DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada Advanced Drone FLIGHT REVIEW

JKBrubacher

Reactions
I’m interested in hearing from anyone that has completed their in-person flight review as part of the Advanced certification.

Yes, I too have passed the "written" exam but it was NOT easy (took it 3X) and I feel like I had a lesson in real fixed wing ground school. Totally ridiculous knowledge requirements with runway conditions, hypoxia, low-pressure sensors, aerodrome pressure...I felt it was a bit extreme seeing as my drone will never care about flying from a high-pressure aerodrome to low pressure and I won't be suffering from hypoxic hypoxia in the process, lol.
I called a local school (Ottawa) to inquire about a flight review. Seems they want about $250 and they could not offer me any advice pertaining to the test requirements. (if I needed to bring a flight crew, the expectation of the duration of flight, complexity, safety gear requirements, checklist examples) I got some sort of ambiguous regulation linked and found it useless.
All he could tell me was that they expected to start reviews in May. Well, May is almost at a close but the weather has not been very cooperative/predictable unless rain is your prediction, lol.
Anyone? PLEASE give us some insight and I want to know if this $250 is normal. Seems sort of high priced and exclusionary but I guess i will have to pay it if I ever think i might sell a photo one day.

I had passed my flight review. It was just under an hour of grilling me of knowledge testing and the flying was about 30 minutes. It won't be easy unless you are really, really, really prepared. Know your CARs well!

I did mine last week.

Flying portion didn’t really involve much flying.... Lots of time talking throughout the review about more knowledge area.

Side note. I’m an airline pilot and was surprised at some I’d really questions they were asking.

I did mine last week.

Flying portion didn’t really involve much flying.... Lots of time talking throughout the review about more knowledge area.

Side note. I’m an airline pilot and was surprised at some I’d really questions they were asking.

So the flying test is mostly more questions about the small advanced exam and these questions are harder than the online exam ?

What kind of checklist did you use? Pre flight and emergency checklist? I booked the flight review and the guy told me I need the list in print. I do all the checks on the Canada Pilot app.

What kind of checklist did you use? Pre flight and emergency checklist? I booked the flight review and the guy told me I need the list in print. I do all the checks on the Canada Pilot app.

I passed mine back in June but I created my own checklist.

I would be interested also

I am a Flight Reviewer and have done a number of flight reviews. Transport Canada does not provide a standard form or format for the flight review at this time. Attached is a form that I have used. I send this to the person who will be reviewed in advance so they know what documents they will have to have with them and some idea of what questions they will be asked.

I would not do a flight review without a flight to ensure that the person is competent in the operation of the RPAS.

If the person passes the flight review I take their TC account number and pilot certificate number (PC #) and enter those in the flight review section of my TC account. There are a number of tasks that I have to check off that the candidate successfully completed and then I have to indicate that the candidate passed the overall flight review. The person then gets an email from TC advising that they can print their advanced pilot certificate.

Some were confused after they passed the Advanced Exam when they could only see or print the basic certificate. Once your flight review is logged you can access the advanced license. "Appendix A - Guide to the Flight Review" - RPAS on the TC site has pretty much all of the information on a flight review.

Attachments

• Flight Review Form.pdf
    153.4 KB · Views: 94
I am a Flight Reviewer and have done a number of flight reviews. Transport Canada does not provide a standard form or format for the flight review at this time. Attached is a form that I have used. I send this to the person who will be reviewed in advance so they know what documents they will have to have with them and some idea of what questions they will be asked.

I would not do a flight review without a flight to ensure that the person is competent in the operation of the RPAS.

If the person passes the flight review I take their TC account number and pilot certificate number (PC #) and enter those in the flight review section of my TC account. There are a number of tasks that I have to check off that the candidate successfully completed and then I have to indicate that the candidate passed the overall flight review. The person then gets an email from TC advising that they can print their advanced pilot certificate.

Some were confused after they passed the Advanced Exam when they could only see or print the basic certificate. Once your flight review is logged you can access the advanced license. "Appendix A - Guide to the Flight Review" - RPAS on the TC site has pretty much all of the information on a flight review.
very helpful!

They can charge what they want so ask the place they are going to but expect around 200

I remember when I did mine...about a week after the June 1st laws that year..it was the wild west. Places were charging anywhere from 150 to 500. So shop around and I would also recommend trying to get as much info out of them on what is expected and how the day will go...if they do not give you any info, is run like hell. PM me and I'll tell you the company I used and would recommend. It wasn't an easy review but I knew exactly what was expected of me before I even went. No surprises and that is the best one can hope for in my opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu