DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't read my Mavic 2 Pro SD Card files using Windows 10 PC

it is actually important, hence why it is often repeated.
It gets repeated so often because it sounds like it would be correct.
Most people repeating it only do because they've heard it before and they really have no idea about it - like other common forum myths.
Another factor is that not everyone understands NTFS vs FAT vs exFAT and depending on how you format it in a computer, it won't even work in the destination device at all - formatting in the device also prevents user error like that.
Using the default format option in Windows doesn't give you any of those choices to get confused with.
It just does it right .. every time.

Reactions: Kilrah
Using the default format option in Windows doesn't give you any of those choices to get confused with.
That works fine, until somebody sees the 'File System' menu item and opens it to view the choices ... The next question is "What's the difference between; NTFS, FAT, FAT32 and exFAT?" Once you have seen that there are choices, and you have something that's not working, it's difficult to stuff that "Do I have to try all these?!" Genie back in the bottle!! ?

If you are filming in H.265 go to the Windows Store and download the codec for HEVC Video Extensions From Device Manufacturer.

Tried just running chkdsk from the command prompt (use admin one) should sort it if it's a corruption in the fat/filesystem.

However it can happen (and does more often than you think) that a sector of the Fat goes bad, then can cause all sorts of issues. The drone may not care as it may interrogate the fat less intensely.

Deffo try a chkdsk and if it's a SanDisk download the SanDisk tools and try a low level format on it.

What's the difference between; NTFS, FAT, FAT32 and exFAT?"

Fat = old fat 16 - max filesize 4gb max disk (technically without sector remapping) of 32gb

Fat32 = as above but bigger disk size support

ExFAT = 'modernised' fat system, takes some of the boundaries away from it. So supports multi terabyte disks and larger files

NTFS = Windows nt3.51 and later (including win7/8/10) default format, not readable (easily) outside of Windows systems

Hope that helps, think the drones format in ExFAT by default.

If you are filming in H.265 go to the Windows Store and download the codec for HEVC Video Extensions From Device Manufacturer.
Good advice, but the codec will affect the replay of the file, it won't make it inaccessible on the SD card.

Reactions: Doc Robinson
It gets repeated so often because it sounds like it would be correct.
Most people repeating it only do because they've heard it before and they really have no idea about it - like other common forum myths.

It is correct, every manufacturer recommends you format the card in the destination device (specifically to avoid issues), and as I mentioned in my previous post I have solved my own problems as well as helped many others solve their problems with memory cards by formatting in the device instead o a PC. There is a good reason for it as it guarantees you never have issues related to formatting. Not everyone is computer saavy.

Also, the default format for Windows is NTFS if the item was previously formatted with NTFS. You have to use a drop-down menu to see any other options and most people don't even know what those are. I have a memory stick and a SD card in my PC right now and if right click either drive and select "Format" it has NTFS as the default. If I clicked "format" right now, it most certainly would not do it "right".

If you don't know what you're doing, the best option is always to format in the device. If you just click "format" in windows without understanding the different format types, there is no guarantee at all that you are getting the correct formatting.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Also, the default format for Windows is NTFS if the item was previously formatted with NTFS. You have to use a drop-down menu to see any other options and most people don't even know what those are. I have a memory stick and a SD card in my PC right now and if right click either drive and select "Format" it has NTFS as the default. If I clicked "format" right now, it most certainly would not do it "right".

If you don't know what you're doing, the best option is always to format in the device. If you just click "format" in windows without understanding the different format types, there is no guarantee at all that you are getting the correct formatting.
Except that when I check the default format optopn in my Win 7 and Win10 computers, it shows Fat32 and not NTFS.
I've been using the computer to format digital camera cards since digital cameras turned up and in the thousands of times I've done it, I've never had a problem.
So have many others.
The conventional wisdom that you must format SD cards in the drone is an old wives tale.
Format them wherever it's convenient for you.

Except that when I check the default format optopn in my Win 7 and Win10 computers, it shows Fat32 and not NTFS.
I've been using the computer to format digital camera cards since digital cameras turned up and in the thousands of times I've done it, I've never had a problem.
So have many others.
The conventional wisdom that you must format SD cards in the drone is an old wives tale.
Format them wherever it's convenient for you.

It's not an old wives tale - you are ignoring some very important facts from my previous posts.

1) Every manufacturer recommends you format in the destination device - they don't do so for fun, they do so to avoid any possible chance of user error as I have demonstrated is very easy to do.

