DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Care Fresh? Or no?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
So, from memory, DJI Care refresh on my Air 2S ($1899) was $119 or something for the year. No biggie, and as a new drone pilot, It felt like a good idea.

But now, I'm considering the Mavic 3 Cine ($7200 here), and the Care Refresh Price is $529 for a year, or $889 for two years...

So,... dollar for dollar, it's not out of proportion I guess. But... it's not a no brainer anymore... I have more experience now (so crashes less likely), and the drone is now (unofficially) uncrashable...

Plus...in Australia, we have pretty great laws about this sort of thing, so I don't need an "extended warranty". If you send $7200 on a drone, you have to expect it's going to last well beyond 2 years, so I should be covered there. It's just for crashes (and if I crash, they'll give me a refurb anyway, and charge me $350 as well.).

And... also... if my drone falls out of the sky or flies away, it seems to me that is not normal behaviour. So... this SHOULD be a warranty claim whether I have Care Refresh or not...?

So, what do you think? 1 year, or 2? Or some form of private insurance if I can find it?

Not sure the market in Australia, but in the US, some providers have a personal article policy that is both cheaper and "better" when it comes to making a claim (just cutting you a check, compared to getting a refurb drone). Might be worth talking to a local agent. If it's for business use, that might change the insurance offerings too, BTW.

Reactions: Ben_McPhee
Not sure the market in Australia, but in the US, some providers have a personal article policy that is both cheaper and "better" when it comes to making a claim (just cutting you a check, compared to getting a refurb drone). Might be worth talking to a local agent. If it's for business use, that might change the insurance offerings too, BTW.
Legend, thank you. :)

Not sure either, but found another thread mentioning State Farm in the USA. Might find that policy and show it around here and see who has something similar. :)

The "regular" insurance (State Farm, Allstate) only covers the hull and no liability. If you are in a business, you need a specialized insurance carrier that covers liability which can get pricey depending on experience. Generally, the Care Refresh is 10% of the drone's price which can vary greatly between the Mini and the Mavic 3.

So, from memory, DJI Care refresh on my Air 2S ($1899) was $119 or something for the year. No biggie, and as a new drone pilot, It felt like a good idea.

But now, I'm considering the Mavic 3 Cine ($7200 here), and the Care Refresh Price is $529 for a year, or $889 for two years...

So,... dollar for dollar, it's not out of proportion I guess. But... it's not a no brainer anymore... I have more experience now (so crashes less likely), and the drone is now (unofficially) uncrashable...

Plus...in Australia, we have pretty great laws about this sort of thing, so I don't need an "extended warranty". If you send $7200 on a drone, you have to expect it's going to last well beyond 2 years, so I should be covered there. It's just for crashes (and if I crash, they'll give me a refurb anyway, and charge me $350 as well.).

And... also... if my drone falls out of the sky or flies away, it seems to me that is not normal behaviour. So... this SHOULD be a warranty claim whether I have Care Refresh or not...?

So, what do you think? 1 year, or 2? Or some form of private insurance if I can find it?
In the US, it makes more sense to go with 3rd Party - typically cheaper and far less hassle than DJI / Refresh.

You posted in Mavic for Business - so if you are flying commercially - you def need 3rd Party insurance coverage for businesses. While AU may have some different laws than the US, here if you fly for business - better have commercial business insurance as you could lose everything if someone sued you.

Since DJI did add "flyaway" coverage - Refresh is a bit better than before when not covered.

Consider this drone is worth a good amount of money, I’d probably go with 1 year refresh. I think you’re able to extend it before that period ends. I did that with my Spark a long time ago.

Still like you said, I’ve seen many reviewers stating the Mavic 3 may be impossible to crash, even intentionally. But accidents happen. Birds, other drones, etc can cause a crash.

Mavic 3 may be impossible to crash,
uh...no and I'm not saying Insurance is not a good idea but it does seem to cause some drone drivers to fly a little loosely shall we say. long oceanic voyages, active track down tree lined lanes and deep canyon explorations for instance.
You've been flying for a while now and you have a pretty good idea what you can do safely. My guess is you would fly even safer without refresh.

Here is a thought - if your Cine version is a "fly away" you $500 prores license should be transferable to a replacement drone and your expensive smart controller probably not going anywhere. Just thinking there should be some way to get a replacement CINE drone-only for more reasonable price than full package. Although it's not in DJI's interest

Reactions: Ben_McPhee
Here is a thought - if your Cine version is a "fly away" you $500 prores license should be transferable to a replacement drone and your expensive smart controller probably not going anywhere. Just thinking there should be some way to get a replacement CINE drone-only for more reasonable price than full package. Although it's not in DJI's interest
Literally had the same thought. It should be tied to a person, not a specific airframe. If a drone is damaged, the parts that aren't could be salvaged. Why should an imaginary software key be any different?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada