Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can someone please explain Remote ID Rules to me

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Hi All:
Just received this in my e-mail. Lots of government gobble-di-gook. Can someone out there please translate this into a few cogent sentences for me?
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced final rules for Unmanned Aircraft (UA), commonly known as drones. The new rules will require Remote Identification (Remote ID) of drones and allow operators of small drones to fly over people and at night under certain conditions. These rules come at a time when drones represent the fastest-growing segment in the entire transportation sector – with currently over 1.7 million drone registrations and 203,000 FAA-certificated remote pilots.

Remote ID will help mitigate risks associated with expanded drone operations, such as flights over people and at night, and both rules support technological and operational innovation and advancements.

“These final rules carefully address safety, security and privacy concerns while advancing opportunities for innovation and utilization of drone technology,” said U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine L. Chao.

Remote ID (PDF) is a major step toward the full integration of drones into the national airspace system. Remote ID provides identification of drones in flight as well as the location of their control stations, providing crucial information to our national security agencies and law enforcement partners, and other officials charged with ensuring public safety. Airspace awareness reduces the risk of drone interference with other aircraft and people and property on the ground.

Equipping drones with Remote ID technology builds on previous steps taken by the FAA and the drone industry to integrate operations safely into the national airspace system. Part 107 of the federal aviation regulations currently prohibits covered drone operations over people and at night unless the operator obtains a waiver from the FAA. The new FAA regulations jointly provide increased flexibility to conduct certain small UAS without obtaining waiver.

“The new rules make way for the further integration of drones into our airspace by addressing safety and security concerns,” said FAA Administrator Steve Dickson. “They get us closer to the day when we will more routinely see drone operations such as the delivery of packages.”

The Remote ID rule (PDF) applies to all operators of drones that require FAA registration. There are three ways to comply with the operational requirements:

1. Operate a standard Remote ID drone that broadcasts identification and location information of the drone and control station;

2. Operate a drone with a Remote ID broadcast module (may be a separate device attached to the drone), which broadcasts identification, location, and take-off information; or

3. Operate a drone without Remote ID but at specific FAA-recognized identification areas.

The Operations Over People and at Night rule (PDF) applies to Part 107 operators. The ability to fly over people and moving vehicles varies depending on the level of risk a small drone operation presents to people on the ground. Operations are permitted based on four categories, which can be found in the executive summary (PDF) accompanying the rule. Additionally, this rule allows for operations at night under certain conditions.

The final rule requires that small drone operators have their remote pilot certificate and identification in their physical possession when operating, ready to present to authorities if needed. This rule also expands the class of authorities who may request these forms from a remote pilot. The final rule replaces the requirement to complete a recurrent test every 24 calendar months with the requirement to complete updated recurrent training that includes operating at night in identified subject areas.

Both rules will become effective 60 days after publication in the Federal Register. The Remote ID rule includes two compliance dates. Drone manufacturers will have 18 months to begin producing drones with Remote ID, with operators having an additional year to start using drones with Remote ID.Hi all"

Dale, I wish I could... but it does appear after reading the full document (several hundred pages) that the suspense date for compliance is sometime in the summer of 2023... bet we’ll all have new and factory compliant drones by then if we’re still flying them.

Dale
Positively not an attorney or legal guy but in a nutshell it sounds like we will need ID broadcasters on our drones but they still have not set an effective date to implement the ruling.

Reactions: mmagyar69
Dale
Positively not an attorney or legal guy but in a nutshell it sounds like we will need ID broadcasters on our drones but they still have not set an effective date to implement the ruling.
Actually they have... it’s in the full document... 18 months from implementation date for manufacturers and 30 months for operators of currently produced/sold drones
Asan aside... this will impact ALL UAS sold in the U.S.

Actually they have... it’s in the full document... 18 months from implementation date for manufacturers and 30 months for operators of currently produced/sold drones
Let me be a little more specific:
Would this be a firmware update on our existing drones if we are still flying them and have not upgraded to a factory installed remote ID, or would it be added as a physical transponder or something? This is like forcing a car driver to install a speedometer that transmits to the police, or other incriminating evidence.

Dale
Miami

Last edited:
Would this be a firmware update on our existing drones if we are still flying them and have not upgraded to a factory installed remote ID, or would it be added as a physical transponder or something? This is like forcing a air driver to install a speedometer that transmits to the police, or other incriminating evidence.

Dale
Miami
No drone presently made has the hardware for the proposed (That we know of.... But DJI is sneaky), so no it won't be a firmware for existing drones.

No drone presently made has the hardware for the proposed (That we know of.... But DJI is sneaky), so no it won't be a firmware for existing drones.
sorry for the typo- It should have said "This is like forcing a CAR driver to install a speedometer that transmits to the police, or other incriminating evidence.

Reactions: Otisangb
Would this be a firmware update on our existing drones if we are still flying them and have not upgraded to a factory installed remote ID, or would it be added as a physical transponder or something? This is like forcing a air driver to install a speedometer that transmits to the police, or other incriminating evidence.

Dale
Miami
Not sure... maybe it can be done in software. Still unclear to me. Maybe a retrofit device. Seems it would only allow detection of flight in illegal areas as I read the FAA full document.
As I have said elsewhere... in 2.5-3 years we’ll likely be flying a Mavic 3pro or above and the requirements will be onboard at purchase.

My Bad - Thanks for clarification - I had just read the INSERT DATE 60 DAYS.....

Reactions: Thomas B

Dale
Miami
Gee Dale - don't give them anymore ideas ? ?

You give me too much credit!

I'm a retired eye doctor, not an aeronautical/or electric engineer. I am sure the Chinese have already thought it through.

Reactions: Gipper
sorry for the typo- It should have said "This is like forcing a CAR driver to install a speedometer that transmits to the police, or other incriminating evidence
This is where the much coveted "safety" comes from. Fear of them watching you so you don`t do it.

I don't have a problem with LE watching me, but all the drone haters will see you and know where you are.:eek:

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
We are discussing this in the "news" section as well, but a few comments on the above posts:

1 - This is applicable for drones over 249 grams, so Mini's may feel free to fly :)
2 - The hardware requires is simple wifi broadcasting, so plenty of drones have the hardware to do this, potentially (if they can broadcast and talk to the controller at the same time) However, the effort to issue firmware and software updates, get it certified with the FAA, and send out the required stickers means it is unlikely DJI will do this with current drones, which will all be 4 or more years old before the rule takes effect.
3 - You can use a Remote ID Module as well. It is likely one or more companies will make a little rechargable puck or something you can probably Velcro to the drone or something to meet this. Note that the remote module specifies VLOS required (which the built-in one doesn't) so as the FAA updates rules or waivers in the future to allow for more BVLOS than they do now, the Module ones won't be allowed to take advantage.

Reactions: Thomas B
We are discussing this in the "news" section as well, but a few comments on the above posts:

1 - This is applicable for drones over 249 grams, so Mini's may feel free to fly :)
2 - The hardware requires is simple wifi broadcasting, so plenty of drones have the hardware to do this, potentially (if they can broadcast and talk to the controller at the same time) However, the effort to issue firmware and software updates, get it certified with the FAA, and send out the required stickers means it is unlikely DJI will do this with current drones, which will all be 4 or more years old before the rule takes effect.
3 - You can use a Remote ID Module as well. It is likely one or more companies will make a little rechargable puck or something you can probably Velcro to the drone or something to meet this. Note that the remote module specifies VLOS required (which the built-in one doesn't) so as the FAA updates rules or waivers in the future to allow for more BVLOS than they do now, the Module ones won't be allowed to take advantage.
Further discussion on the new RID FAA requirements is here... also with links to the full document.
let’s try to keep the discussion in one place for the benefit of all. Thanks

Reactions: cavemanbob
Just got the same email as Dale

Further discussion on the new RID FAA requirements is here... also with links to the full document.
let’s try to keep the discussion in one place for the benefit of all. Thanks
... except that even the Mini will require a Remote ID module for many users since it is a drone which requires registration if a pilot is part 107. Given the recent opinion of the FAA that anyone who posts a drone video to YouTube falls under part 107, even if the drone is < 255 g., many mini owners will have to comply with the Remote ID edict.

"The Remote ID rule (PDF) applies to all operators of drones that require FAA registration."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu