DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian police drone hits airplane

With all due respect to a great Moderator and knowledgeable person.....
"or did the airplane run into the drone??" What? I do agree that we were not there but "so-called" facts presented are what members are replying on. I also agree that I am glad that nobody but the drone and the cowling of the 172 were hurt. I do not give any credence to "maybe the airplane hit the drone talk". I have not seen the time of day mentioned. VLOS! Yes, the manned aircraft is responsible for see and be seen as well. You have a lot going on in a Cessna 172 base to final and you do not expect a drone sitting there. Yes, you are head on a swivel always in the pattern or anytime but really??

So I am all for let the fact fall as they may and wait for that determination. I can't believe "maybe the big airplane operating legally hit big drone not operating legally.
I was implying maybe the drone was just in a hover and the plane ccollided with it not like what I had quoted . In no way did I mean
it was the the airplanes fault.
Lots of times my thoughts don’t transfer to what I write.
?

The reports all say the pilots were thrown back in their seats. Surely if the hit something they should be thrown forward?

Reactions: Zbip57
The Police have not identified the type of drone involved but there was media coverage when the department acquired its first drone in 2016. That was an Aeryon Ranger which, with payload, weighs 10-12 pounds.

The Police have not identified the type of drone involved but there was media coverage when the department acquired its first drone in 2016. That was an Aeryon Ranger which, with payload, weighs 10-12 pounds.
That seems consistent with the resulting damage. Could have been much worse - that will take down a light aircraft if it hits a wing or goes through the windshield.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I was just looking at the price of one of those here in Canada. The drone, an Aeryon SkyRanger R60, and its software and lenses are in the price range of $150,000.

Since the drone was smashed to bits it won't be too difficult to come up with plausible deniability along the lines of loss of control so malfunction not malpractice.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Given in the incident report linked in #8 and screen-capped in #7.

1720 Zulu (daytime), so 1:20 PM EDT

According the the report, aircraft height was 500 ft AGL, 1 NM NW of airport. (Roughly in the area of Leslie and Major Mac, if I've measured the scale on Maps correctly.)
Thanks Robert...I missed the time. I get it to say wait for the facts but...if I am in a c172 legally turning based at a reasonable altitude I am not wrong. The drone was in the wrong place and no vlos by the police rpic and observer (if there was one.) Waiting for facts is understandable but don't intimate the fact that the Skyhawk was wrong. VLOS.

The reports all say the pilots were thrown back in their seats. Surely if the hit something they should be thrown forward?
Hit was on the front of the Cessna
There's this story from 2015:

Aeryon Sky Ranger, but the article says it weighs 2.4 kg and has 'up to' a 50 minute flight time. Maybe that weight is without payload?

Also says it must have a crew of two operators to fly safely — another article mentioned one controlling the drone with 'tablet and stylus' and the other observing the UAV in the air.

Edit to add: I did a quick search and the Ranger isn't certified for use over people (which means within 5 m horizontal separation). Might have had an aftermarket system added that would allow that.

Last edited:
Hit was on the front of the Cessna

There's this story from 2015:

Aeryon Sky Ranger, but the article says it weighs 2.4 kg and has 'up to' a 50 minute flight time. Maybe that weight is without payload?

Also says it must have a crew of two operators to fly safely — another article mentioned one controlling the drone with 'tablet and stylus' and the other observing the UAV in the air.
Seems to be a standard issue for police. My home town of Thunder Bay which is 900 mile away in the same province also uses the same drone.

Thanks Robert...I missed the time. I get it to say wait for the facts but...if I am in a c172 legally turning based at a reasonable altitude I am not wrong. The drone was in the wrong place and no vlos by the police rpic and observer (if there was one.) Waiting for facts is understandable but don't intimate the fact that the Skyhawk was wrong. VLOS.
As you're a pilot, when distances are given in a report like this where in the airport do they measure from? Closest boundary? Centre of the airport? End of the runway you're approaching? I'm assuming the "1 NM NW" is to the closest half-mile (is that a valid assumption?) but not certain of the reference point.

Also assuming that the Cessna was basically in line with the runway as it was on final approach. Don't know if this is a valid assumption, but it matches all the landings I've witnessed over years driving past.

Since the drone was smashed to bits it won't be too difficult to come up with plausible deniability along the lines of loss of control so malfunction not malpractice.
What about the logs on the RC or even those sent back to HQ which I am sure they collect and monitor?

I was implying maybe the drone was just in a hover and the plane ccollided with it not like what I had quoted . In no way did I mean
it was the the airplanes fault.
Lots of times my thoughts don’t transfer to what I write.
?
Dirkclod I very much understand and I have done the same . If we were in a small group meaning/intent would be much clearer. I have never judged an accident/ incident in my 37 years flying prior to determined facts. I agree that even with reported facts you still were not there. This however screams of some blattant issues from the drone side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might even be loss of control or flyaway. Those happen.

If that's the case, though, I thought that it was the duty of the pilot to immediately inform ATC for the CZ they are flying in (or the drone is flying towards).

My emergency checklist is:
  • attempt to regain control (adjust antenna, restart controller/app)
  • note direct, speed, altitude, approx battery life
  • call aerodromes/ATC (contact numbers recorded before takeoff)
  • if imminent/immediate threat to aviation/safety, call Aviation Emergency Number
  • if possible, warn people in potential crash area
One of the reasons I use Drone Pilot Canada is that it provides me with contact and emergency numbers all in one place, as well as easy access to the NOTAMs for where I'm planning to fly. One of my before-takeoff checklist items is copying the numbers onto a bit of paper so they are accessible even if my tablet dies. Maybe I'm too paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

If I was cynical, I'd wonder if the reported delay in the YRP reporting/confirming the collision was to get a lawyer for the pilot. But it could also be simply bureaucratic delay with multiple links in the communications chain until someone with authority to release information is contacted, with everyone uncertain what to do about conflicting policies and procedures for an event that hasn't happened before and wasn't trained for.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the TSB report.

And practicing that emergency checklist. Got to get it into muscle memory!

Last edited:
I laughed when I read this. "the cops were flying their gizmo in the Richmond Hill area, the paperwork noted."

I laughed when I read this. "the cops were flying their gizmo in the Richmond Hill area, the paperwork noted."
I don't know if you know The Register, but it's a UK IT news site that prides itself on being on the more tabloid style, if not in content, then in language. Highly recommend!

Looks like this is a class 3 incident and the investigation is in the report phase. Final report should be released before Christmas.

Report phase: a confidential draft report is approved by the Board and sent to persons and corporations who are directly concerned by the report. They then have the opportunity to dispute or correct information they believe to be incorrect. The Board considers all representations before approving the final report, which is subsequently released to the public.

A class 3 occurrence may have significant consequences that attract a high level of public interest. It may involve multiple fatalities and/or serious injuries. There may be a medium-sized release of dangerous goods. There is moderate to significant damage to property and/or the environment. There are public expectations that the TSB will investigate. It is quite likely that new safety lessons will be identified and that transportation safety will be advanced by reducing risks to persons, property, or the environment. A detailed investigation is required.

I await the safety lessons with bated breath…

Yes, first they should learn how to fly a drone properly and THEN make rules.
Because now they make a lot of laws for us to follow and then THEY are the ones that cause trouble...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga