DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian SFOC

SgtDannySgt

Reactions
Hello everyone, am contemplating obtaining my SFOC in order for me to be able to fly into restricted airspace. I find that from the flight schools I have found that the price is a bit high for me. So am asking your opinions on: is it worth obtaining SFOCs simply to be allowed to fly into restricted airspace for photography and videography for my own personal enjoyment. I would be interested in photographing runways, airports and other landscapes within the airports radius. For those who have obtained the SFOC, do you find that normally the airports will grant you permission, if permission is required, to fly into their airspace? Thanks for your inputs and comments. Fly safe!

Danny

Hi Danny.

To do it legally in Canada, you absolutely must do the training and get a SFOC to fly in restricted air space. The exception is if you join MAAC and fly in their air fields only (which may actually be in restricted airspace). If you’re ok keeping out of restricted airspace, and follow the Transport Canada rules for fun flying, then you don’t need anything special.

I completed this UAV training a couple of months ago:
UAV Training
Pretty good program. Took a full weekend.

With about 10 hours of flight experience, I submitted my first SFOC application a few weeks ago, and after supplying a bit more requested documentation, was approved to fly near a small airport in Central Ontario. Start small, build confidence with Transport Canada, and then try for something more. Don’t try to get your first SFOC to fly near Pearson in Toronto. The next one I apply for might be for a more populated area that’s On the fringe of a more major airport.

The final step, after successfully applying for 4 or 5 SFOCs will be to request a blanket SFOC, then you’re free to fly where you want (within the limits of that SFOC).

I also bought insurance, as well as a 2 way air traffic radio. So far, with the drone (Mavic 2 Zoom), training, insurance, radio, case, and extras I’ve bought, I’ve invested probably $4k altogether. For me, I’m all for doing it right and legally. There’s no reason to be a maverick and do stupid stuff.

Frankly, doing it by the books isn’t easy to start, but it looks like it will get a lot easier after you’ve done the legwork to show you know what you’re doing.

At the moment, it’s purely for fun and training. With some experience, I hope to start some commercial work next spring.

This is all my opinion. I’m sure there are plenty of OPs out there that don’t care and just fly where they want. That’s great until someone gets hurt or your drone has a flyaway and lands on a highway.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Hi lenbh

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. If I understand correctly, once you obtain a SFOC, you do not need to contact the airport you are approved for? Or do you anyways out of courtesy. Thanks again mate

Danny

You must always prepare a flight plan and contact the airport if you’re within their restricted airspace. I really doubt you’ll ever get approval to fly your drone within the airport limits itself unless it’s a very small, low traffic airport. Even then, you’ll need that airport’s approval. Getting a blanket SFOC does not give you free reign to fly anywhere, anytime without getting permission.

OK thanks for clarifying this for me. Cheers!

Hi Danny.

To do it legally in Canada, you absolutely must do the training and get a SFOC to fly in restricted air space. The exception is if you join MAAC and fly in their air fields only (which may actually be in restricted airspace). If you’re ok keeping out of restricted airspace, and follow the Transport Canada rules for fun flying, then you don’t need anything special.

I completed this UAV training a couple of months ago:
UAV Training
Pretty good program. Took a full weekend.

With about 10 hours of flight experience, I submitted my first SFOC application a few weeks ago, and after supplying a bit more requested documentation, was approved to fly near a small airport in Central Ontario. Start small, build confidence with Transport Canada, and then try for something more. Don’t try to get your first SFOC to fly near Pearson in Toronto. The next one I apply for might be for a more populated area that’s On the fringe of a more major airport.

The final step, after successfully applying for 4 or 5 SFOCs will be to request a blanket SFOC, then you’re free to fly where you want (within the limits of that SFOC).

I also bought insurance, as well as a 2 way air traffic radio. So far, with the drone (Mavic 2 Zoom), training, insurance, radio, case, and extras I’ve bought, I’ve invested probably $4k altogether. For me, I’m all for doing it right and legally. There’s no reason to be a maverick and do stupid stuff.

Frankly, doing it by the books isn’t easy to start, but it looks like it will get a lot easier after you’ve done the legwork to show you know what you’re doing.

At the moment, it’s purely for fun and training. With some experience, I hope to start some commercial work next spring.

This is all my opinion. I’m sure there are plenty of OPs out there that don’t care and just fly where they want. That’s great until someone gets hurt or your drone has a flyaway and lands on a highway.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Curious to know who you use for Insurance and how much liability coverage you got. I did the same course with Aerobotika just for the knowledge aspect of it. Pretty solid course and an intense weekend!

I used Drone Insurance Depot. I paid $450+tax for $500K coverage. ($100K was $400, so for an extra 50 bucks I get $500K.) This covers me for commercial and recreational use for a year. I think I might have been able to do better, so I might shop around a bit more next year. Contact info: [email protected] | www.droneinsurancedepot.com

Sounds like Aerobotika was similar to the one I took in Waterloo. Also pretty intense, with a total of about 20 hours over the weekend. It's not such a big investment if you're serious about flying.

A quick update: I've applied for and received two SFOCs so far. One was to fly over our business up in Central Ontario, near a small local airport (for a roof inspection), and the second is to do a flight over my own house in Brampton, within the controlled airspace of Pearson (for a roof and solar panel inspection). The first took a few weeks to get, and the second just a few days. The goal at this point is just to accumulate experience, then to get a standing SFOC, maybe in the spring.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jose Molina