DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Care Fresh? Or no?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
So, from memory, DJI Care refresh on my Air 2S ($1899) was $119 or something for the year. No biggie, and as a new drone pilot, It felt like a good idea.

But now, I'm considering the Mavic 3 Cine ($7200 here), and the Care Refresh Price is $529 for a year, or $889 for two years...

So,... dollar for dollar, it's not out of proportion I guess. But... it's not a no brainer anymore... I have more experience now (so crashes less likely), and the drone is now (unofficially) uncrashable...

Plus...in Australia, we have pretty great laws about this sort of thing, so I don't need an "extended warranty". If you send $7200 on a drone, you have to expect it's going to last well beyond 2 years, so I should be covered there. It's just for crashes (and if I crash, they'll give me a refurb anyway, and charge me $350 as well.).

And... also... if my drone falls out of the sky or flies away, it seems to me that is not normal behaviour. So... this SHOULD be a warranty claim whether I have Care Refresh or not...?

So, what do you think? 1 year, or 2? Or some form of private insurance if I can find it?

Not sure the market in Australia, but in the US, some providers have a personal article policy that is both cheaper and "better" when it comes to making a claim (just cutting you a check, compared to getting a refurb drone). Might be worth talking to a local agent. If it's for business use, that might change the insurance offerings too, BTW.

Reactions: Ben_McPhee
Not sure the market in Australia, but in the US, some providers have a personal article policy that is both cheaper and "better" when it comes to making a claim (just cutting you a check, compared to getting a refurb drone). Might be worth talking to a local agent. If it's for business use, that might change the insurance offerings too, BTW.
Legend, thank you. :)

Not sure either, but found another thread mentioning State Farm in the USA. Might find that policy and show it around here and see who has something similar. :)

The "regular" insurance (State Farm, Allstate) only covers the hull and no liability. If you are in a business, you need a specialized insurance carrier that covers liability which can get pricey depending on experience. Generally, the Care Refresh is 10% of the drone's price which can vary greatly between the Mini and the Mavic 3.

So, from memory, DJI Care refresh on my Air 2S ($1899) was $119 or something for the year. No biggie, and as a new drone pilot, It felt like a good idea.

But now, I'm considering the Mavic 3 Cine ($7200 here), and the Care Refresh Price is $529 for a year, or $889 for two years...

So,... dollar for dollar, it's not out of proportion I guess. But... it's not a no brainer anymore... I have more experience now (so crashes less likely), and the drone is now (unofficially) uncrashable...

Plus...in Australia, we have pretty great laws about this sort of thing, so I don't need an "extended warranty". If you send $7200 on a drone, you have to expect it's going to last well beyond 2 years, so I should be covered there. It's just for crashes (and if I crash, they'll give me a refurb anyway, and charge me $350 as well.).

And... also... if my drone falls out of the sky or flies away, it seems to me that is not normal behaviour. So... this SHOULD be a warranty claim whether I have Care Refresh or not...?

So, what do you think? 1 year, or 2? Or some form of private insurance if I can find it?
In the US, it makes more sense to go with 3rd Party - typically cheaper and far less hassle than DJI / Refresh.

You posted in Mavic for Business - so if you are flying commercially - you def need 3rd Party insurance coverage for businesses. While AU may have some different laws than the US, here if you fly for business - better have commercial business insurance as you could lose everything if someone sued you.

Since DJI did add "flyaway" coverage - Refresh is a bit better than before when not covered.

Consider this drone is worth a good amount of money, I’d probably go with 1 year refresh. I think you’re able to extend it before that period ends. I did that with my Spark a long time ago.

Still like you said, I’ve seen many reviewers stating the Mavic 3 may be impossible to crash, even intentionally. But accidents happen. Birds, other drones, etc can cause a crash.

Mavic 3 may be impossible to crash,
uh...no and I'm not saying Insurance is not a good idea but it does seem to cause some drone drivers to fly a little loosely shall we say. long oceanic voyages, active track down tree lined lanes and deep canyon explorations for instance.
You've been flying for a while now and you have a pretty good idea what you can do safely. My guess is you would fly even safer without refresh.

Here is a thought - if your Cine version is a "fly away" you $500 prores license should be transferable to a replacement drone and your expensive smart controller probably not going anywhere. Just thinking there should be some way to get a replacement CINE drone-only for more reasonable price than full package. Although it's not in DJI's interest

Reactions: Ben_McPhee
Here is a thought - if your Cine version is a "fly away" you $500 prores license should be transferable to a replacement drone and your expensive smart controller probably not going anywhere. Just thinking there should be some way to get a replacement CINE drone-only for more reasonable price than full package. Although it's not in DJI's interest
Literally had the same thought. It should be tied to a person, not a specific airframe. If a drone is damaged, the parts that aren't could be salvaged. Why should an imaginary software key be any different?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuiceThe6One