'm in pattaya now on route to the Philippines . I left July 2nd from Samara airport, no problem leaving the country. I traveled from Saint Petersburg- Yaroslavl by plane, Yaroslavl-Moscow by car, Moscow-Simferopol, Crimea by plane, Simferopol-Sochi by plane, Sochi-Moscow by plane, Moscow- Samara by plane, and Samara-Dubai layover-Bangkok. I never had anyone ask me to open up my bag, with the exception with a layover in Helsinki OMW to Russia. They had me open my bag and show them all my electronics.

It might help that I was carrying Nikon D750, attached 14-24, 50mm, 28-300mm, 3 Nikon batt, mavic pro w/battery,3 extra batt, remote, charging cables for drone, with that 4 battery dji extender?, mavic filters, and case with go pro crap and camera batt charger

Last edited:
Dgarcia808 on Instagram I have one video uploaded from Yaroslavl. I'm an amateur and I'm horrible at editing videos. So I haven't posted anymore

And I'm not trying to promote myself on Instagram. So please don't judge me as I'm just trying to show proof of my travels with my drone.

I understand border crossings are pretty sketchy in my book, so the bribe the official was asking for does not surprise me. I'm sure the other officials thretend to turn him in if he accepted the bribe. As all the world's eyes are on Russia now, and they don't want any bad publicity.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_