DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CE Version of Mavic Mini. Big disadvantages in UK and EU.

He may have been flying in 5.8GHz mode (not sure when the Mini decides to use 2.4Ghz though):

Model MR1SD25
2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

I hope this is a fluke...

Reactions: Chris Baish
Specs are one thing but so far the MM range is in Spark territory -> Mavic Mini Range Tests - FCC : 2380 meters - CE : 610 meters
Personally I'd wait for a few more range tests before concluding. We don't know whether he chose a manual WiFi channel, or even whether it was in 5.8ghz or 2.4ghz. If he was in 5.8ghz the advertised range is 500m, for example. Someone needs to do a comprehensive range test trying out different channel variables. Also, for whatever reason people's distance used to vary on the Spark. I found it good for >1km on occasion.

Another CE range test, this time in German. Although I don't fully understand it, this appears to have been done in automatic channel mode, which in this case defaulted to 2.4ghz. Interestingly though the channel is congested and he doesn't appear to change it. The result? Just over 500m.

I was told if you buy a USA mini and fly in Europe it gives a warning that you might be breaking regulations , but let's you fly

I was told if you buy a USA mini and fly in Europe it gives a warning that you might be breaking regulations , but let's you fly
Yes exactly. This wrote one from dji team on dji forum as an answer to question regarding traveling with fcc mavic mini to non fcc country. I still have printscreen of it.

So no reduction of the power in software like for all current drones ? That's strange since all current drones do that and not very smart for US owners of the MM that travel !

the US spec controller only has 5.8 the ce version has 5.8 and 2.4 and will probably decide which one to use depending on interference or signal strength

So no reduction of the power in software like for all current drones ? That's strange since all current drones do that and not very smart for US owners of the MM that travel !

Yes true. Other drones are one version for fcc and ce standard and software switching between them based on your current location. But here with mini there is phisically different drone and phisically different remote controller for both regions. So no autoswitching anymore based on dji staff statements.

But that is not a bad thing for american travelers to europe, actually it is a good thing for them since their drones will stay in hi-power mode so will have better range and better connection in europe.

Im affraid nowhere since because of incompactibility with europe regulations it wont pass customs. Maybe the best way is to someone who traveling from usa to europe buys you there and brings you as his private luggage. But in case you have american version and someday claims warranty you will have to send to repair/replace in usa not europe and here you have a potential problem. Question is will customs allowed you receive back repaired non compactibility american version.

For me, the main thing is better wifi signalling. I flew my spark round a tower and the wifi cut out and it returned to home, despite the tower being 50M from me. So I never really felt safe flying behind even close objects. Mavic 2 Zoom doesn't do that, so I feel safe flying it.

If this new drone can fly round objects that are nearby without wifi cutting out, then for me that's a reason to buy it despite the fact it doesn't fly 500 miles.

Yes mavic 2 is in another galaxy compared to mavic mini. Regarding minis wifi it has the same wifi specs as air, which meens slightly better than spark. You can boost your spark wifi range to fcc if you are not done it already. If it loses connection behind tower it is not a problem. You just set return to home altitude higher than are objects in the surrounding and it will never crash returning home. In fact in case of losing connection behind tower it will start to climb vertically and then you will get signal back before it will start travel to you. So no big deal :)

Yes true. Other drones are one version for fcc and ce standard and software switching between them based on your current location. But here with mini there is phisically different drone and phisically different remote controller for both regions. So no autoswitching anymore based on dji staff statements.

But that is not a bad thing for american travelers to europe, actually it is a good thing for them since their drones will stay in hi-power mode so will have better range and better connection in europe.

Yes but in case of a problem it will be pretty easy to establish that's an illegal drone. And even without an accident with the always on beacon...

Interesting... if i buy a us version on AliExpress , is it works in EU ? Can i use this with max range ?

Yes but in case of a problem it will be pretty easy to establish that's an illegal drone. And even without an accident with the always on beacon...

A lot of spark and air and even mavic pro and mavic 2 here in europe fly hacked to fcc and nobody cares. If you fly with common sense they are way safer since more solid connection compared to non stable CE where you have breakups 100 metres away or even less. If you have accident and the authorities get involved, which is not likely, except if you cause damage to someone and you can not solve the problem with him and he reports you, but ok in this case you will get charged for your acts no matter what version of mini you were flying.

Last edited:
I am curious to see the first tests, if CE can be still switched to FCC (for EU travellers in the US) or if FCC can be switched to CE (for US travellers in EU). BTW: in the YT videos from US you sometimes can see, that the controllers as well as the drone itself doesn't have the "CE" mark on the type plate. The EU tests have it on. One more hint, that there are indeed two versions.

DO you think a US-version MM could, or would, be confiscated when entering Europe?

I guess not if it belongs to your personal belongings and you severely swear (?) to not leave it in the EU....You're just not allowed to switch it on :)

A lot of spark and air and even mavic pro and mavic 2 here in europe fly hacked to fcc and nobody cares. If you fly with common sense they are way safer since more solid connection compared to non stable CE where you have breakups 100 metres away or even less. If you have accident and the authorities get involved, which is not likely, except if you cause damage to someone and you can not solve the problem with him and he reports you, but ok in this case you will get charged for your acts no matter what version of mini you were flying.

A couple of things :
- no current drone has enforced ID broadcasting yet AFAIK, the Mini does
- it's unlikely anyone's going to go digging through the software to see if you've switched to FCC from CE, on the other hand if your drone does not have the CE markings on it, it will make everything worse

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones