DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Mavic Pro flip controls when flying towards you?

Archerpilot

Reactions
I've been searching the web and this forum to help answer this. Thank you for any advice.

Can the Mavic Pro be configured to flip its Left/Right when the drone is flying towards you. So don't have to reverse the use of controls to fly left/right?
Thanks again for any pointers.

Mark

@Archerpilot bit confused by your post
you have mentioned the Mavic Pro ,but have posted it in the Mini 2 discussions forum ?
anyway ,with regards to you question ,when any sort of RC controlled device, be it plane, drone, or ground vehicle, or indeed a boat ,is facing directly towards you then unfortunately the controls will be reversed ,its something that has to be mastered

Can the Mavic Pro be configured to flip its Left/Right when the drone is flying towards you. So don't have to reverse the use of controls to fly left/right?

Mark

Hello from the Crossroads of America Archerpilot.

Nice to meet you Mark. 🤝

It's a learning curve that takes practice.

I usually fly backwards when returning to home and landing.

The use of different colored strobe lights on the arms will help in the orientation and muscle memory if flying towards you.

Keep practicing and welcome to the Forum. 😎

Reactions: Grazuncle and Mr. G
you have mentioned the Mavic Pro ,but have posted it in the Mini 2 discussions forum ?
anyway ,with regards to you question ,when any sort of RC controlled device, be it plane, drone, or ground vehicle, or indeed a boat ,is facing directly towards you then unfortunately the controls will be reversed ,its something that has to be mastered
Unless in headless mode which some drones had. Unfortunately you don't see it anymore.

Unless in headless mode which some drones had. Unfortunately you don't see it anymore.
Just beat me to the "Headless Mode" comment... :)

Reactions: dozzn and Tufargon
Just beat me to the "Headless Mode" comment... :)
Here's a video of a guy who was 81 years old when he made the video. He was part of the Autel forum. He made it look mesmerizing. The spinning while doing figure 8's was pretty cool. Music probably helped with that. Same guy would shoot a slingshot and slice a playing card in half from about 30 feet.

Here's a video of a guy who was 81 years old when he made the video.
Was the string thing his way of calibrating the compass? If so what a great idea!!! I am deaf and there are no subtitles.
Wasn't headless "course lock" with the Phantom 3s?

Ohhh I see it in Litchi and possibly "Home lock" too.

Reactions: Scona and Tufargon
Was the string thing his way of calibrating the compass? If so what a great idea!!! I am deaf and there are no subtitles.
Wasn't headless "course lock" with the Phantom 3s?

Ohhh I see it in Litchi and possibly "Home lock" too.
Yeah that was his little thought up idea for calibrating which seemed to work great. The drone he was flying was a 501 Hubsan. I'm not sure about the Phantoms having it, it might have had that option with the different name for. Home lock does sound like it could be the same thing.

It's been a while since I flew my Phantom 3's but they, or rather the Go App, has both Course Lock and Home Lock.
Thinking about it, Course Lock is probably "headless". With Home Lock I am beginning to remember the 'reverse' and 'forward' stick respectively bring the drone back towards the home point and send it away from the home point but might only have worked when the drone was more than a certain distance away. I can't remember what left and right did in Home Lock.

Reactions: Tufargon
It's an old feature we don't see much anymore. It caused more issues because once you fly for a little bit flying "Nose In" becomes 2nd nature. The trick is to practice it a LOT.

Turning around looking over your shoulder (good mention @Captain J Case ) does help and how we've taught many students to get a feel for flying at you. At some point it just "clicks" and you no longer have to even think about it. Your mind automatically does all the calculations in your head on the fly.

Practice, practice, practice.

IMO, much better to train your brain to flip, than to flip the function of the controls - which seems potentially dangerous to me... you may forget that it's flipped and fly into something. And during a typical flight you'd have to be flipping back and forth often - and easy to forget which 'mode' it's in.

Find yourself a wide open space - a public ballpark, a pasture, or similar - and practice flying Figure 8s and toward yourself... you'll get it before you know it and soon enough you'll be able to do it without thinking.

edited: The one thing that helped me the most to learn intuitive stick control was buying a Ryze Tello - the king of the 'toy' drones - and flying it inside in tight spaces. In a well-lit room Tello is very stable, very responsive, and mine has survived many many crashes... I even flew it into a ceiling fan once while circling the fan, which was on and turning... no damage whatsoever, didn't even lose a prop.

BTW, do not buy a Tello without also buying the TelloFpv app (~5 USD)... a very capable, full-featured app.

Last edited:
Reactions: March411
It just takes practice and then one day it all falls into place. You will be able to fly backwards as easily as forward. To me, doing the freestyle type flying is the most fun of owning a drone. Practice.

Sorry, about miss-post. I'm getting back into drone flight again and the community.
Thanks for letting me know.

Reactions: Gagey52
It just takes practice and then one day it all falls into place. You will be able to fly backwards as easily as forward. To me, doing the freestyle type flying is the most fun of owning a drone. Practice.
That's cool you can do that and I hope to get there soon, practice.
Thank you

Practice, practice, practice.

IMO, much better to train your brain to flip, than to flip the function of the controls - which seems potentially dangerous to me... you may forget that it's flipped and fly into something. And during a typical flight you'd have to be flipping back and forth often - and easy to forget which 'mode' it's in.

Find yourself a wide open space - a public ballpark, a pasture, or similar - and practice flying Figure 8s and toward yourself... you'll get it before you know it and soon enough you'll be able to do it without thinking.

edited: The one thing that helped me the most to learn intuitive stick control was buying a Ryze Tello - the king of the 'toy' drones - and flying it inside in tight spaces. In a well-lit room Tello is very stable, very responsive, and mine has survived many many crashes... I even flew it into a ceiling fan once while circling the fan, which was on and turning... no damage whatsoever, didn't even lose a prop.

BTW, do not buy a Tello without also buying the TelloFpv app (~5 USD)... a very capable, full-featured app.
Thank you I'll look to TelloFpv app. Great suggestion.

It's an old feature we don't see much anymore. It caused more issues because once you fly for a little bit flying "Nose In" becomes 2nd nature. The trick is to practice it a LOT.

Turning around looking over your shoulder (good mention @Captain J Case ) does help and how we've taught many students to get a feel for flying at you. At some point it just "clicks" and you no longer have to even think about it. Your mind automatically does all the calculations in your head on the fly.
Thanks, I didn't know it is less of a feature now. Explains why I didn't see it mentioned in almost all drones info I was looking at. I can't wait to get outside to practice more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2