DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian police drone hits airplane

Here is the damage to the airplane. Now that must have been a large drone to do that much damage I would think.
View attachment 133742

The failure to notify NavCan of the flight, either before it began or immediately after, when that close to the field, appears to be negligent, however all the facts are not known at this point. The time-lapse between the incident and the Police Dept. notifying the NavCan folks of their involvement also suggest an actionable violation...again, an investigation will clarify the situation. Speculation at this point does little other than insert bias into the situation, to no good end.
It's been stated to be a 2.4 kg (5.3 lbs) drone, so less than twice the mass and impact energy of a Phantom 4 and around 2.5 times the mass and impact energy of a Mavic 2. Not especially large, and small compared to some of the enterprise quads and octoquads.

It's been stated to be a 2.4 kg (5.3 lbs) drone, so less than twice the mass and impact energy of a Phantom 4 and around 2.5 times the mass and impact energy of a Mavic 2. Not especially large, and small compared to some of the enterprise quads and octoquads.
This is what my local police force uses in Thunder Bay. Its a good size drone. Not sure on what was in the accident.

police-drone-4.jpg

police-drone-2.jpg

police-drone-3.jpg

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes you are correct but we don't know if this was a fly away so we have to wait for the investigation report.
That may be a reason but it is ultimately the UAV pilots fault.

Since we are doing guesses, my guess is that the pilot (spotter) was either not flying within VLOS and never seen the aircraft or just wasn't paying attention to where the drone was located.

I'm not knocking the police but most of us, doing a familiar task, have taken shortcuts, been distracted or have been lackadaisical in doing that task. I suspect this is one of those times. What bothers me is that they took hours to report it, that smacks of the "good 'ol boys" trying to cover their A.

Maybe just picture angle
noidea.gif
You're not seeing much but you do see the leading edge of one blade

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
In post #8 the

Ok did the drone run into the plane Or was it in a hover and the plane run into it. We can speculate all we want and we are suppose
to to give way to any manned aircraft but we don’t know why the drone was there nor where we there. Hopefully in time it will all be made
available but untill then it looks like just a mess. Thankfully no one was injured.
With all due respect to a great Moderator and knowledgeable person.....
"or did the airplane run into the drone??" What? I do agree that we were not there but "so-called" facts presented are what members are replying on. I also agree that I am glad that nobody but the drone and the cowling of the 172 were hurt. I do not give any credence to "maybe the airplane hit the drone talk". I have not seen the time of day mentioned. VLOS! Yes, the manned aircraft is responsible for see and be seen as well. You have a lot going on in a Cessna 172 base to final and you do not expect a drone sitting there. Yes, you are head on a swivel always in the pattern or anytime but really??

So I am all for let the fact fall as they may and wait for that determination. I can't believe "maybe the big airplane operating legally hit big drone not operating legally.

I was referring to the information in post #6, which stated that is what YRP are using.
That's what I found in the latest story about drones and the YRP: 2.4 kg, crew of two. Image looked like a Matrice 100, which matches the weight given (2.4 kg). Price was given as $125k. Upon further digging that was a few years ago so they may well have upgraded since then, and the newer enterprise machines are heavier.

That's what I found in the latest story about drones and the YRP: 2.4 kg, crew of two. Image looked like a Matrice 100, which matches the weight given (2.4 kg). Price was given as $125k. Upon further digging that was a few years ago so they may well have upgraded since then, and the newer enterprise machines are heavier.
They certainly are getting bigger. One of our newer aircraft is 30 lbs, unladen.

With all due respect to a great Moderator and knowledgeable person.....
"or did the airplane run into the drone??" What? I do agree that we were not there but "so-called" facts presented are what members are replying on. I also agree that I am glad that nobody but the drone and the cowling of the 172 were hurt. I do not give any credence to "maybe the airplane hit the drone talk". I have not seen the time of day mentioned. VLOS! Yes, the manned aircraft is responsible for see and be seen as well. You have a lot going on in a Cessna 172 base to final and you do not expect a drone sitting there. Yes, you are head on a swivel always in the pattern or anytime but really??

So I am all for let the fact fall as they may and wait for that determination. I can't believe "maybe the big airplane operating legally hit big drone not operating legally.
Given in the incident report linked in #8 and screen-capped in #7.

1720 Zulu (daytime), so 1:20 PM EDT

According the the report, aircraft height was 500 ft AGL, 1 NM NW of airport. (Roughly in the area of Leslie and Major Mac, if I've measured the scale on Maps correctly.)

They certainly are getting bigger. One of our newer aircraft is 30 lbs, unladen.
That's a beast!

How much does a bird like that cost? (Wondering about next year's tax assessment, as my taxes paid for the destroyed drone.)

That's a beast!

How much does a bird like that cost? (Wondering about next year's tax assessment, as my taxes paid for the destroyed drone.)
It varies by manufacturer, but apart from some outliers they mostly seem to be in the $20k - $40k range.

Interesting thread to read, thanks for sharing

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64