DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Catastrophic app failure -- result, Mavic lost :*(

I stopped all updates, and here are my present software/firmware versions. Result = rock solid reliability.

App: 4.0.8
Aircraft: 01.03.0700
Remote Controller: 01.03.0700
Flight Database: 00.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05

Is this on Apple or Android?

I stopped all updates, and here are my present software/firmware versions. Result = rock solid reliability.

App: 4.0.8
Aircraft: 01.03.0700
Remote Controller: 01.03.0700
Flight Database: 00.00.01.04
Basic App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05
Precise App Fly Safe Database: 01.00.01.05

I realy think that 7 km is a quite nice feature. But I realy dont know why people assume the risc of flight away from 1km with this espetacular but expensive little machine.

If I want do see something far awy from me, I just drive at least ..maximum 1km from the place to start my flight.

I love to know that my Mavic is close to me

Very very personal point of view, ok!?!!

@br-travel, check out your TXT flight log to see if it gives any hints as to where your Mavic might have landed. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I doubt it. The Mavic is flown with the remote controller (not your mobile device). That means you technically should have no trouble flying even if DJI GO crashes and/or your mobile device shuts down.
That's correct. My DJIGO4 app crashes a lot on my Galaxy S5 but I am still able to pilot the drone without the phone. Also the other day I was flying with a friend who had his iPhone out of battery and was just flying his drone with the remote. All fine, including drone recording RTH position and going back to it just using the controller :)

You know just today I decided to close my app and bring the MP home using just the RC. It isn't all that easy, takes a bit of time and concentration to get it orientated in the home direction. While reading this thread, I realized I could RTH and this would automatically orientate MP to home. Then sure enough many others pointed this out. Keep reading, keep learning.

Reactions: Montypaks
This issue has happened several time on Mavic. A lesson learn for dji to provide "a home locked button" on the RC for Mavic 2.

correct..! a physical button like sport mode button, so then when app crash we can switch to home locked and pull the control stick backward.
Has anyone tried RTH with sport mode combination..? Does it work..? worth to try to compensate the wind when app crash.

Last edited:
Another trick I have noticed with my mavic is when you press the RTH button it comes home at approximately 20-22 mph. If you push the right stick forward it will return at approximately 30-31mph. You can also control the height/elevation with the left stick. Just more food for thought.

Reactions: Montypaks
Unless his GPS was down simultaneous to losing the app, then his bird was not in nearly as much trouble as he thought. Again, this is very easy to see in hindsight.

I don't see how this is true, since I only seemed to have two options, both requiring visuals. (1) I could orient to home and then lower altitude to just above the tree tops in hopes of lighter wind or (2) I could land in a safe spot and walk/drive to recover my drone.

I could not return into the strong headwind at RTH altitude.

Currently droneless so cant test. But doesn’t RTH climb first then complete the turn.

Can someone confirm? Does the Mavic orient to home before climbing to RTH altitude, while climbing, or after climbing?

Tried. It was before climbing. Thus the trick is ; A few second after app crash switch to sport mode, then monitor the climbing on RC after it reach pre-set height then push the forward control stick. it will go home with sport mode speed struggle the wind.

Reactions: kakao
or let me summarize :
-switch to sport mode.
-activate RTH
-monitor climbing
-push forward control stick.
-see the result, it will go home.

Reactions: kakao
@br-travel, check out your TXT flight log to see if it gives any hints as to where your Mavic might have landed. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I doubt it. The Mavic is flown with the remote controller (not your mobile device). That means you technically should have no trouble flying even if DJI GO crashes and/or your mobile device shuts down.

True my Nexus shut off on me when I was over a lake I was easily able to bring it home without the app running! One reason not to fly without VLOS,

So today I lost my precious Mavic.

Backstory:
I was in a pretty remote, forested, mountainous area, but with a number of roads, cabins, and clearings also. Definitely very low extraneous radio signals, in fact I had no cell service in the area. (iPhone 6S, iOS 11.2.1, DJI Go 4.1.18)

The Fateful Flight:
I noticed it was somewhat windy so I put the Mavic up about 30 feet to see if it got high wind warnings, nope, all clear. So I started to take it up further, maybe 100 feet, when the app crashes. The app has only crashed maybe 1 or 2 times in many flights so I didn’t panic, just restarted it. Everything came back and I saw the Mavic was struggling to hold position, I switched to Sport mode and tried to fly to the home position. This was all of maybe 15 seconds and the app crashed again. I open it again, connects for only about 2 seconds, and crashes.

At this point I note that the controller is still connected and the distance is increasing slowly with no user input.

Crap, the wind is too strong, I need to put this down somewhere safe and walk to it. But I need visuals to do that.

As a slight panic is building I think how can I get the app to work? So I kill every app in task manager and completely restart the phone and start walking/jogging in the direction the wind is blowing, hoping this will reset whatever is causing the crash.

No luck, over and over the app crashes and I can’t get a visual. I am still connected through the controller and racking my brain trying to decipher from the controller display where it could possibly be, but all I can tell is that it is too far to hear (over 1km) and no matter how I try to rotate the craft and go forward nothing is reducing the distance number. I try reducing the altitude to get below the wind it doesn’t seem to be working, and I’m unsure how low I can go before getting in the trees.

It starts trying to come home, it can’t, as the distance number keeps slowly climbing. I watch in dismay as eventually it starts landing in some unknown location, now some 2km away, and eventually the signal is gone forever.

Lessons? Questions?

As I’ve had a few hours to reflect, I can’t think what I could have done differently other than not fly at all. Even in hindsight my choice to fly in a wind seems reasonably cautious, the high wind alert never activated, and if the app hadn’t failed so badly I would have still been able to land in a safe location.

Why is my app crashing? Even now without the drone it crashes after about 30 seconds trying to look at the flight logs or other functions.

Why did the high wind alert never sound?

Given this predicament, any genius ideas to safely land and locate the drone with no visuals?

Any chance DJI could look at some logs, acknowledge their app shouldn’t have failed so badly, and replace my Mavic or give a heavy discount?

Why did your not initiate a return to home so the drone would at least fight to get back to the take off point consistently. Surely when you cannot see the drone you cannot be certain you are directing the drone in the correct direction, or am I missing something? I have had one occasion my Mavic looked to be struggling in the wind, initiated a return to home and it seemed to up the pace and power through the wind. I did this while still well in line of sight and reacted quickly. Good luck and hope you get your Mavic back brother.

Reactions: brilock1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys