DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I use velcro to mount my strobe on Mavic Battery

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Hi All- just opened and started to install the Firehouse Technologies 4 strobe white model on my Mavic Air and realized that the only place to ut the strobe on the bottom of the bird would be on the battery!. Since I have 4 batteries, I want to be able to move the strobe to each battery, rather than mount it on the top of the drone where the visibility would not be as good for me. So I was thinking about not using the 3M double stick piece that came with the strobe and buying velcro for each battery. Any comments of pros, cons, or risks to this approach?

That'll work out just fine if you use a strong/durable Velcro product like 3M Dual Lock.

I've used velcro many times. I would make sure it's on the bottom (which you said you are) so that if something does come loose it's no where near the props.

That'll work out just fine if you use a strong/durable Velcro product like 3M Dual Lock.
I went to the 3M Dual Lock link that you sent to me and there was a large selection. What size do you recommend? It's really got to be small for this little strobe unit, I guess.

The size at this link would be good for a few lights. If you need more than a few small strips, then it would be cheaper to buy this roll. I think 1/2 inch Dual Lock would be a good choice since the battery on that light is just a little over 1/2 inch wide.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Consider the mounts from Aerial Pixel for a leg. Easy on and off and can charge the ARC2s in the mounts. See near the bottom of the page.

Reactions: BigAl07
The size at this link would be good for a few lights. If you need more than a few small strips, then it would be cheaper to buy this roll. I think 1/2 inch Dual Lock would be a good choice since the battery on that light is just a little over 1/2 inch wide.

View attachment 77626
I bought this roll upon your recommendation, Amazon will deliver it tomorrow. Will let you all know how it works out when I try it out. This forum is a lifesaver for us - Thanks to all.

Reactions: msinger and Roy A
I bought this roll upon your recommendation, Amazon will deliver it tomorrow. Will let you all know how it works out when I try it out. This forum is a lifesaver for us - Thanks to all.
You will like it. I’ve been using it on my older 3DR drones to hold much larger items on the drone like the telemetry radios. It will lock the devices on very well.

Let us know how it works for your strobe.

...I want to be able to move the strobe to each battery, rather than mount it on the top of the drone where the visibility would not be as good for me.
I'm not sure where you are located, but in the U.S. the main idea behind the use of the strobes is so other aircraft (mainly manned aircraft) can see yours—not necessarily for you to see it (although it helps).

I'm not sure where you are located, but in the U.S. the main idea behind the use of the strobes is so other aircraft (mainly manned aircraft) can see yours—not necessarily for you to see it (although it helps).
I’m getting Firehouse LEDs - but I must admit I’m getting them to extend VLOS! More so than for other aircraft... Although that’s a bonus!

Hi All- just opened and started to install the Firehouse Technologies 4 strobe white model on my Mavic Air and realized that the only place to ut the strobe on the bottom of the bird would be on the battery!. Since I have 4 batteries, I want to be able to move the strobe to each battery, rather than mount it on the top of the drone where the visibility would not be as good for me. So I was thinking about not using the 3M double stick piece that came with the strobe and buying velcro for each battery. Any comments of pros, cons, or risks to this approach?

This is what my BIL did with his Air, only I got him a FHT Spark strobe (the strobe brand name from FHT), and it's pretty good there.
Yes it's mounted with dual lock, and solid as.
It's a fair bit larger and heavier than an ARCII.

IMG_4618.jpg

I used dual lock and a back up dob of urethane adhesive on my M1P in various places, so I can swap out FHT dials or ARCIIS as I feel the need.
Often though, I don't need the strobes, just flying close and in a safe area.

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4590.JPG

I’m getting Firehouse LEDs - but I must admit I’m getting them to extend VLOS! More so than for other aircraft... Although that’s a bonus!
Since this thread has begun, I have sold my Mavic Air and now use the Mavic 2 Pro. I use the same Firehouse strobe on the bottom of the drone just behind the gimbal and it does not affect the flight in any way. The Velcro patch is on each battery and I switch it as needed, no problem whatsoever.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman