DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Local Police Ask To See Drone License

I have been asked by the Palm beach county Sheriff if my drone is registered

Does a Magic Pro need registration numbers?

Yes, a Mavic PRO needs to be registered in the USA.

If a UAS weighs between 250g (0.56-lbs) and 55-lbs, it needs to be registered and display its registration number. Anything over 55-lbs goes through a different FAA certification and registration process.

Yes, local law folks can ask for, and you must show them your UAV registration document, the registration number on the UAV, and any COA or waver document(s).

They can ask to see your Part 107 certificate (and/or recreational pilot’s certificate when the FAA implements the program). However, apparently there is no current law that says that you have to show anyone these pilot certificates. I assume the FAA is working to fixing this hole in the regs.

In any case, I corporate with the police and wear copies of my recreational and Part 107 papers on a lanyard around my neck in plain sight. I keep copies of my papers in DropBox, which I can access with my cell phone if needed. I also wear an orange vest that says “Pilot” when I’m flying commercially. If anyone wanted to see my papers, I would ask to see and record their ID as well.

I’ve never been confronted by the police, or anyone, but they seem to enjoy watching me fly my fixed-wing and multi-rotor UAVs. I’ve talked to several police who were watching after flights and in each case, they seem interested in the hobby and technology. I was the one that mentioned the regulations during these conversations.

I’m an older guy who flys responsibly - always away from people. I guess I’m not bothering anyone so folks leave me alone. I am preconditioned to stop flying and leave if anyone appears to want to use the space I’m using. For commercial flights, I notify adjacent property owners in person or with printed fliers if they aren’t home. I also get permission to be on adjacent properties when needed to maintain VLOS.

The FAA will need to rely on local police to enforce the regulations, but I suspect that the police won’t bother unless someone complains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedi5150 and JS1600
In Canada, if Police ask you it means someone complained and you have to comply, or you will end up in handcuffs. There is no if or buts, just comply and be nice.

Police in Canada will not stop you out of the blue on their own, they always act on someone's complain. If you fly a drone in front of the sign No DRONES they might act, but most likely no, almost always they react on public complain.

Yes they can. Would they... maybe, but likely only if you were doing something dangerous... here’s a link to the FAA authority given to local LEOs to do so:
What would be the requirements for a person on vacation to the USA. ??
Would I have to obtain a license to fly my Mavic Air. ??
If I did, where would I obtain 1 from and what is the cost. ??
I have just come back to Australia from a vacation in Thailand, where you have to be licensed and have Personal Liability Insurance. I tried to set this up with the Civil Aviation Authority Thailand before I went on holiday, and 3 email requests to that authority were ignored. So I just went ahead and flew. I respected their major concern that you do not fly in a National Park. It's such a pity, because they are so beautiful. I guess I was lucky, I didn't get caught. It carries a maximum 100,000 baht fine (au$5,000) and confiscation of the drone, especially if the police officer's son wants a new toy.
So, back to my point. Are there any concessions for a visitor to the USA. ???
If I have to be licensed, what are the costs. ???
Would Insurance be a requirement. ???
How long would it take for me to get a license over there. ???
Can a license be obtained (from who) before I arrive. ???

Thanks heaps if you can give me correct advise.

LeRoy

They can ask just like they can ask for my ID. But if I'm not doing anything against the law they won't get it. That would actually be an invasion of privacy by them.
Know the laws.
Know the rules.
Stand your ground.

What would be the requirements for a person on vacation to the USA. ??
Would I have to obtain a license to fly my Mavic Air. ??
If I did, where would I obtain 1 from and what is the cost. ??
I have just come back to Australia from a vacation in Thailand, where you have to be licensed and have Personal Liability Insurance. I tried to set this up with the Civil Aviation Authority Thailand before I went on holiday, and 3 email requests to that authority were ignored. So I just went ahead and flew. I respected their major concern that you do not fly in a National Park. It's such a pity, because they are so beautiful. I guess I was lucky, I didn't get caught. It carries a maximum 100,000 baht fine (au$5,000) and confiscation of the drone, especially if the police officer's son wants a new toy.
So, back to my point. Are there any concessions for a visitor to the USA. ???
If I have to be licensed, what are the costs. ???
Would Insurance be a requirement. ???
How long would it take for me to get a license over there. ???
Can a license be obtained (from who) before I arrive. ???

Thanks heaps if you can give me correct advise.

LeRoy

Please don’t do here what you did in Thailand. You can’t buy a license. You need to know the regulations, which you can find and read easily online.

Visit the following website which covers your situation in detail:

Briefly, if you plan to fly commercially, you will need to register your drone with the FAA. You can register drones that weigh between 0-lbs and 55-lbs online for $5, and you will need to obtain a Part 107 certificate by passing an FAA 60 question aeronautical knowledge test that can only be taken at specific places and times. These tests are administered by authorized commercial test centers and the cost of taking the exam is as I recall $150 pass or fail. You must also undergo a Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) security screening. More info here:

If you plan to fly for recreation, you will need to register your drone with the FAA. You can register recreational drones that weigh between 0.55-lbs (250-g) and 55-lbs online for $5 and follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization (CBO) like the AMA. More info here:

Drones that weigh more than 55-lbs are registered more like regular aircraft, but you will need at least a waiver for the requirement to have a pilot onboard.

You can register your drone(s) with the FAA here:

For recreational flying you can use one registration number for any number of drones. However, each commercial drone needs its own registration number.

Use apps like the following to know where and when you are permitted to fly:

You are not required to have insurance, but you would be smart to fly with insurance as accident happen. You can get insurance by joining the AMA for $70/yr or by using an app like Verifly to buy insurance by the hour at reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeRoytheBoy
Was just a thought, I have my drone license but was wondering if flying in the United States can a police officer ask to see your drone license ?

Anyone can ask you for anything. I believe the question you want to ask is, "Are you legally required to show a cop your 107 credentials if he asks for it?"

I'm not a lawyer, but it's my understanding that 107 compliance is under Federal jurisdiction, which may mean you don't have to present these credentials to local authorities. It would be like a cop asking you for your Passport.

Discuss.

D

I laminated my registration card and clip it to my clothing when flying.

A Magic Pro is an sUAS that makes itself disappear.

Reactions: Kb8mcz
From the current FAA website is a link to the "Law Enforcement Playbook," and specifically in Section 09.... (link https://www.faa.gov/uas/public_safe...oolkit/media/Public_Safety_Drone_Playbook.pdf )

This is a public document and is very good reading as it answers most of the issues that local law enforcement will deal with. Specific to the point of this thread...

"Law enforcement and public safety officials may ask pilots operating under Part 107 (typically aircraft weighting under 55 lbs and not operated as a recreational or public/government aircraft) for their FAA Remote Pilot Certificate; however, they are not currently required by federal regulation to make their certificate available."

I would also urge those that think local law enforcement have no jurisdiction in matter related to drones - that the FAA goes out of its way to offer alternative enforcement actions - so don't think you are immune from other demands for identification/enforcement action if these other violations come into play....

"LOCAL REGULATIONS that might apply, include, but are not limited to: Trespassing on property from which the drone is operated Disorderly and/or unsafe conduct Interfering with public safety operations Privacy/harassment laws"

"Whether you are a recreational or commercial pilot in the United States you must have your pilot certificate with you in order to exercise the privileges granted by that certificate."

Hi Rangemaster,
Would you be so kind as to enumerate the "privileges" granted by that certificate to us hobbyists? All I see is a "registration" that costs $5 in the USA.

With the continued increase in the number of drones being flown and a continued increase in the number of complaints about them, and the possibility of litigation for mishandling a complaint, I am sure LEO departments will increase the training for their personnel.

Considering the usefulness of drones, I would be surprised if more police departments don't develop a drone program. This means they would have educated, certified members that would also be a resource for the non-certified LEOs that respond to complaints. With the popularity of drones, I am sure there are LEOs that have their own personal drones and are certified.

Remember, if the LEO shows up, they have been most likely assigned to answer a complaint about you and/or your drone. Becoming defensive at the onset will only set the stage for the entire interaction. Before the comments even start about negative experiences with a LEO, I will agree with you there are jerks in every profession. With over 20 years in law enforcement I have seen badge heavy cops that think they know it all, and really don’t – thankfully they are the exception.

UPDATE
Here is a police department that has embraced the use of sUAS
Splendora, Texas Police Department
My police officer son is a 107 certified UAV operator for a Colorado town - he uses the department's UAV for surveillance.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
I need to reprint my certificate. It has the original expiration date and not the current one that FAA apparently extended by almost 2 years.

[QUOTE="Hi Rangemaster, Would you be so kind as to enumerate the "privileges" granted by that certificate to us hobbyists? All I see is a "registration" that costs $5 in the USA.
[/QUOTE]

I’m sure your point is that currently, there is no recreational pilot “certificate” or “license” in the US that grants privileges. Just recreational UAV registration.

The purpose of recreational UAV registration is to facilitate identifying the owner of an aircraft that causes property damage or injury so that the owner can be held responsible.

The FAA is currently working on a program for testing and certifying recreational UAV pilots. Among other things, I assume the purpose of this program is to 1) educate and regulate the clueless, careless, and criminal into compliance with responsible social behavior, 2) to make the airspace safe for commercial interests, and 3) to safeguard the public.

I can see how this may be at the expense of some freedoms or privileges that the FAA currently grants recreational flyers, but change is inevitable, and the FAA didn’t create the change, they are reacting to it while, I hope, trying to keep as many stakeholders happy as possible.

I need to reprint my certificate. It has the original expiration date and not the current one that FAA apparently extended by almost 2 years.
Is this your hobbyist pilot certificate or a 107 certificate?
So no new certificate was issued when you extended it, or did the FAA extend it independently on their own?
By reprinting, do you mean printing the new one with the new expiration date, to replace your old, now expired one, that you have been carrying with you?

It's a small UAS Certificate of Registration. That's what's printed on it.

Obtained Jan 2016, originally was to expire Jan 2019, but FAA site shows it's good until Dec 2020. Probably was extended because of the lawsuit against registration back in 2016 which suspended the operation for several months. Others noticed the extension too.

I wasn't required to register then as I had a Syma at the time. But for $5 I figured why not. Later that year I got a P3A for Christmas so I was already good to go. Slap on a spare sticker and fly.

Other possible reason for the extension was that early adopters were supposed to get their registration fee back as an incentive. That never happened.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000