DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Catching the Mavic Air from a boat

rico341

Reactions
I'm thinking about flying my Mavic Air off of my sailboat to get some nice video that I've always wanted. There are after market hand guards (for the bottom) available for the Spark to protect your hands when you want to grab it while it is flying. Does anyone know of any hand guards that are available for the bottom of the Mavic Air?

I have prop guards and will use them too, but would like the extra protection like the Spark hand guards.

You could wear leather gloves until you find something.

Reactions: Thomas B
No need. I hand launch and catch all the time. Only need the top sections of your rings to grab the bottom of the drone. Like a fastball split finger grip

Reactions: Sniperfritz
Catching it from the rear is easier then from the front. You don't set of the front sensors and you can avoid the bottom ones better. Just hold on once you have it.

Catching it from the rear is easier then from the front. You don't set of the front sensors and you can avoid the bottom ones better. Just hold on once you have it.

Thanks. I’ll practice catching it a bunch on land before I try on the water.

Don't forget to turn off the bottom sensors or you'll have a fun time catching it. ;)
I hand catch it all the time by holding my palm up flat keeping my thumb straight forward and my fingers folded in to avoid hitting the props. I find it a comfortable grip when catching it from the rear like Obi~wan suggested. This also makes it easier to avoid touching the gimbal, not to mention positioning the drone when the left/right controls aren't inverted.

The prop guards add a lot of windage to the drone. It has a much more difficult time holding position in gusty weather with the guards on than off.

Last edited:
Landing protection off and some practice and you should be good provided boat isn't moving to fast. I've done several flights off a canoe on a river, pretty easy to reach up and grab her. I always catch though, so I'm pretty versed at the procedure.

I haven't hand caught mine yet but does it turn off like the spark if you catch it and flip it upside down?

I'm just learning, but have found that landing on the palm is pretty easy. Make sure the downward sensors and safe landing are off. If you are over water, downward sensors should be off anyway. Get it close, hold out your hand palm up and bring it down. no need to grab and flip.

I haven't hand caught mine yet but does it turn off like the spark if you catch it and flip it upside down?
I just grab with right hand throttle down with left hand on stick. I don't really like the flip it method as I think there's still some resistance, it seems bad for the motors, I believe technically the drone kills motors because it thinks it crashes, and well just more margin for error. I catch with camera facing away from me and drone above my head by good foot or so. That way props are away from my face and there's room for me to easily grab it from the underside. The second you throttle down with it in your hand the motors shut off pretty quick.

I'm just learning, but have found that landing on the palm is pretty easy. Make sure the downward sensors and safe landing are off. If you are over water, downward sensors should be off anyway. Get it close, hold out your hand palm up and bring it down. no need to grab and flip.
I have landed my MA on my hand the same way as you but, with the landing protection on. I haven't tried it without it on. Does it come down fast and land hard?

Don't have to turn anything on or off. Just get it into a hover near you. Hand out flat.. And hold down left stick. It will land just like landing on ground. Do not pinch it, or pull from sky. If you hear the motors rev up, you're doing it wrong. Revving means burning out motors

Don't have to turn anything on or off. Just get it into a hover near you. Hand out flat.. And hold down left stick. It will land just like landing on ground. Do not pinch it, or pull from sky. If you hear the motors rev up, you're doing it wrong. Revving means burning out motors

Thanks for the reply.....I'm referring to having the landing protection off if on a boat. Most here feel that it's best to have it turned off in a boating situation and was just wondering how it reacts compared to landing protection on. Thanks again, Ray :)

Thanks for the reply.....I'm referring to having the landing protection off if on a boat. Most here feel that it's best to have it turned off in a boating situation and was just wondering how it reacts compared to landing protection on. Thanks again, Ray :)
Why disable it? I never turn mine off.. Land on a deck all the time just come in sideways lol

Reactions: Lopez0015
You don't need gloves to catch an air, you fingers won't be anywhere near the props. It's EXTREMELY easy to hand catch / hand launch it, don't worry about it.

Also, don't turn the downward sensors off like some people are suggesting. There is absolutely no reason to do that. Just hold the left stick down for 3 seconds and it overrides the bottom sensors anyway, just like in a normal landing - no need to deny yourself that extra layer of protection. It comes down slowly, it won't ram into your hand - no worries there. You can try it on the ground first to see how it will behave.

Having never flown a drone before in my life I very easily landed it in my hand - I'm sure you can do it just as easily.

You don't need gloves to catch an air, you fingers won't be anywhere near the props. It's EXTREMELY easy to hand catch / hand launch it, don't worry about it.

Also, don't turn the downward sensors off like some people are suggesting. There is absolutely no reason to do that. Just hold the left stick down for 3 seconds and it overrides the bottom sensors anyway, just like in a normal landing - no need to deny yourself that extra layer of protection. It comes down slowly, it won't ram into your hand - no worries there. You can try it on the ground first to see how it will behave.
Agree 100000%

Just remember that you may be rising & falling with the waves, but your Mavic won’t!

Reactions: lukasq
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom