DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can one created a graduated brightness increase in post?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I was just wondering, if there is technique that one might use if you need to gracually increase or decrease the brightness of a clip to accomodate a change in lighting. I have one or two clips with a fixed exposure, but as I change the attitude of the camera I the subject at hand goes into shadows. I could approach it by cutting the transition from light are to dark area, then grading each appropriately. But I'd like to see if there is a way to do a continuous regrading without steps as one would get with auto-exposure mode. FWIW I'm using Davinci Resolve 16.

In Premiere Pro brightness like most other parameters can be keyframed. I have changed brightness and other image adjustments on video.

In Premiere Pro brightness like most other parameters can be keyframed. I have changed brightness and other image adjustments on video.

I'm sure that Davinci has something similar. Part of the issue is that in this particular clip that I'm pondering about I need to mask the horizon, then as the drone passes and the gimbal drops it changes exposure. Kind of a complicated thing, which I can "cut" my way through. But it's a learning experience.

I'm sure that Davinci has something similar. Part of the issue is that in this particular clip that I'm pondering about I need to mask the horizon, then as the drone passes and the gimbal drops it changes exposure. Kind of a complicated thing, which I can "cut" my way through. But it's a learning experience.
Masking is a whole other bag of worms. Good luck!!!

Masking is a whole other bag of worms. Good luck!!!
Masking for me isn't a huge issue. I've done literally tons of it in Photoshop. I used to have to strip out entire catalogs of products back before green screen was a thing. I wish Davinci had a quickmask mode like Photoshop has. I can easily work around the issue by having a cut or transition between the two elements, but would love to retain the file as is, as I manipulated the gimbal downward as I flew over the structure. Unfortunately the difference in exposure from the horizon to pointing down is probably 2 stops or more. This is actually a practice/personal project, so I want to use it to figure out stuff. I suspect the answer is a duplicate layer above with a given density correction, then keyframed for an opacity transition. I'm not sure how that would work, but if I were working on a still image in Photoshop, I'd be thinking about approaching it with a correction layer with adjusted opacity.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Gradient masking for brightness control in post is part of all the high end NLEs.

Gradient masking for brightness control in post is part of all the high end NLEs.
Yes... but I'm wondering how one can gradually control the brightness as the clip progresses. Perhaps I'll have to post the example later.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J