DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can i fly from an offshore oil rig?

Former Member

Reactions
I'm posting this to the general forum. I received this as a pm from @Captainxx93

"Hi all,

Referring to the subject above, would like to ask is it possible to fly on my work location (oil rigs) without any problem? Open space that I chose to fly is on our helideck.

Helideck is fully metal and on top of our accommodation deck in front of the helideck is where all of our communication antennas and radar (radar can be switch off before flying) are placed.

Hence, is it possible? And any effects to my drone?"

You'll have to get it away from any metal in the deck surface to get a clear compass. If you should have to do a Compass Calibration you'll want to do it as far from anything metal as possible.

Depending on the type of Comms and such you may have some issues that can not be anticipated except in person.

But can you? If the aircraft will engage you should be able to. We've flown from cruise ships, fishing vessels, and pontoon type boats with no problems. I would imagine the oil rig is a lot more stable to fly from compared to a rolling vessel on the sea.

Good luck and take LOTS of pics to share.

What are you flying? The Pro might be less affected by your communication interference than the Air. You should hand launch/land so the compass will be less affected by the metal deck. I would not calibrate the compass on the rig because once away from it the compass readout may change causing conflicts between actual and perceived direction.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Whoa! I'm thinking there's GOT to be magnetic interfere all around one of those babies! Tons (literally) of steel. All kinds of electronics and electric motors. Communications antennas. Boy I wouldn't consider it if it were me.

Upon reflection, it should be easy to fly from an oil rig, but due to the possible magnetic and communication interference it's getting it back that may be a problem. If the shot justifies the loss of the Mavic, then go for it. I personally am not much of a risk taker with my Mavic so I would not do it.

ASK your safety officer theres bound to be rules that say no. Including flying in a no fly zone rules regarding fire hazards ect ect

If you can overcome the compass errors you can likely fly. I was on a pier made from lots of steel and even holding mavic high above my head i refused to allow mavic to take off due to compass warnings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000