DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't fly with Mavic Air controller.

catonic

Reactions
Hi, I just bought the Mavic Air and I have an Oppo R7 plus mobile. I have been able to fly the Air and take videos and photos but only using the phone, not the controller. I am in the default mode 2 and the batteries and the controller have been charged. Moving the joysticks on the controller does nothing.
All help appreciated. Thanks.

Try linking the remote controller to the Mavic Air like this:

Try linking the remote controller to the Mavic Air like this:

Thanks for your suggestions. I can't get the right screens to come up with the mobile phone involved even after I re-installed the dji go4 app so I tried without the phone and it linked up but only for about 5 seconds then the link failed. Maybe this has something to do with me doing it right next to my computer and screen so I will try again tomorrow outside and see if the link holds.

Thanks for your suggestions. I can't get the right screens to come up with the mobile phone involved even after I re-installed the dji go4 app so I tried without the phone and it linked up but only for about 5 seconds then the link failed. Maybe this has something to do with me doing it right next to my computer and screen so I will try again tomorrow outside and see if the link holds.

An update. I managed to connect the RC and the Mavic Air and flew around and took some photos without the phone being used. When I tried to connect the phone as well it would not connect.
It seems I can use the phone or the RC but not both at once. Once the RC was controlling the Mavic the phone did not even show the wifi signal from the Mavic in the wifi settings menu.
Perhaps this has something to do with this Oppo R7 plus phone.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I have only connected to my MA using WIFI once (and that was to get some images from the internal storage). My next flight, the RC would not connect and it was a bit of a PIA to reconnect. Since then, I've had a dozen flights and the RC has maintained connection each time.

From this, I conclude that you can't have two WIFI devices connected at once or even switching between the two automatically, you physically need to reconnect the current device each time.

I think you may be confusing the phone connection though. You connect your phone to the RC using a cable, the RC connects to the aircraft and then you have both the RC and Phone connected using GO4 app to access all of the information and configurable parameters as well as a direct video feed from the on board camera (or a map of where you're flying).

True, my problem is that I can't seem to connect both the phone and the RC to the Mavic at the same time.
I have kept trying and the same thing keeps happening. If I am connected to the Air and I fly using the phone the RC light is red and the sticks don't work of course. When I try to connect the RC using the recommended method from the tutorial the RC light goes green but the phone disconnects. If I start with the RC connected to the Air and then try to use the go4 app to connect the phone it refuses to connect, nothing happens.

I had a similar problem today. Could not get the Air to connect. Turns out the battery I thought was charged, wasn’t. Can you try another battery?

True, my problem is that I can't seem to connect both the phone and the RC to the Mavic at the same time.

As I mentioned above, it appears it's designed not to allow this - and too be honest, I can't see why you would have such a requirement anyway. Allowing two controlling devices to access a single aircraft would be a huge security flaw and provide an opening for people to hack your aircraft and fly it away from you.

See my earlier reply and the response from @swooshdave in that you need to use a cable between your RC and your phone.

As I mentioned above, it appears it's designed not to allow this - and too be honest, I can't see why you would have such a requirement anyway. Allowing two controlling devices to access a single aircraft would be a huge security flaw and provide an opening for people to hack your aircraft and fly it away from you.

See my earlier reply and the response from @swooshdave in that you need to use a cable between your RC and your phone.
I am using a cable between my RC and my phone. It is the original cable that came with the phone as the DJI cable points up rather than down and the reverse cable has not arrived yet. My cable is plugged into the full sized usb below where the phone is held by the 2 arms. The cable works fine when the RC red light is on, ie the RC is not connected to the Air.

I had a similar problem today. Could not get the Air to connect. Turns out the battery I thought was charged, wasn’t. Can you try another battery?
I bought the fly more pack so there are 3 batteries and I keep them charged up so that's ok thanks.

You cannot connect both the phone and RC wirelessly at the same time. You need to pair the RC as shown, then connect the RC to phone with the cable. Depending on your phone you may need to confirm connection or give permission to the app for accessing the USB port. You should get a popup when you connect, unless you have dismissed it previously and ticked the "don't ask again". In that case you'd have to go into your phone settings and reset app defaults or something similar.

If you use the bottom port you must remove the side cable from the RC.

It seems it is an issue with the Oppo R7 plus as I connected my Samsung tablet and after a Mavic Air update and a RC update everything worked as it should. :)
I thought the updates may help with the Oppo problems so I tried it again but still had the same results.
Anyway, I have learnt a few things the hard way and now all I need is a tablet holder.
It is a tough little machine as I crashed it into some tree branches which knocked it out of the air but it still worked afterwards, much to my relief.
Many thanks to everyone for their help and all the best to you all.

It seems it is an issue with the Oppo R7 plus as I connected my Samsung tablet and after a Mavic Air update and a RC update everything worked as it should. :)
I thought the updates may help with the Oppo problems so I tried it again but still had the same results.
Anyway, I have learnt a few things the hard way and now all I need is a tablet holder.
It is a tough little machine as I crashed it into some tree branches which knocked it out of the air but it still worked afterwards, much to my relief.
Many thanks to everyone for their help and all the best to you all.

Just to try and help those who also have an Oppo mobile.
I managed to get everything to work finally by re-setting the phone and just adding the dji go4 app and turning on the USB developer option as someone else recommended above. After some mucking around the RC and the phone connected to the Air as they should.
A real pain but at least it finally works properly.

Press downwards the cable connecting phone with RC at the point of connection to RC
I’ve found out that somehow connections is a bit loose.
You need to keep pressing while flying. A bit inconvenient but works on my RC.

Cheers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688