DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Catastrophic app failure -- result, Mavic lost :*(

That's correct. My DJIGO4 app crashes a lot on my Galaxy S5 but I am still able to pilot the drone without the phone. Also the other day I was flying with a friend who had his iPhone out of battery and was just flying his drone with the remote. All fine, including drone recording RTH position and going back to it just using the controller :)

How to record a RTH location with RC only, thanks ..?!

Surely when you cannot see the drone you cannot be certain you are directing the drone in the correct direction, or am I missing something?
Yes, you are. Read earlier in the thread for the techniques used to fly the A/C back to home, using the telemetry data only on the R/C.

I'll repeat what I just wrote in another thread. dji should change rth so it automatically goes into sport mode. then you will have the best chance of landing at your home point. steve

Reactions: saboken
I'll repeat what I just wrote in another thread. dji should change rth so it automatically goes into sport mode. then you will have the best chance of landing at your home point. steve

Or a option to throw it in sport mode, sometimes leaving it off can increase your chances of getting the drone home obstacles in sport mode usually end in disastrous results especially if you don’t have VLOS, I’m not flying my mavic in anyway until I know exactly how it behaves in most situations eg:where I can loose VLOS due to wind it stays close end to me that unless there’s a complete failure that causes a fly away I will get it home! I have had 2 issues already that I would have lost it if I couldn’t see it and I have on flown it 3 times! Not great odds IMHO, I read so many stories of lost drones on. There madien flight! It’s like anything else practice and experience come first before trying to fly like the seasoned pilots. But to each there own it’s there money! I don’t have a unlimited Platinum American Express credit card, like a few people may have. I can’t afford to replace my mavic every few months or weeks.

Reactions: DOC_XDA
Tried. It was before climbing. Thus the trick is ; A few second after app crash switch to sport mode, then monitor the climbing on RC after it reach pre-set height then push the forward control stick. it will go home with sport mode speed struggle the wind.

That's not correct unless something has changed in the most recent firmware (I'm on 700). I ran an RTH test this afternoon to check if my recollection was incorrect, but it was not - the sequence is as follows:
  1. Initiate RTH
  2. Aircraft climbs to RTH altitude
  3. Aircraft yaws to face the home point
  4. Aircraft proceeds to the home point
  5. Aircraft yaws to face original takeoff heading
  6. Aircraft descends and lands
Below are the log data from that maneuver, showing those elements in sequence:

mavic_rth_sequence.png

So, you can use RTH to orient the aircraft but it will climb first unless it is already at or above the set RTH altitude, which you can't change without the app connected.

Reactions: MichiganMavic
Can someone confirm? Does the Mavic orient to home before climbing to RTH altitude, while climbing, or after climbing?
I tested yesterday and my Mavic first turns to face the homepoint and then raises to the set RTH height.

I tested yesterday and my Mavic first turns to face the homepoint and then raises to the set RTH height.

If yours is doing that too then I wonder if they did change the behavior in the more recent firmware versions. Can you post the log file for that test?

How to record a RTH location with RC only, thanks ..?!
to record a RTH location with RC only:
First, be sure you calibrated your drone compass before flying. You can do it with the RC only by just using the "sport mode" switch on the side (check YouTube for tutorial videos about this is needed). Then just take off using your RC, by first turning on the motor of the drone by pushing both stick inward or outward (again lot of demo video of how to do that on YT), then bring your drone at around 6 meter high and let it hoover there for around 10 seconds. And that's it, the home point should have been recorded in your drone and it should return to home when your press RTH button on the remote. To be 100% sure, you can test it after sending your drone in a short range away from you and press the RTH button and see what happens.
When we were flying ours with just the remote, it worked like a charm all the time.
Hope that helps.

I think drakkor, kakao meant after there was a disconnect, or the app wasnt working.
There is no way once airborn to change the RTH point. (with the RC only)

to record a RTH location with RC only:
First, be sure you calibrated your drone compass before flying. You can do it with the RC only by just using the "sport mode" switch on the side (check YouTube for tutorial videos about this is needed). Then just take off using your RC, by first turning on the motor of the drone by pushing both stick inward or outward (again lot of demo video of how to do that on YT), then bring your drone at around 6 meter high and let it hoover there for around 10 seconds. And that's it, the home point should have been recorded in your drone and it should return to home when your press RTH button on the remote. To be 100% sure, you can test it after sending your drone in a short range away from you and press the RTH button and see what happens.
When we were flying ours with just the remote, it worked like a charm all the time.
Hope that helps.

Thanks, the trouble is you do not get any screen/oral confirmation that the RTH has been recorded ..

Reactions: mkdive
It's important that every Mavic pilot learn to fly without the app and without being able to see your Mavic. Landing blind is never a good option. I realize at some point, it might be your only option, but it's never a good option. Without the app and without visual on the drone, you have 2 options to get it moving back to your point: A RTH, which might very well put it even higher into the wind, or using the telemetry on your controller to figure out which stick movement gets it moving towards you. You can try yawning slightly and pressing forward, or quickly try front, back and side to side inputs to see if the distance decreases. If you can't decrease distance in sport mode, you are pretty well screwed.

Last edited:
I think drakkor, kakao meant after there was a disconnect, or the app wasnt working.
There is no way once airborn to change the RTH point. (with the RC only)
Yeah, once the drone is airborn you can't chance the RTH. But it will come back to the previous set one, even after the app crashes though.

Thanks, the trouble is you do not get any screen/oral confirmation that the RTH has been recorded ..
Nope you don't. That's why we wanted to test this function like we did to be sure it was working. But in any cases I will not advice to just fly far away with just the RC control though. It's just a good safeguard to know in case the app crashes, that you can still control the drone fine with the RC and RTH will still works.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoTony