DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you fly recreational in the vicinity of a class g airport?

• Thread starter Deleted member 160650
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 160650

I live near a class g airport and do not have my 107 yet. Can I fly near the airport recreationally? (Yes I know the difference between 107 and a recreational registration)

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, as long as you're following all the requirements for the exception for recreational flight. If you're not following all the rules below, you do not qualify for the recreational exception and would then be required to follow part 107 rules and regulations.

1. Fly only for recreational purposes (enjoyment).
  2. Follow the safety guidelines of an FAA-recognized Community Based Organization (CBO).
    Note: We have not yet begun officially recognizing CBOs. Recreational flyers are directed to follow the safety guidelines of existing aeromodelling organizations or use the FAA provided safety guidelines per Advisory Circular 91-57B.
  3. Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.
  4. Give way to and do not interfere with manned aircraft.
  5. Fly at or below 400' in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E) only with prior authorization by using LAANC or DroneZone.
  6. Fly at or below 400 feet in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace.
    Note: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app or the UAS Facility Maps webpage.
  7. Take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) and carry proof of test passage.
  8. Have a current registration, mark (PDF) your drones on the outside with the registration number, and carry proof of registration with you.
  9. Do not operate your drone in a dangerous manner. For example:
    1. Do not interfere with emergency response or law enforcement activities.
    2. Do not fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Yes. G airports are in uncontrolled airspace. Just watch out for manned aviation.

And you can fly in controlled airspace too. You just need to pass TRUST (FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute), and get LAANC approval. Use B4UFly to check airspace, and it will
Yes, as long as you're following all the requirements for the exception for recreational flight. If you're not following all the rules below, you do not qualify for the recreational exception and would then be required to follow part 107 rules and regulations.

1. Fly only for recreational purposes (enjoyment).
  2. Follow the safety guidelines of an FAA-recognized Community Based Organization (CBO).
    Note: We have not yet begun officially recognizing CBOs. Recreational flyers are directed to follow the safety guidelines of existing aeromodelling organizations or use the FAA provided safety guidelines per Advisory Circular 91-57B.
  3. Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.
  4. Give way to and do not interfere with manned aircraft.
  5. Fly at or below 400' in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, and E) only with prior authorization by using LAANC or DroneZone.
  6. Fly at or below 400 feet in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace.
    Note: Flying drones in certain airspace is not allowed. Classes of airspace and flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app or the UAS Facility Maps webpage.
  7. Take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) and carry proof of test passage.
  8. Have a current registration, mark (PDF) your drones on the outside with the registration number, and carry proof of registration with you.
  9. Do not operate your drone in a dangerous manner. For example:
    1. Do not interfere with emergency response or law enforcement activities.
    2. Do not fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Can you fly recreational at nighttime or do you need a waiver? I’m pretty sure you need a strobe and I have a Luke cube one. The only thing I can find is related to 107.

Can you fly recreational at nighttime or do you need a waiver? I’m pretty sure you need a strobe and I have a Luke cube one. The only thing I can find is related to 107.
You can fly in G airspace at night. But not controlled airspace. You need lights to be able to tell direction and height. 3SM strobes are good, but not required.

I sent an email to our local airport. Never did get a response back so since the FAA does not care they should not. Have several things printed out if I get questioned. One is my FAA registration, another one is .....
Murphy glass G airspace

Airports in Uncontrolled Airspace​

For flights near airports in uncontrolled airspace that remain under 400’ above the ground, prior authorization is not required. When flying in these areas, remote pilots and recreational flyers must be aware of and avoid traffic patterns and takeoff and landing areas. A drone must not interfere with operations at the airport must yield right-of-way to all other aircraft. Uncontrolled airspace and other flying restrictions can be found on our B4UFLY app.

First, the answer is, yes, you can fly your drone near small airports in uncontrolled airspace. Only airports located in Class A, B, C, D, & E2 controlled airspace require LAANC authorizations to operate near or around. Many smaller municipal, regional, executive airports around the country are located in Class G uncontrolled airspace, meaning you do not need a LAANC authorization to operate near or around them. Some small airports are located under Class E controlled airspace but do not require prior authorization in order to operate near them since the controlled airspace starts at 700 ft. AGL. There are multiple types of Class E airspace, only one of which, Class E2 requires a LAANC authorization in order to operate from the surface to 400 ft. AGL.

you can find the link here and I have it in my car https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreationa...y/airspace_restrictions/flying_near_airports/

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom