DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro Catch me if you can!

Frank is a rookie. His drone props are smashing into that “landing net” at full speed which is likely to split or damage them.

Does Frank also uses a “landing tree” when on dry land? ;)

He doesn't shoot on dry land. He doesn't fly at all, but he has been using drones to produce video of his boats in rough water for about 7 or 8 years now - so yes, very inexperienced.

Reactions: Gringorio
Wishing you good luck! Practice launching and landing from the ship in the marina before hand helps. Also, flying (not launching) from the bridge so you can communicate directly with the officer in charge about maneuvering the ship helps too, if that is a possibility.
There will be three of us aboard, the skipper/instructor and the two of us. Communications should not be an issue.

As for hand catching, I'm used to the Spark, grab and flip mostly. Sometimes a hand landing. The Spark is much less threatening than the Mavic 2, at least to me.

There seems to be a couple of schools of thought from what I've read though. Catch from behind; catch from in front. In front seems better to me, more clearance to the forward props. What about disabling Obstacle Avoidance as you come in to land, so it doesn't try to get away as you reach for it?

Reactions: Gringorio
On that heavy seas video they had about 8 seconds of battery left! Yes, running to the wire.

You're right about Frank being 'a boaty', he is one of the leading designers in the world, producing pilot boat, military patrol boats and stealth insertion craft for many countries. That Corryvrecken trip was just a joy ride.
KingRat, I understand you want to defend your friend Frank and I respect that.

Firstly though, let me say that there is no shame of being a “boatie”. Far from it, it is a envious skill that I do not have not. I have basic seamanship skills at best and I would have ZERO hope of designing, crewing nor captaining the boats that Frank sells. Frank is an expert in an area where I am woefully inadequate.

Drone wise though, I have looked at the footage you have provided and Frank and his crew are NOT experienced drone pilots. Their footage is ordinary (to say the least) and they are catching their drone with a net, in conditions that I could hand catch in.

How is that possible? Sorry mate but I live on the coast and my MA2 issues “strong wind warmings” every second flight. 80% of my flights are over water and I hand catch 60% of the time because it is impossible to land except to catch. So while you look at Frank’s video and you think that his “net catch” is appropriate, I can assure you that if he had more experience or skill, he would not be using a net.

There will be three of us aboard, the skipper/instructor and the two of us. Communications should not be an issue.

As for hand catching, I'm used to the Spark, grab and flip mostly. Sometimes a hand landing. The Spark is much less threatening than the Mavic 2, at least to me.

There seems to be a couple of schools of thought from what I've read though. Catch from behind; catch from in front. In front seems better to me, more clearance to the forward props. What about disabling Obstacle Avoidance as you come in to land, so it doesn't try to get away as you reach for it?

Definitely disable obstacle avoidance and the downward sensor.

Glove is a nice idea but I would be more concerned about my eyes, his protective glove looks level with his eyes :eek:
Very good point! I almost always wear protective eyewear (All day on the job as a sparkey and off the job cause their cheap!) and almost always hand catch. Oftentimes I'll have bug or branch debris on the props that decide to fly in my face at the catch moment. Even had a prop so loose at landing I was lucky it didn't spin off in flight and it could very well have let go and hit my face when landing. (ALWAYS tighten your prop screws before every flight!) Protect the Eyes! I'm glad the boat guy brought that up! Very cool boat!

We're gonna have to practice that hand catch too. We have chartered a trawler for next summer up here in the North Channel. Looking forward to getting some good drone footage off the boat. Glove and glasses for sure. We'll also be able to maneuver the boat as we wish, and have a reasonable sized deck with no rigging to speak of.
I love that Bug Sign!

Frank is a rookie. His drone props are smashing into that “landing net” at full speed which is likely to split or damage them.

Does Frank also uses a “landing tree” when on dry land? ;)

In conditions like that? Any technique that does not put the drone in the water is ADVANCED!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi