DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Local Police Ask To See Drone License

License and Registration, please.

The better question is are you required to show your drone registration. The answer is yes.

In the very near, but TPD future, you will also be required to show your pilot's license. The requirement exists today, but the FAA has yet to create the test. Once the test has been implemented, one will have to carry and show proof of passing the test (AKA, a pilot's license). The test is required regardless of the weight of the drone.

Nick
The very first question is are you even required to register at all.
If not, and you are flying the Mini as a hobbyist, you can tell them you are exempt. No requirement to show anything. They only have jurisdiction to ask for proof from nonexempt drone pilots.

Reactions: Kb8mcz
If not, and you are flying the Mini as a hobbyist, you can tell them you are exempt. No requirement to show anything. They only have jurisdiction to ask for proof from nonexempt drone pilots.
I would suggest that that the issue of jurisdiction might well be solved at the police station if no registration could be produced. LEO may not be current as they have more important things to study and to do.

I would suggest that that the issue of jurisdiction might well be solved at the police station if no registration could be produced. LEO may not be current as they have more important things to study and to do.
Indeed. Certainly a possibility. Best to carry the FAA regs with you, to establish your immunity! I hope the Mini sells like hotcakes, so that the LEO's get bored of rousting Mini owners, and leave the rest of us alone, too! Similar to walking into CostCo and refusing to show your membership card because you are only there to buy alcohol or a prescription, for which no membership card is required! ;)

Reactions: Kb8mcz and Thomas B
I don't know if the Mini will make a difference for the good because of its weight. If anything my guess is more newbies will think they can fly as they wish because they don't have to register and follow FAA rules. WRONG! Time will tell. I mean in most circumstances LEO's (at least in my neck of the woods) don't even know the more common Rec rules... No flying over people, occupied building, cars, roadways and such. The suggested spying or annoyance with the public seems to spark their interest more whether or not it is really happening. Egg on the face of LE? Perhaps. I can see it now, LE must carry a scale to determine the weight of a particular drone. Sorry I don't see that happening. Yes it might end up in court, and LE might lose, but in the end if drones (and I hate that word) continue to be a problem with occupied airspace, the FAA might take more actions against rec fliers.
[edit] Actually I hope you're right GadgetGuy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I don't know if the Mini will make a difference for the good because of its weight. If anything my guess is more newbies will think they can fly as they wish because they don't have to register and follow FAA rules. WRONG! Time will tell. I mean in most circumstances LEO's (at least in my neck of the woods) don't even know the more common Rec rules... No flying over people, occupied building, cars, roadways and such. The suggested spying or annoyance with the public seems to spark their interest more whether or not it is really happening. Egg on the face of LE? Perhaps. I can see it now, LE must carry a scale to determine the weight of a particular drone. Sorry I don't see that happening. Yes it might end up in court, and LE might lose, but in the end if drones (and I hate that word) continue to be a problem with occupied airspace, the FAA might take more actions against rec fliers.
I think we are overlooking the primary reason behind the 250g minimum for hobbyist pilot registration: safety. Anything under 250g is so light weight that it really is a toy, and the potential for damage is minimal. DJI has come a long way from the Inspires and the Phantoms, which were big enough and heavy enough to do some real damage. The entire flying Mavic Mini weighs less than the battery inside the M2. Even if the sky were to start raining down Mavic Minis, no one is likely to get hurt. They are all geofenced anyway, so no harm to aviation either. The threat from 249g drones is de minimus.

"Legal principle based on the Latin maxim 'de minimus non curat lex,' the law does not consider itself with trifles. It is applied in cases where the authorities refrain from prosecuting because of the relative insignificance of an offense."

Actually, anyone flying a drone today, or any other RC aircraft, is technically required to take, pass, and carry proof of passing, a pilot's knowledge test. This is essentially a license. The only reason we are not already carrying this proof is because the FAA has yet to actually implement the test.

If the drone weights 250g, or more, the operator must also have the drone registered and carry proof of the registration. The ONLY FAA rule a drone under 250g is exempted from is the requirement to register if the drone is for recreational use only. All other FAA rules still apply.

Thus, a police officer may, and probably will, ask for BOTH, as in 'License and registration, please'.

Nick

Back when I was an FAA Designated Examiner when I Issued a new Certificate to a person who had successfully passed the Oral and Practical Exam I'd explain that it is the law to "present" their new FAA Certificate when asked by a Law Enforcement Officer. I'd also explain that the law stated that the Certificate would have to be Presented (shown) to the officer, not given, as handing or giving your Certificate to a Law Enforcement Officer
you'd be surrendering your Certificate and more often than not it would be kept by the officer. In as much as I've been flying as Pilot in Command since the 1950s I learned the hard way! Beside flying Single and Heavy Multi Engine Airplanes I also flew Single and Multi Engine Helicopters, and I'd often land
Helicopters in places that I'd be aproached by Law Officers demanding that I hand them my Certificate. A lot of Law Officers wouldn't know the actual FAA Regulations and since I didn't want to chance losing my Certificate so I always had photocopies which I'd give them. So, unless the laws have changed since I was an FAA Deignated Examiner I wouldn't risk losing my Certificate!
Was just a thought, I have my drone license but was wondering if flying in the United States can a police officer ask to see your drone license ?

Actually, anyone flying a drone today, or any other RC aircraft, is technically required to take, pass, and carry proof of passing, a pilot's knowledge test. This is essentially a license. The only reason we are not already carrying this proof is because the FAA has yet to actually implement the test.

If the drone weights 250g, or more, the operator must also have the drone registered and carry proof of the registration. The ONLY FAA rule a drone under 250g is exempted from is the requirement to register if the drone is for recreational use only. All other FAA rules still apply.

Thus, a police officer may, and probably will, ask for BOTH, as in 'License and registration, please'.

Nick
There is no pilot's knowledge test currently in place for hobbyists. The OP's question was present time, not sometime in the future.

Back when I was an FAA Designated Examiner when I Issued a new Certificate to a person who had successfully passed the Oral and Practical Exam I'd explain that it is the law to "present" their new FAA Certificate when asked by a Law Enforcement Officer. I'd also explain that the law stated that the Certificate would have to be Presented (shown) to the officer, not given, as handing or giving your Certificate to a Law Enforcement Officer
you'd be surrendering your Certificate and more often than not it would be kept by the officer. In as much as I've been flying as Pilot in Command since the 1950s I learned the hard way! Beside flying Single and Heavy Multi Engine Airplanes I also flew Single and Multi Engine Helicopters, and I'd often land
Helicopters in places that I'd be aproached by Law Officers demanding that I hand them my Certificate. A lot of Law Officers wouldn't know the actual FAA Regulations and since I didn't want to chance losing my Certificate so I always had photocopies which I'd give them. So, unless the laws have changed since I was an FAA Deignated Examiner I wouldn't risk losing my Certificate!
Excellent advice! A photo of the Certificate on your phone also satisfies all the legal requirements of "presentation." Hopefully, the LEO won't decide to confiscate your phone!

When I took my 107 exam this month the test center said they have been getting LEO's taking the 107 test on a daily basis so it seems they may be having them get certified so they know the regulations.
He mentioned this was a big increase.

When I took my 107 exam this month the test center said they have been getting LEO's taking the 107 test on a daily basis so it seems they may be having them get certified so they know the regulations.
That seems like overkill, simply for LEO enforcement purposes. The relevant sections for LEO's could fit on a business card, and the FAA has already created one for that purpose!
It could use some minor embellishment, but everything would still fit on a business card.

I know a few cops, most of them wouldn't know "drone licesne" from a Costco card. It's not something they are trained to deal with. But I'd tell them no.

With the continued increase in the number of drones being flown and a continued increase in the number of complaints about them, and the possibility of litigation for mishandling a complaint, I am sure LEO departments will increase the training for their personnel.

Considering the usefulness of drones, I would be surprised if more police departments don't develop a drone program. This means they would have educated, certified members that would also be a resource for the non-certified LEOs that respond to complaints. With the popularity of drones, I am sure there are LEOs that have their own personal drones and are certified.

Remember, if the LEO shows up, they have been most likely assigned to answer a complaint about you and/or your drone. Becoming defensive at the onset will only set the stage for the entire interaction. Before the comments even start about negative experiences with a LEO, I will agree with you there are jerks in every profession. With over 20 years in law enforcement I have seen badge heavy cops that think they know it all, and really don’t – thankfully they are the exception.

UPDATE
Here is a police department that has embraced the use of sUAS
Splendora, Texas Police Department

Last edited:

More and more Emergency Services and Law Enforcement departments are creating internal UAS programs. Many set the very min standards to entry into the program as Part 107. Usually they go further to submit for a COA but having all pilots also be Part 107 opens other avenues of deployment that could not be flown under a COA.

Now wait a minute, If you are a recreational flyer than you would not have or need a license. You are required to register and have the numbers displayed however I very much doubt any police officer would ask for a license seeing as you don't need one and they, the police, are typically unaware of what is required or what the drone rules are. In fact seeing as I do work for the local police I had to educate them regarding rules and part 107. They were completely oblivious to anything drone related and in fact they were going to buy a drone and just start flying it around not knowing that it would require license and registration (seems odd when that is normally the first thing they ask for when stopping cars)
However if asked yes you have to show registration.

Was just a thought, I have my drone license but was wondering if flying in the United States can a police officer ask to see your drone license ?
Yes they can. Any law enforcement can. The FAA does not have a police force - they rely for the most part on regular law enforcement.

Now wait a minute, If you are a recreational flyer than you would not have or need a license. You are required to register and have the numbers displayed however I very much doubt any police officer would ask for a license seeing as you don't need one and they, the police, are typically unaware of what is required or what the drone rules are. In fact seeing as I do work for the local police I had to educate them regarding rules and part 107. They were completely oblivious to anything drone related and in fact they were going to buy a drone and just start flying it around not knowing that it would require license and registration (seems odd when that is normally the first thing they ask for when stopping cars)
However if asked yes you have to show registration.
Yes it's a tricky area depends if you are flying recreationally or not. If you are not flying recreationally - then yes they can ask for license. If not - just prove you have registration ID on drone.

I think FAR 61.3 (i) applies to this situation

(l) Inspection of certificate. Each person who holds an airman certificate, temporary document in accordance with paragraph (a)(1)(v) or (vi) of this section, medical certificate, documents establishing alternative medical qualification under part 68 of this chapter, authorization, or license required by this part must present it and their photo identification as described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section for inspection upon a request from:
(1) The Administrator;
(2) An authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board;
(3) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer; or
(4) An authorized representative of the Transportation Security Administration.

Reactions: Ex Coelis

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61