DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Litchi waypoints be set with LAT/LON coordinates?

Try it in the Litchi Mission hub. Drop a few points and see. It will give you options of what you can do at each point. Beginning = start recording, etc. Not that difficult but you should try it. May even be easier than posting questions.

Open Litchi Mission Hub on a computer. Click Missions in the bottom left, then New. Left click to drop a pin for your path or right click to drop a Point of Interest. (as seen with the camera on the top of the screen shot below - the MP will focus on that POI or you can drop many and tell the MP where to look for each pin dropped)

At the bottom right you can see the actions you can add to each point so you can start recording at point 1, stop at point 9 and point 11 is returning back to you... You can adjust the altitude at each point, etc. This is showing you option at the highlighted point 11. If you start camera at 1 it will just continue to record until you choose a place to stop it so you do not have to add an action at each point.

View attachment 56295

Thanks for the reply. Personally, I'd rather ask a few questions beforehand than face a retrieval mission! But I think I've got a fair grasp and HAVE been planning a couple of missions, one is local at our flying field and another to mark the GPS corners of my mining property (which is where I DEFINITELY want to have confidence in the mission!).

My students are taking finals right now and I am procrastinating --- if you PM me the coordinates of your mission you would like to fly, I'd be happy to set up an example of a mission for you....

Reactions: iowahill
One cool thing - once you have everything set in the Litchi Hub, export to Google Earth as a KML then open it. If you tilt the view it will show you the elevation and if you hover over it gives you even more detail. See below. You can see the elevation changes I made to a couple points with the elevation slider. And, just reiterating that you should play with the Mission Hub, I made the path as a demo for you which took all of about 45 seconds (changing elevation added maybe another minute) , and exporting to Google Earth about another 10 seconds.

Try it.

View attachment 56297

I was trying to figure out how to handle KML files, and I think you've added another layer of understanding. I DID generate a KML file with Google Earth Pro using LAT/LON coordinates which I was going to try importing into Litchi as a Mission. I should be able to get in the air with a test mission later today or tomorrow, weather and winds permitting.

Thanks!

My students are taking finals right now and I am procrastinating --- if you PM me the coordinates of your mission you would like to fly, I'd be happy to set up an example of a mission for you....

I used LegalLandSurvey.com to get LAT/LON coordinates for my somewhat irregular claim corner locations, then entered them into Google Earth Pro, pinned each as a waypoint, then generated a KML file that I would then import into Litchi. The satellite view shows what our claim boundaries should be. But I'll PM the coordinates to you in a while so that you can verify that my approach works as planned. Thanks!

Can you upload your KML file here? I would like to prefly your mission using VLM and Google Earth.

Having a problem with Google Earth and KML file saves. I placed about 15 or so pins at each GPS location (derived from LSS) and saved as a KML file. If I click on the file GE loads and displays all pins. But when I try loading the file into Litchi it only shows the last pin and not the others.

When I open the left side panel in GE I can see each pin, and am able to turn them on and off by unchecking each box to the left of the pin ID.

I haven't figured out what's going on (or not) yet!

Go the other way with it. Open Lichti Mission Hub.
View the Video below on Youtube so it will be clearer.
Follow the video I posted.

Then once you are finished you can pre fly the Mission using Lichti Virtual Mission or VLM within Google Earth.

Then once you are finished you can pre fly the Mission using Lichti Virtual Mission or VLM within Google Earth.

Yes, I read and watched that earlier in another of my posts and thank you again, but still wonder why I can't save all pins in GE. Entering decimal GPS LAT/LON coordinates into GE was tedious, and I was looking for a way to copy/paste the table from GE into someplace like notebook for easier loading.

I realize that GE is a freeby and support is ad hoc, but if I'm missing a trick or workaround such knowledge would really be helpful!

Thanks again BD!

Rather than trying to figure out GE I went ahead and am entering my LAT/LON settings in Mission Hub as you suggested. I can see the wisdom as altitude, recording, snapshot, etc can all be set for each waypoint. And viewing the planned flight in GE beforehand really makes sense for me given the obstructions from trees and vertical dropoffs.

Still, if there are some hidden tricks in GE I'd sure like to know them, especially ability to access and edit the layers if possible.

Rather than trying to figure out GE I went ahead and am entering my LAT/LON settings in Mission Hub as you suggested. I can see the wisdom as altitude, recording, snapshot, etc can all be set for each waypoint. And viewing the planned flight in GE beforehand really makes sense for me given the obstructions from trees and vertical dropoffs.

Still, if there are some hidden tricks in GE I'd sure like to know them, especially ability to access and edit the layers if possible.

I’m not in front of my computer but I think you may have to draw a path in GE rather than simple waypoints. I’ll check tomorrow.

Once you have the Lichti Mission all setup and saved. Then Export the File as .kml. Then open the file using the tool VLM. Found here Virtual Litchi Mission

Then you can open the Mission in Google Earth and manipulate the layers.

You can grab the Lat and Long with a swipe of your mouse over the coordinate and then just press CTRL-C to copy and then open a notepad instance and CTRL-V to paste that coordinate. Repeat...

Then highlight the coordinates from Notepad and CTRL-C and CTRL-V to paste into Lichti.

I’m not in front of my computer but I think you may have to draw a path in GE rather than simple waypoints. I’ll check tomorrow.

I just got through planning the flight with Mission Hub and am about to load into Google Earth for a preview. I need the precision of entering GPS coordinates and don't know if I can do that in GE drawing paths. More to experiment with though!

I would just plan it in Lichti as I mentioned as you will be flying the path using Lichti anyways! Are you going to share the Mission as Public? There is a tickbox within the box when one saves the Mission. Then I can view it as well as others using the Mission Hub and the name of the Mission.

Also , you will need to setup POI's (points of interest) so that the camera points at them during the Mission. Unless you just want the camera to point straight ahead during the entire Mission.

Once you have the Lichti Mission all setup and saved. Then Export the File as .kml. Then open the file using the tool VLM. Found here Virtual Litchi Mission

Then you can open the Mission in Google Earth and manipulate the layers.

You can grab the Lat and Long with a swipe of your mouse over the coordinate and then just press CTRL-C to copy and then open a notepad instance and CTRL-V to paste that coordinate. Repeat...

Then highlight the coordinates from Notepad and CTRL-C and CTRL-V to paste into Lichti.

Got the Litchi mission loaded into GE and all looks good. I'll plan a short mission around here as a test before heading up the mountain on Sunday.

As always, many thanks to you and all for the tips!

Be prepared to alter the Mission from the field to really dial it in. You can program the C1 or C2 buttons on the bottom of the Remote Controller to add a waypoint to a mission as well. So if you flew to the location and found that you were slightly off you could add the correct Waypoint with a click of the C1 or C2 whichever you programmed to set waypoints within DJIGO4.

Practice this perhaps on your test flight so that if the need arises you can add Waypoints.

Also, The Sport Mode switch on the side of the Remote is a fast way to stop a Mission if something gets out of control. Or the Pause Button works as well. Keep those in mind.

I would just plan it in Lichti as I mentioned as you will be flying the path using Lichti anyways! Are you going to share the Mission as Public? There is a tickbox within the box when one saves the Mission. Then I can view it as well as others using the Mission Hub and the name of the Mission.

Also , you will need to setup POI's (points of interest) so that the camera points at them during the Mission. Unless you just want the camera to point straight ahead during the entire Mission.

Because of the sensitive nature of mining claims and the need for restricting access and privacy I won't be making the flight public. But I can PM the KML file to you for your interest as long as it's not shared.

You've been a great help and I feel like I've broken through that invisible barrier!

Question: If I start recording on takeoff with a planned mission can I also have the bird take a snapshot at specific POI's while STILL recording the entire flight?

Because of the sensitive nature of mining claims and the need for restricting access and privacy I won't be making the flight public. But I can PM the KML file to you for your interest as long as it's not shared.

You've been a great help and I feel like I've broken through that invisible barrier!
Dont sweat it! Was just kinda interested in the mission.

As far as Recording Video of the entire mission AND snapping photos at various POI's. I am unsure. I guess you could try it during your test mission.

Dont sweat it! Was just kinda interested in the mission.

As far as Recording Video of the entire mission AND snapping photos at various POI's. I am unsure. I guess you could try it during your test mission.

I'll PM the KML. I'm going to do some adjustments for altitude at various waypoints and maybe add some POI's after experimenting locally tomorrow. And I'll try taking snapshots while recording on the test flights too. That should be interesting!

I'll PM the KML. I'm going to do some adjustments for altitude at various waypoints and maybe add some POI's after experimenting locally tomorrow. And I'll try taking snapshots while recording on the test flights too. That should be interesting!

Haven't figured out how to PM the KML file to you for review. Any pointers?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotszamana