DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada regulations - flying above houses

vadim26

Reactions
As it states in the rules:

* below 90 m above the ground
* at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)

Now, I live in the suburban area with houses located next to each other. And want to confirm if doing the following is legal or not.

I start my drone in the backyard (a bit less than 30 m away from vehicles and houses) and use sport mode to quickly get it up to 50 meters. When it's at least 30 m away from everyone (in the air), I fly around.

Note:

The area where I live is outside of controlled restricted airspace, and is not "NO Fly Zone".

The rules posted on https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html are not quite clear on this. However they reference this publication: Canada Gazette, Part 1, Volume 152, Number 24: GOVERNMENT NOTICES

AERONAUTICS ACT
Interim Order No. 9 Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft

(3) A person must not operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more than 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 1 kg (2.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less than 100 feet (30 m) from vehicles, vessels or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft.

Lateral distance is side to side, rather than up or down. Now it does not mention houses, but you can't really be any close vehicles, vessels or person.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31