DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't change RTH to my point

GoMavicAir

Reactions
Hello very one! How can I change the RTH when flying from a boat? It always appears the GPS weak signal...error and its imposible to change from the take off point to the controler and I am afraid to lose the drone! Thank you!

Considering the potential inaccuracies of the GPS on return, why would you run the risk of using RTH on a boat? Either fly it manually back to you or, if you’re not confident enough to do that..... don’t fly off a boat!

PS Unless the loss of a £1000 drone is small change to you :p

Reactions: mad monkey
Considering the potential inaccuracies of the GPS on return, why would you run the risk of using RTH on a boat? Either fly it manually back to you or, if you’re not confident enough to do that..... don’t fly off a boat!

Cause when you are in a boat sailing you are constantly changing and its recommended to change the RTH to your device...isnt it? Of course I would fly it manually when I finish but if something happens and the mavic lose conection and Lands in the middle of the sea instead of coming back to me?

Reactions: DesJardins
Last edited:
Reactions: GoMavicAir
Cause when you are in a boat sailing you are constantly changing and its recommended to change the RTH to your device...isnt it? Of course I would fly it manually when I finish but if something happens and the mavic lose conection and Lands in the middle of the sea instead of coming back to me?
You’d truelly put your trust in the RTH to accurately return to your moving RC & phone based GPS? Well, it’s your 1000 bucks!

You’d truelly put your trust in the RTH to accurately return to your moving RC & phone based GPS? Well, it’s your 1000 bucks!

But If I sail...while using the active track or whatever... Do you want my drone to land or come back to a point where the boat is now X meters far from it?

It sounds like the GPS lock just isn't accurate enough to use. If that continues to occur, you could connect a Bluetooth GPS receiver like the Garmin GLO (or one of these) to your phone.

How do you link this cool looking unit to a phone . Does it boost the phones signal or put out its own .
I like learning about new toys [e
971e4b0b2dba1b94684f1be665742bc3.jpg
moji41]

But If I sail...while using the active track or whatever... Do you want my drone to land or come back to a point where the boat is now X meters far from it?
I don’t want your drone to do anything but return to you safely! My point is that the GPS accuracy of your phone is questionable. If you try and change the RTH location during flight, which requires your phone’s new GPS location to be used by your RC to direct your drone to this new point and land. If the accuracy of your phone is of by say 5m, it sure ain’t going to land on your boat (unless it’s a very big one, but then the additional issue of magnetic interference raises its ugly head).

But like I said, it’s your 1000 bucks, please let us know how you get on!

Reactions: GoMavicAir
Wait a minute... why wouldn’t you set it to your RC location if you’re on a boat.

The RTH feature is a true last ditch option so the OP has a 100% valid use for that reason or like myself flying from a moving vehicle. If something happens while filming moving cars and I’m in the car that’s following why would I want the AC to attempt to fly miles back to a locked Home point that I’m no longer at.

Anyways OP, you are 100% correct in wanting what you’re trying to achieve since you will not be at the initial home take off point if something outside your control fails and you hope the RTH works as a fail safe

Last edited:
I thought if you decided not to use your homepoint that you could pick it to go to the controller . It should find the controller as all it needs to do is follow the signal . Time to do some reading I guess lol

I thought if you decided not to use your homepoint that you could pick it to go to the controller . It should find the controller as all it needs to do is follow the signal . Time to do some reading I guess lol

Yes, I did it this way with the phantom 3 with no problem but now it seems impossible with my New mavic air or need to spend more money with those GPS... Anyway...Will keep trying!

But my point is that the RC gets its new location from the phone’s GPS which has questionable accuracy.

How do you link this cool looking unit to a phone
It connects to a phone via Bluetooth.

Does it boost the phones signal or put out its own
The unit contains a GPS receiver. When connected to a phone, the phone will be able to use its GPS data (which is more accurate than what the phone is using).

If you put your phone in "airplane mode" would it not shut down the GPS in the phone....?
GPS would still be available if using an Apple phone. It might be disabled if using an Android phone (depends on your phone model).

Setting the Mavic Air RTH to the RC location, rather than the aircraft take-off location, may not help if you’re on a moving boat as it’s not dynamic. If you set RTH to the controller and the boat moves, your controller moves too...but the RTH is NOT updated dynamically.
You would be better off disabling the RTH and simply having the aircraft hover. Of course, if you’re on a sail boat, rather than a power boat, you may not be able to adjust your course to retrieve the aircraft before the battery dies and the aircraft lands in the water.
DJI really need to make Dynamic RTH when using the RC as the home point an option like the Spark has when using a mobile device as your controller. This is a major weakness of the RTH location when it comes to the Mavic Air.

I have flown my Air from a (power) boat and I can see the point of the OP. Even if the RTH to the iPhone/RC isn't super accurate it will definitely get it close enough and low enough that you can see it (or more likely hear it), cancel the RTH and land it manually. You'd obviously need to set the RTH altitude before the flight so it's at a reasonable height.

The alternative of course would to be use Litchi. That would give you dynamic RTH under "Track Mode" and if you lose contact at any time it would return to the last known location of the controller/phone and hover ... BUT ...

... if the end game is to get it to follow the boat and have the least chance of losing contact you could experiment with using the controller/phone location as the focus point in "Focus" mode. This used to be called "follow me" mode in Litchi. It tracks the remote/phone rather than focusing on a subject in the frame. I personally haven't had any issue with the Air losing my boat in the frame using Go4 (and we tried really hard) but I would expect tracking the RC via Litchi would make it even less likely. One issue I guess you could have is the camera not really focusing on the boat and maybe not getting as clear shots .. but this is just my speculation. You'd need to test it to find out. I'm actually going to give it a go next time I'm out on the water.

Search google/youtube for Litchi Focus Mobile Device. You should find something useful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000