2) The default is not always FAT32, as I pointed out in my previous post based on both a USB stick and SD card I had on hand. If I wasn't tech savvy and just hit "format" without touching anything else, I would have a NTFS SD card right now. Yours might default to FAT32 because the existing format type was FAT32, however if you use Windows to format a card, by no means are you guaranteeing a FAT32 format.

3) I have personally encountered and solved many SD card issues by formatting in the destination device, some that were easily explained (I.e. it was NTFS because the user just hit "format" and didn't get FAT32) and some that were not so easy to explain (FAT32 format on PC did not work until formatted in destination device).

It is not an old wive's tale, it is best practice for a reason. If you know what you're doing can you format it in a PC? Sure, but not everyone knows the difference between all the different format types. I agree that it's fine to do whatever works for you, but to tell people it's OK to blindly format in their PC's without the knowledge to go along with it is not good advice. Even on these forums you can find threads where people have had SD card issues that were solved by formatting in the device rather than via Windows or a different device.

It's not an old wives tale - you are ignoring some very important facts from my previous posts.
Perhaps you need to update yourself on what defaults really are rather than acting on incorrect information.
Try this simple explanation and note where it uses the words internal and external:

We are ignoring the basic OP here ... IF you are having no issues formatting your SD cards in your computer of Mac - then Great! end of story ... However, If you are having problems with the card, then the first thing to do is to format it in the device that you are running the card in. That way you remove a whole lot of variables in regard to what the problem might be - because you can pretty much 100% guarantee that the device will format the SD card in the way that it needs to work with it. Technical problem solving is all about removing variables until you pinpoint the cause of an issue ... If you do the in-device format, and things still go wrong - then at that point you can say 'OK - I now know that makes no difference!'.

Perhaps you need to update yourself on what defaults really are rather than acting on incorrect information.
Try this simple explanation and note where it uses the words internal and external:
Big thing here is that if you are wanting file portability between different operating systems e.g. Windows 10 and Mac - then NTFS formatting will cause a problem. Mac's need additional utility software to work with NTFS - but will happily see FAT32 files. This is the reason why a lot of NAS boxes use Linux OS's and allow you to specify multiple file formats for file share folders.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Big thing here is that if you are wanting file portability between different operating systems e.g. Windows 10 and Mac - then NTFS formatting will cause a problem.
The article I linked explains that WIndows machines use FAT32 (not NTFS) for external drives.
All the noise about NTFS earlier in this thread is irrelevant.

The article I linked explains that WIndows machines use FAT32 (not NTFS) for external drives.
Exactly ... The reason is for portability of files ... You copy the file of the NTFS formatted internal hard drive onto a FAT32 formatted external 'memory' - and then you know that the file can be read by any other machine - Windows or Mac. I think we are all singing off the same sheet on this one @Meta4 ... My point is simply concerning a fault-find technique ...

You're ignoring the key points of the discussion and reiterating things nobody disagreed with you about. If the drive was previously formatted NTFS (regardless of the fact that Windows default is FAT32), it will make the new default NTFS for that drive. If people don't know that, they won't change it, and you end up formatting NTFS again. As previously mentioned, I confirmed this on 3 different W10 PC's with a USB stick and an SD card.

If someone who is not computer Savvy tries to format a NTFS memory card in Windows thinking they can use it in their drone, Windows will use the same format unless the user selects otherwise.

Again, if people blindly hit "format" in Windows, there is no guarantee whatsoever they are getting the correct format type, hence why it's always best practice to format in the destination device. Further to that and as I mentioned earlier, I have personally run into issues I could not explain with PC formatted cards that were solved once formatted in-device, even though both appeared to be using the same format. It's just best practice because there are good reasons for it to be, that's all anyone is saying - it eliminates the possibility of user error almost completely and guarantees compatibility.

You're ignoring the key points of the discussion and reiterating things nobody disagreed with you about. If the drive was previously formatted NTFS (regardless of the fact that Windows default is FAT32), it will make the new default NTFS for that drive. If people don't know that, they won't change it, and you end up formatting NTFS again. As previously mentioned, I confirmed this on 3 different W10 PC's with a USB stick and an SD card.

If someone who is not computer Savvy tries to format a NTFS memory card in Windows thinking they can use it in their drone, Windows will use the same format unless the user selects otherwise.

Again, if people blindly hit "format" in Windows, there is no guarantee whatsoever they are getting the correct format type, hence why it's always best practice to format in the destination device. Further to that and as I mentioned earlier, I have personally run into issues I could not explain with PC formatted cards that were solved once formatted in-device, even though both appeared to be using the same format. It's just best practice because there are good reasons for it to be, that's all anyone is saying - it eliminates the possibility of user error almost completely and guarantees compatibility.
Go @CanadaDrone ... Thumbswayup Thumbswayup Thumbswayup

If a user 'blindly' formats their card NTFS in their computer and tries to use it in a Mavic 2, they will get an error from DJI Go 4.

"SD Card Error: Please Replace"

Chris

Reactions: Meta4
And in the extremely unlikely event that someone accidentally formats their SD card to NTSC in their computer, the DJI app gives a nice audible warning: SD Card Error - Please replace it.
It takes 10 seconds to reformat it in the drone to clear the SD Card Unknown Error from the screen.
Whether you choose to format in the computer (which is very convenient) or in the drone makes no difference.
There are things that really matter and make a difference to your drone flying and photography.
This is not one of them.

Last edited:
New to DJI here!!

I have a SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSD UHS-I Card on my Mavic 2 Pro and I don't seem to be able to download the content on my Windows 10 PC. I have tried installing the card on a reader and directly connecting the drone to the PC using the USB cable but, the result is the same (Error below). My PC says the SD Card has no content and needs to be formatted but it is not true,. I can see the content via the controller and even managed to transfer the files on the SD card, using the Bluetooth connecting to the PC BUT, that takes forever.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

JP
HI @Jperez - a big apology - we seem to have headed off in a direction that's just not helpful in regard to your original question ... The first thing to note here is that the Mavic 2 Pro has 8GB internal storage as well as SD Card storage for your photo's and video's. It might be that you have a configuration that defaults to putting your recorded vid's etc. onto the internal storage and that's why nothing appears on your SD card??
Here is a helpful video about accessing internal storage ...

And this video tells you how to select the location (i.e. internal or SD), to save the vid's etc. to ...

And in the extremely unlikely event that someone accidentally formats their SD card to NTSC in their computer, the DJI app gives a nice audible warning: SD Card Error - Please replace it.
It takes 10 seconds to reformat it in the drone to clear the SD Card Unknown Error from the screen.
Whether you choose to format in the computer (which is very convenient) or in the drone makes no difference.
There are things that really matter and make a difference to your drone flying and photography.
This is not one of them.

I'd say the ability to record photos/video matters to the average drone pilot ;) An incorrectly formatted card doesn't allow you to do that and the drone error message doesn't tell you why the card isn't working, so one might think there is something wrong with their card when there isn't. The point originally being discussed was the assertion that it makes "no difference" where the card is formatted, but it seems now you acknowledge that it does make a difference.

All anyone is saying is that formatting the card in the destination device is always best practice, eliminates any format related issues, and is already the most convenient. This is the reason every manufacturer suggests you format in-device.

Again, I have seen cases where despite using the same format option on the PC (FAT32) a memory card still had issues until it was formatted in the device instead of the PC. So, it is possible for there to be a difference even though the same formats are being used and even though it might not make sense to you.

All anyone is saying is that formatting the card in the destination device is always best practice,

But it's NOT "always" the best practice (as an absolute statement). It is for you. It was once perhaps a better idea for everyone / most people.

and is already the most convenient.

Another absolute statement. My preference is to format it in the card reader connected to the computer for the following reasons:
  • I don't have to turn on the aircraft and connect the remote to the device and fire up DJI go and then navigate to the menu item. I simply right-click in File Explorer and select Format. And I get some choices there, such as changing the volume label if I want -- how do you do that in the drone?
  • Speaking of volume labels: DJI insists on clobbering it (wiping it clean). Windows doesn't do that. DJI doesn't have to (application code can call for format and not mess with the volume label, or at least read it and replace it if the user doesn't edit the field).
On the first bullet above: I will guess that a lot of people (who mistakenly believe that they must format their card in the aircraft) put their cards in but do NOT fire it up, thinking "I'll just remember to format it when I do next start it up". Then they forget, which means they have less space free, and more files to sort out later.

How is that more convenient?

This is the reason every manufacturer suggests you format in-device.

Use to. And to those that still are: they're simply covering their behind by my making it a less error prone procedure for newbies, but we're not all newbies.

Again, I have seen cases where despite using the same format option on the PC (FAT32) a memory card still had issues until it was formatted in the device instead of the PC. So, it is possible for there to be a difference even though the same formats are being used and even though it might not make sense to you.

It's possible that it had nothing to do with the format, but that a new format cleared the problem, WHATEVER was the actual cause. You don't really know (insert discussion about causation and correlation here).

Because you've already been told by more than one person -- just in this thread -- that we have no problems formatting the card from a computer.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview