DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I turn on M3P with wings closed?

dji30t

Reactions
Hi,

I usually attach USB-C cord to M3P to download images to my laptop after I get home. The drone wings are usually folder and when I turn on the drone the propellors jiggle a little
when it starts. Do I need to extend the wings every time I turn the MP3 on? Can propellor damage be caused if wings are folded in?

I seem to remember someone around here saying, YES, you can do that. Obviously, I am NOT certain. I havent tried it with my $2k M3. lol
Just telling you what I read around here early this year.

Reactions: James in the Desert
If the drone would be damaged in this way, I would think DJI would prevent it which can be easily done.

Personally, I wouldn't do that with props on for safety reasons.
If somehow a CSC type start up ever happened with props on, it would be ugly.

With bayonet type prop fitting, I would take them off if wanting to do this regularly.
Or, just open the arms, it takes what about 10 seconds ?

Personally, I wouldn't do that with props on for safety reasons.
If somehow a CSC type start up ever happened with props on, it would be ugly.

With bayonet type prop fitting, I would take them off if wanting to do this regularly.
Or, just open the arms, it takes what about 10 seconds ?
Accidentally start the motors up with props on while the drone is on the table and with usb connected to a computer would certainly be very uggly and potentially with dire consequences, arms folded or open. I make sure I have the controller off and with me, so CSC can not be performed. I regularly turn the drone on with arms folded for file transfer, no harm done so far

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hi,

I usually attach USB-C cord to M3P to download images to my laptop after I get home. The drone wings are usually folder and when I turn on the drone the propellors jiggle a little
when it starts. Do I need to extend the wings every time I turn the MP3 on? Can propellor damage be caused if wings are folded in?
You can but should not according to the manual.

Hi,

If it's questionable, it takes five seconds to just open the legs.

Reactions: James in the Desert
Hi,

The answer is Yes you can, just removed the gimble cover or it can get an error. . I have done it multiple times with no issues. For firmware updates or upload of pics and video.

Why not eject the SD card and put it in a card reader? My file transfers are quicker that way.
Of course that is possible. Some people do it that way, some do not like taking the card out every time they need to download files for number of reasons. One, fearing the card ejecting mechanism might fail over time and also it is fiddly and quite difficult to get the card out without tweezers.
But most importantly that is not what the OP asked 🙂

Of course that is possible. Some people do it that way, some do not like taking the card out every time they need to download files for number of reasons. One, fearing the card ejecting mechanism might fail over time and also it is fiddly and quite difficult to get the card out without tweezers.
But most importantly that is not what the OP asked 🙂
Fair enough. Thx.

Yes, you can turn on Mavic 3 with folded arms to transfer files to the computer. But you MUST first remove the cover completely, not to block the gimbal and propellers

Yes, you can turn on Mavic 3 with folded arms to transfer files to the computer. But you MUST first remove the cover completely, not to block the gimbal and propellers
Not sure why. I only unbuckle the strap to get access to the port and leave the muzzle on the gimbal. There is enough room inside for the gimbal to do the moves. Never had any problems.

Not sure why. I only unbuckle the strap to get access to the port and leave the muzzle on the gimbal. There is enough room inside for the gimbal to do the moves. Never had any problems.
I just follow the opinion of an expert (I don’t remember who), I read a few months ago. So I remove it, as this is not a big problem. Perhaps not only the gimball, but also propellers need to be free and not blocked while turning on and initializing the drone. But maybe even this precaution is not necessary, as you write.

As someone mentioned, you must have them folded for the IMU calibration process, so it can’t do any damage 👍🏻

Reactions: Filmarik
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope