DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Mavic Pro launch when ground level is over 8000 feet?

Bugg77

Reactions
I'm planning to take a trip to ride around the San Juan Mountains in Colorado and I thought I read something about how the Mavic won't even take off if ground level is 8000+ feet above sea level? For example, the top of Imogene Pass is 13,114 feet high. Could I launch the Mavic from there? Is there a special firmware or something? Being in low and flat Texas, I have no way to test this.

The Mavic only knows it's altitude above the take off point, which becomes 0. It does not know anything about sea level. If it did, I'd never be able to fly. I've flown at 10,000 above sea level. At 9,000 I've noticed very little difference in flight time.

Reactions: Bugg77
The Mavic only knows it's altitude above the take off point, which becomes 0. It does not know anything about sea level. If it did, I'd never be able to fly. I've flown at 10,000 above sea level. At 9,000 I've noticed very little difference in flight time.

Thanks for that feedback. That was my understanding that it only knew AGL as you described. Just thought I'd seen something about folks not being able to take off when they were over a certain ASL... but maybe they were actually in a NFZ or something.

The mavic does know it’s altitude above sea level from GPS
I’ve launched from 9350feet no problem and flown above 10000feet (up side of mountain so still within 400 feet of ground ;) )
My Flight record show take off altitude, so even though in flight it only shows height above takeoff, it knows...

Mavics official max altitude in manual is 16400 feet/5000m, will probably stop you taking off if you’re above that. So your 13000 foot pass should be fine Thumbswayup

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
I'm planning to take a trip to ride around the San Juan Mountains in Colorado and I thought I read something about how the Mavic won't even take off if ground level is 8000+ feet above sea level? For example, the top of Imogene Pass is 13,114 feet high. Could I launch the Mavic from there? Is there a special firmware or something? Being in low and flat Texas, I have no way to test this.

Yes sir you can, I have been in the clouds in a mountain range and took off from about the same height.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
I live 40 km SW of Denver, and regularly fly from Mt. Evans and other high altitude places. No problems, but the battery doesn't last long. The air is very thin at altitude, so the motors have to work harder. Another problem is in cold weather the iPhone or iPad battery drains VERY fast.

I recently took off from 13,500 and climbed to 14,470 without issue, other than reduced efficiency.....will be trying to exceed 16,700 next flight at the top of Imbabura volcano.

What happens if you're at an altitude, which the Mavic assumes is 0 feet, then you want to descend into a valley for instance??

It doesn't create a worm hole or anything, it just shows a negative altitude on your display.

Reactions: RichieFromBoston
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki