DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Litchi waypoints be set with LAT/LON coordinates?

iowahill

Reactions
I have Litchi but haven't played with it yet for a mapping need. I have an 80-acre mining property that is irregularly laid out in legal land survey format. I've been able to locate each corner of the subdivided sections with LAT/LON positions and wish to correlate those locations to actual ground markers for purpose of general location. So my intent is to use my Mavic Pro and Litchi to fly each LAT/LON way point to locate the general ground positions.

If this is covered by previous posts would someone please point me in the right direction?

Reactions: mereflyer
You can use Litchi with Google Earth Pro (now free - not Litchi) and it is really easy. You can set elevation and of course you can choose waypoints via Lat/Lon in Google Earth - but it may be easier just going by sight?

Just did a 10 second search and here is a video of how - not sure how good the video is but I am sure there are many more. When it is back in the Litchi website, you can set your points of interest for the camera to focus on and it will fly the same route pretty precisely. Here is a video I did comparing Polar Pro filters a while back. Not awesome but you can see it flew the same route/mission each time and all I did was hit go. A few minutes later it was back.

Last edited:
I have Litchi but haven't played with it yet for a mapping need. I have an 80-acre mining property that is irregularly laid out in legal land survey format. I've been able to locate each corner of the subdivided sections with LAT/LON positions and wish to correlate those locations to actual ground markers for purpose of general location. So my intent is to use my Mavic Pro and Litchi to fly each LAT/LON way point to locate the general ground positions.
Enter each into the Mission Hub to make way-points. Left click to make an arbitrary way-point first then you'll see where to enter the coordinates.

Here is a video I put together some time ago to show how one can enter the same Latitude or Longitude Coordinates within Lichti to be able to true up thier straight flight path. Instead of trying to use the mouse to make perfectly straight lines.

Here is a video I put together some time ago to show how one can enter the same Latitude or Longitude Coordinates within Litchi to be able to true up thier straight flight path. Instead of trying to use the mouse to make perfectly straight lines.

For the first time after many months after buying Litchi I finally sat down for a couple of hours and started playing with it on my iPad Pro. I also was playing with Mission Hub on my desktop. I couldn't seem to find Mission Hub on my iPad, but was getting distracted by the call to dinner. I'll play with it this morning and try a test mission with my MP1 later.

Many thanks to you folks who've given me pointers and ambition!

You just open a web browser on the Ipad Pro and then go to www.flylichi.com/hub

You cannot open the Hub from the Lichti app on the Ipad Pro , but you can create a mission on the Lichti app and upload it to the hub from the Ipad Pro.

I'm sure your directions make sense, but somehow it just hasn't sunk in for me yet. I thought I tried that yesterday but will try again. Another respondent to another of my posts suggested laying out my LAT/LON waypoints in Google Earth Pro, then saving them to a file (xxx.KLM?) which is then imported to Mission Hub.

I'll play with this a little later today, and thank you for the tip!

You can use Litchi with Google Earth Pro (now free - not Litchi) and it is really easy. You can set elevation and of course you can choose waypoints via Lat/Lon in Google Earth - but it may be easier just going by sight?

Just did a 10 second search and here is a video of how - not sure how good the video is but I am sure there are many more. When it is back in the Litchi website, you can set your points of interest for the camera to focus on and it will fly the same route pretty precisely. Here is a video I did comparing Polar Pro filters a while back. Not awesome but you can see it flew the same route/mission each time and all I did was hit go. A few minutes later it was back.

I really like the comment that I just hit go and a few min later it came back, which brings me to my question, does the drone need to communicate with the remote or was it largely autonomous? If it has to communicate are you in limited range Wi-Fi control or the longer range RC control while using lictchi?

I really like the comment that I just hit go and a few min later it came back, which brings me to my question, does the drone need to communicate with the remote or was it largely autonomous? If it has to communicate are you in limited range Wi-Fi control or the longer range RC control?

A good question. My thinking is that the mission is stored in the bird and works autonomously because if the bird loses its link with the controller the RTH function kicks in (if enabled) to follow either the backtrack waypoints, or shortest distance to Home Point (depending on your settings).

But we need confirmation from the more enlightened community who use Litchi.

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyHours
A good question. My thinking is that the mission is stored in the bird and works autonomously because if the bird loses its link with the controller the RTH function kicks in (if enabled) to follow either the backtrack waypoints, or shortest distance to Home Point (depending on your settings).

