DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat reviews Mavic Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AForceone, here is a link to just one of the sites stating otherwise.

The FAA Says You Can't Post Drone Videos on YouTube

"With this letter the FAA is claiming that drone-obtained art created by a hobbyist becomes retroactively 'commercial' if it is ever sold, or if, as here, it is displayed on a website that offers monetization in the form of advertising," Peter Sachs, a Connecticut-based attorney specializing in drone issues told me. "Selling art is unquestionably one's right, and the government is forbidden from infringing upon that right."

That paragraph is taken from the article, there are several other sites confirming this.

Reactions: valenb40
Though this article seems to clarify the real issue and why it is being confused as a rumor.

The FAA Is Completely Confused About What Constitutes Commercial Drone Use

"So what do these communications mean for the FAA’s overall position on online media and drone footage? As is often the case when it comes to the FAA and UAVs, it’s hard to say. Drone law expert Brendan Schulman, who has previously defended drone operators against FAA charges of reckless flight, says of the Hanes case, “I don't think the letter is clear enough to draw some of the conclusions about the agency's position.

The letter also reflects the fact that regional offices within the FAA have a considerable amount of autonomy when it comes to enforcement and regulatory matters—and with nine regional offices spread across the U.S., there’s a lot of room for disagreement on various fine points of UAV flight. FAA spokesman Jim Peters told the Portland Press Herald that while the agency’s guidance on educating operators does include sending a letter and following up with the polite in question, it “does not include language about advertising.” He added that the FAA would “look into the matter.”

I do find it amusing the Casey bashers, he has shown folks what drone footage can look like when done well, amazing how many copycats in style and music choice there are

I can't tolerate Casey's reviews...he is to neurotic and all over the map for me.

Come on guys, give him a break! If his reviews don't tell the truth about a product the word will get out and this will be the death of his future reviews, so I think he's being honest. For sure, time will tell. I once did a few kayak reviews on YouTube and the company called me (sent me an email) and sent me a $1000 Blackfoot inflatable kayak. WOW! I though, pretty neat, but I did not fudge the review - I told those that watch the good and the bad. I still own that Kayak today.

Casey's just real happy he got one to review - as anyone would be.

Reactions: HueJorgan
May I ask where did you see that? Just want to confirm as the "rumers" said otherwise. Trying to get clarification on this and doing research on it now.

I started to look but don't know if I'll have enough time to find everything that backs this up. ConsciousGeek posted some good information about this. To expand... what you will find a lot of is that the FAA was sending letters to people who posted on YT stating that they were operating commercially. They then put out info that they they reviewed the letters being sent out and did not feel that the wording was appropriate. They then kind of left the door open as whether or not they would pursue YT videos. Here is my question.... how many millions of drone videos on posted on YT? Do you really think more than a very small minority of those people have their 107 certs? Answer... nope. The FAA is not going after any of these people. While I think they could _try_ if they wanted, they'd most likely loose that argument because they have already choosen not to enforce it across the board.

From what I recalled, the FAA has basically stated that they have better things to do but perhaps they have not flat out said they would always ignore YT videos. But again, I can't see them enforcing anything at this time.

What bugs me the most is that in the majority of his drone videos he flies over houses, people, cities, busy freeways, over busy bridges, down city streets losing control and laughing about it, you name it....Can you imagine if the drone was to fall from the sky down on a car on a freeway or a person on the street? He's not good for us regarding drones. The handling of equipment is his shtick...he's edgy, got to get the shot, anything for the shot.....I still like the guy and think he produces great quality and creative content. I do get annoyed that he gets away with stuff we wouldn't want to do.

This makes exciting prospect's for the Mavic replacement drone ... Really looking forward to the next Mavic now.

What bugs me the most is that in the majority of his drone videos he flies over houses, people, cities, busy freeways, over busy bridges, down city streets losing control and laughing about it, you name it....Can you imagine if the drone was to fall from the sky down on a car on a freeway or a person on the street? .....

I can imagine, "Bzzzzzzzzz, *clunk*, "OWWWW!" , or "*Dink*......"hey dude you put a dent on my hood!!.."
Followed maybe by some heated back and forth communication, a settlement, then both sides walk away.
I DO NOT imagine full on catastrophe, blood and guts, or any other earth shattering result.
Not much worse than getting hit by a baseball at a baseball game. or a ball finding my windshield.

I can imagine, "Bzzzzzzzzz, *clunk*, "OWWWW!" , or "*Dink*......"hey dude you put a dent on my hood!!.."
Followed maybe by some heated back and forth communication, a settlement, then both sides walk away.
I DO NOT imagine full on catastrophe, blood and guts, or any other earth shattering result.
Not much worse than getting hit by a baseball at a baseball game. or a ball finding my windshield.

I eagerly await the test videos where a drone crashes into your head from 200 feet, and then the windshield of your car full of kids going highway speed. I'll review them at the hospital for you.

I eagerly await the test videos where a drone crashes into your head from 200 feet, and then the windshield of your car full of kids going highway speed. I'll review them at the hospital for you.
That's less likely to happen than a bowling ball accident. Its a stretch at best. Its possible, I will give you that. But lets be real. There are FAR more possible things to worry about killing or injuring me or my family than a out of control drone. Like someone texting and driving.

That's less likely to happen than a bowling ball accident. Its a stretch at best. Its possible, I will give you that. But lets be real. There are FAR more possible things to worry about killing or injuring me or my family than a out of control drone. Like someone texting and driving.

That's a straw man.

I'll fly the drone, you do the walking and driving!

“I don’t think I’m giving CNN what I want to give them, and I don’t think they’re getting value from me.”

So of course you'll be giving back that $20 million, right?

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Here is my favorite quote, "The cover story detailed how Zucker opened CNN’s wallet to Neistat because his 16-year-old son thought it was a good idea".

Seems logical to let your 16 year old son run your multi-million dollar company.
Yeah that quote kinda stood out to me too

That was showed to me earlier today and just thought it funny how so many dislike him and all we read folks post about him and he really don't care . The man is rich :)
I really don't pay any YT reviews no mind but read what I see in our forums and then
after I see a pattern from several go by that .But that guy got rich doing what he does .
I Mean RICH​
facepalm.gif

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member