DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can i fly in this special use airspace

Mrflyingdonut

Reactions
I want to flly my drone on this beech one morning, am out of range of all airports but am in special use airspace, EGLIN E MOA (EGLIN E MOA, FL) , address is 116 Carillon Market St, Panama City Beach, FL 32413,
Am i allowed to fly here

Eglin is very forthcoming with UAS operational restrictions, since they are a DOD classified facility. I have attached a document from Eglin AFB about UAS restrictions. As you will see, there is nothing from them preventing you from flying over the beach areas east of the base.

This does not mean that local restrictions are not limiting UAS operations. It also does not include Tyndall AFB in the Memo.

I would say that you are okay to fly there, just remember that banner pilots are in the 500'-1000' altitude, and fly regularly, so adhere strictly to the 400' limit.

Camp Helen SP is just west of there, and ALL Florida state parks are off limits, so don't fly there.

Attachments

• Eglin-AFB-Local-Area-sUAS-Guidelines-Jul-17.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: sar104
Eglin is very forthcoming with UAS operational restrictions, since they are a DOD classified facility. I have attached a document from Eglin AFB about UAS restrictions. As you will see, there is nothing from them preventing you from flying over the beach areas east of the base.

This does not mean that local restrictions are not limiting UAS operations. It also does not include Tyndall AFB in the Memo.

I would say that you are okay to fly there, just remember that banner pilots are in the 500'-1000' altitude, and fly regularly, so adhere strictly to the 400' limit.

Camp Helen SP is just west of there, and ALL Florida state parks are off limits, so don't fly there.
Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Odom1957
I am semi local to Eglin, and have spent a lot of time all around there doing photography and I see drones east of Destin all the time.

Henderson Beach is off limits also, and they are very strict about state parks in Florida. Very hefty fines if caught. Navarre beach is another area for drone flying as it is not usually busy when compared to Destin and Pensacola beaches.

I am semi local to Eglin, and have spent a lot of time all around there doing photography and I see drones east of Destin all the time.

Henderson Beach is off limits also, and they are very strict about state parks in Florida. Very hefty fines if caught. Navarre beach is another area for drone flying as it is not usually busy when compared to Destin and Pensacola beaches.
Do you know if Rosemary beach and carillon beach are ok

Rosemary beach is okay, but I haven't been to the other. Watch out for sightseeing helis and banner planes.

Banner planes usually fly off the shore a bit, but those helis are EVERYWHERE!

Panhandle helis and Bay Seaplanes operate in that area. You can call them to see about flight schedules and paths if you want.

It looks like Carillon Beach is just outside of the State Park, so you'll be fine there also. I would call both of those I listed to make sure though. New ordinances and stuff are coming out quicker than we can keep track.

Last edited:

Thank you for the info, I have been looking for a extensive explanation of the airspace and this is perfect.

Like others have said, too. The helicopters are everywhere. I actually researched the tour companies along the stretch of beach I was going to be at and notified them of my presence. They were very appreciative and allegedly notified the pilots.

A MOA is a "Military Operation Area", identifying operating areas of low-flying, high-speed military aircraft.

They are not restricted areas, but as this description suggests, operating any aircraft (manned or unmanned) in these areas require extra vigilance in maintaining a watchful eye for aircraft that you'd swear weren't there a second earlier.

That area is surrounded by Restriced Areas, in which you cannot fly.

I just pulled up sky vector, and noticed that this particular stretch of beach also includes a special air traffic rule identified as the east west corridor for Eglin/Valparaiso that requires ATC clearance/advisory prior to entering. SFC to 8500'.

This does not show up on Air Map. Good lesson for flying anywhere really. These drone friendly sky maps are great, but aren't always completely accurate.

Are you sure AirMap doesn't show the restricted areas? Hover uses AirMap, and it shows them.

Screenshot_2018-08-31-18-30-34.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS