DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

car charger?

Mel 08

Reactions
i have a landrover discovery 3.
i am going to buy a car charger for my ma2 batteries,.
my problem is the cigarette lighter cancels out a few minutes after car is switched off.
is there any electricaly minded folk can tell me if i can change this so its live all the time or should i just use an adapter wired to the car battery,
just curious.

cheers mel

i have a landrover discovery 3.
i am going to buy a car charger for my ma2 batteries,.
my problem is the cigarette lighter cancels out a few minutes after car is switched off.
is there any electricaly minded folk can tell me if i can change this so its live all the time or should i just use an adapter wired to the car battery,
just curious.

cheers mel

No i have the same issue, car has to be running for the charge to take place. no work around yet that I have found.

Reactions: Mel 08
Most cars are the same, it stops you getting a flat car battery if something is in the cigarette lighter when the vehicle is unattended.
You could wire an independent lighter socket to the car battery but make sure you put an inline fuse in the wiring, simple enough two wires one red one black, the hard part is usually getting the wire from the battery to inside of the car, if you put it trough a hole in the bulkhead make sure you use a rubber grommet in the hole to stop the insulator on the wire getting damaged due to vibration.

Most cars are the same, it stops you getting a flat car battery if something is in the cigarette lighter when the vehicle is unattended.
You could wire an independent lighter socket to the car battery but make sure you put an inline fuse in the wiring, simple enough two wires one red one black, the hard part is usually getting the wire from the battery to inside of the car, if you put it trough a hole in the bulkhead make sure you use a rubber grommet in the hole to stop the insulator on the wire getting damaged due to vibration.
was thinking of just putting a adapter to the battery, put a kill switch on it for when its not used and leaving it under the bonnet.
it wont be used unless car is parked,
obviosly if need to charge on the go the internal one will be used.
does that sound like a plan ?

cheers mel

Make sure the engine is cooled down before you lock your battery under the bonnet & you have a plan.
Make sure your wiring can’t fall onto anything that gets hot when your car is moving and dont forget an inline fuse.
Lastly don't forget you have a battery under the bonnet before you drive home ;)

You could get the original re-wired directly to the battery. As mentioned, make sure it’s fused!
Head over to aulro.com to get some help. A friendly Land-Rover forum; like this one is for drones. And if you have a Land-Rover, you’re gonna need to learn to fix it :)
I no how to wield a spanner but electrical I avoid like the plague lol

Some fuses inside the cabin are always live, you could link to one of those. But if you did this it would be a good idea to get one of those power adapters that cut out when the car battery gets low. I use one for my dashcams.

Some fuses inside the cabin are always live, you could link to one of those. But if you did this it would be a good idea to get one of those power adapters that cut out when the car battery gets low. I use one for my dashcams.
Have you got a link to the adapter karl

Reactions: Mel 08
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3