DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I launch from Roan mountain?

Jhackl1

Reactions
Hi all,

I am going to Roan mountain this weekend and would love to get some drone footage but I can't tell if I can launch from there or not. For clarity, I plan to stay in NC as the TN side appears to be a state park so no fly there. But I also saw the app trail goes through this area so no fly over it. So does anyone know if I can launch from Roan? If it is allowed, how far away from the app trail do I need to be? Any answers or suggested sites to find this info greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Google is your friend.

Point 2 under general ...

And for NC State Parks, seems are also verboten:

NCAC 13B .1204 // 2018

This North Carolina administrative code prohibits drones from ascending or taking-off within or upon any state park area or state park water surface. In some limited circumstances, drones may be operated after obtaining a special activity permit from the Park

Seems the idiots went wild in those two states and ruined it for everyone.

Take the drone - and ask nicely at one of the ranger stations, explain what you want to do, they may give you a permit. If they say no, enjoy the scenery with your choice of terrestrial camera.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I saw that TN was a state park but in NC it's part of the Pisgah national forest which does allow drones as long as it not in wilderness or TRFs. I see I didn't phrase my question very well so I'll retry. The App Trail is considered a National Park, so no fly. The App Trail runs along the Bald where it would be great to launch and capture some footage. How far does the trail extend beyond the Trail? I.e. if I walk 100 yards off the trail, can I launch there or do I have to be farther?

Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks for your reply. I saw that TN was a state park but in NC it's part of the Pisgah national forest which does allow drones as long as it not in wilderness or TRFs. I see I didn't phrase my question very well so I'll retry. The App Trail is considered a National Park, so no fly. The App Trail runs along the Bald where it would be great to launch and capture some footage. How far does the trail extend beyond the Trail? I.e. if I walk 100 yards off the trail, can I launch there or do I have to be farther?

I don't think you're right that the AT is a national park. Of course, the trail goes through some national parks, Shenendoah NP for instance, and you can't fly there, but otherwise, it would depend on what agency manages that section.

Reactions: Jhackl1
Ask the NPS which sections of the AT are managed by the NPS, and which sections are managed by other agencies. There may be some wiggle room there. Unlike the PCT, seems the NPS is hording the responsibility and management oversight of the AT.

I'll toss in I'm not an expert at these things and am in a learning phase myself.

Can't you just find some private property to take off and land from? Probably several places near where you want to shoot.

If the parks services want to provide what they consider safe launch points, I'll use them and follow their rules. If not, I'll find a place I think is safe enough to get the shot I want. It's unreasonable to ban drones entirely in huge areas.

Looks to be a couple of hundred meters either side of the trail:

IMG_80AD0807A7DD-1.jpeg

Curious what you did when you went?
I live relatively close by there. I had thought maybe take off from the road on a pull off spot down from the parking area on NC side.

I ended up not flying. But if I went back I'd pull off the road before I got to the parking area and fly parallel down Roan.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851