DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

can i fly with large electricity cables

ceekje

Reactions
hello everyone there are large electricity cables 150 meters near my house can i fly over it or under it ?

upload_2017-3-16_17-36-19.png
im not living so near

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-16_17-36-7.png
    upload_2017-3-16_17-36-7.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 56
I have a few too, never under, and WAY over, like 50-75 feet....

I set up a fleet of Inspires for the power company in my area to replace helicopters for line inspection. So I'd say you're fine Thumbswayup

Don't hit them and be careful of interference. I doubt you'll have an issue but it's a situation where you'll need to be more attentive.

I was always under the impression that large power lines like those would cause bad interference.

There can be magnetic interference from powerlines carrying heavy current, more current, the stronger magnetic feild. It seems to me the ultra high voltage powerlines carry less current and so the magnetic field is less than those of much lower voltage carrying hundreds of amps. But I believe the magnetic field drops considerably and quickly with distance. I read up on all of this when I first started flying my Phantom 3 a while ago.

My experience with power lines.. I have some near my house and fly around them often, never had interference, but I did hit one once. From my angle of observation I thought I was above it, but the cable went between the front props and body. The MP did a flip in mid air, and was wobbly. I landed right away and checked it over for damage. I was lucky, no damage, just a mark where the cable ran across the top. recalibrated compass and flew fine after. Learned my lesson, if you think you have clearance, give it more room!

There can be magnetic interference from powerlines carrying heavy current, more current, the stronger magnetic feild. It seems to me the ultra high voltage powerlines carry less current and so the magnetic field is less than those of much lower voltage carrying hundreds of amps. But I believe the magnetic field drops considerably and quickly with distance. I read up on all of this when I first started flying my Phantom 3 a while ago.
Indeed. These powerlines are designed to use ultra high voltage to transmit electricity over long distances. The current is low, therefore the electromagnetic radiation is low. High current was one of the major problems Thomas Edison faced with his DC power.

hello everyone there are large electricity cables 150 meters near my house can i fly over it or under it ?

View attachment 8645
im not living so near
I have flown around these, besides the obvious caution around and objects, if RTH kicks in and you are under the wires the MP may ascend into the wires to get to the RTH altitude. I also feel that on a NAZA-v2 drone I was flying near the tower, I had some drift, which may have been magnetic issues with the large steel structure.

I would say avoid it, but you won't be the first or last.

Indeed. These powerlines are designed to use ultra high voltage to transmit electricity over long distances. The current is low, therefore the electromagnetic radiation is low. High current was one of the major problems Thomas Edison faced with his DC power.
My hero is Nikola Tesla, he invented the HV transmission line and MANY other things.

Reactions: NinjaBlade
The ones in the picture look to be 138kV - maybe 230kV (it's difficult to gauge scale from a single photo). The circuit breakers (filled with SF6 to prevent them from exploding when they trip) at the transmission yards for 138kV to 500kV (and even 700kV) are set as high as 40,000 amps. I would not call that low current. The inductive power coming off these lines is enough to cause transient voltages on poorly grounded metal object within 100'. Transmission crews are often heard swearing worse than drunk sailors when they grab metal object that are under the lines (i.e a wrench laying on a insulating pad. Hold a fluorescent light (or even an LED flashlight bulb) while under/near these lines, and it will light up in your hand.

That said, I think the MP (and the entire DJI line) is exceptionally well insulated, and unaffected by the induced voltages of HV lines.

The power lines by themselfes don't create problems. It depends on how much electric current is actually flowing through them, as the current will create a magnetic field.
As long as you will keep some distance, let's say about 10m, you should be on the safe side.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78