But We need confirmation from the more enlightened community who use Litchi.

The mission is uploaded to the aircraft at the beginning so it will continue to run even if the link to the controller is lost. I believe there is message shown on the screen at the start that says "uploading mission" or something like that.

Reactions: iowahill
You are all correct. It uploads the mission to the MP and proceeds on its own. It will return to its starting point when finished. I usually program mission in a loop so it ends up hovering where I take off. As far as Wi-Fi vs RC, I never use the wifi anyway.... But it is a moot point since it goes on its own.

But we need confirmation from the more enlightened community who use Litchi.

If communication with the Remote Controller is lost the Mission just continues as it would with communication. It is a real shocker the first time the signal is lost with the Remote Controller and one starts to freak out.

This illustrates why it is SUPER important to make sure that your last Waypoint of the Lichti Mission be very near your take off / Home Point Location. That way in the off chance that signal is lost then the Mavic flys back to a point near you so that one can take over control and fly manually if needed.

RTH is not initiated once signal is lost when running a Lichti Mission . It completes the Mission.

If communication with the Remote Controller is lost the Mission just continues as it would with communication. It is a real shocker the first time the signal is lost with the Remote Controller and one starts to freak out.

This illustrates why it is SUPER important to make sure that your last Waypoint of the Lichti Mission be very near your take off / Home Point Location. That way in the off chance that signal is lost then the Mavic flys back to a point near you so that one can take over control and fly manually if needed.

RTH is not initiated once signal is lost when running a Lichti Mission . It completes the Mission.

Good to know that RTH is not enabled when running a Litchi mission. Many thanks!

Reactions: HappyHours
Well thats not exactly the case. DJIGO4 's version of RTH is not active as Lichti requires DJIGO4 to be shut down in order to function properly.

However, one can still press and hold the RTH button on the Remote Controller.

Question: What happens if you have NOT completed a loop and the bird hits the last waypoint? If the controller is out of range and GO4 is disabled will it come back, assuming enough battery?

My gosh! The variables are confounding! ;)

There are Finish Actions that one can set.

None- Drone Hovers at last waypoint
RTH - Drone Returns to last recorded Home point after flying to last Waypoint
Land- Drone lands at last waypoint
Back to 1 - Drone flys back to First Waypoint
Reverse- Drone stops at last waypoint and hovers UNLESS one pulls the right stick backwards. Then drone flys from the last waypoint in a reverse direction at the speed one controls with the right stick. Reverse does not fly back for you it only allows one to fly back the same waypoint path in reverse manually.

1545238997237.png

There are Finish Actions that one can set.

None- Drone Hovers at last waypoint
RTH - Drone Returns to last recorded Home point after flying to last Waypoint
Land- Drone lands at last waypoint
Back to 1 - Drone flys back to First Waypoint
Reverse- Drone stops at last waypoint and hovers UNLESS one pulls the right stick backwards. Then drone flys from the last waypoint in a reverse direction at the speed one controls with the right stick. Reverse does not fly back for you it only allows one to fly back the same waypoint path in reverse manually.

View attachment 56294

I saw this screen and the choices but just wanted to clarify in the event the controller disconnected. As always, thanks!

Try it in the Litchi Mission hub. Drop a few points and see. It will give you options of what you can do at each point. Beginning = start recording, etc. Not that difficult but you should try it. May even be easier than posting questions.

Open Litchi Mission Hub on a computer. Click Missions in the bottom left, then New. Left click to drop a pin for your path or right click to drop a Point of Interest. (as seen with the camera on the top of the screen shot below - the MP will focus on that POI or you can drop many and tell the MP where to look for each pin dropped)

At the bottom right you can see the actions you can add to each point so you can start recording at point 1, stop at point 9 and point 11 is returning back to you... You can adjust the altitude at each point, etc. This is showing you option at the highlighted point 11. If you start camera at 1 it will just continue to record until you choose a place to stop it so you do not have to add an action at each point.

Litchi.jpg

One cool thing - once you have everything set in the Litchi Hub, export to Google Earth as a KML then open it. If you tilt the view it will show you the elevation and if you hover over it gives you even more detail. See below. You can see the elevation changes I made to a couple points with the elevation slider. And, just reiterating that you should play with the Mission Hub, I made the path as a demo for you which took all of about 45 seconds (changing elevation added maybe another minute) , and exporting to Google Earth about another 10 seconds.

Try it.

Litchi_GE.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
56cbr600rr