DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cell IPAD Mini vs Wifi IPAD Mini...

PilotSmith

Reactions
Cell IPAD Mini vs Wifi IPAD Mini...

I am thinking about getting a new IPAD Mini for using with the DJI Go App only.. Can someone please tell me the pros / cons of both models and which one do you use and like?

thanks

From an iPad Mini 4 standpoint, the WiFi version's biggest pro is that it is usually $200 cheaper than the Cellular version.The biggest con is that the GPS readings are often inaccurate because it doesn't have an actual GPS sensor. No matter what I tried, my home location would be 20-30ft away from where I was actually standing. This was unacceptable because that extra 20-30ft variance was off the side of a hill so I ended up buying the Cell version. Other cons include the inability to dynamically update home points and TrackMe feature doesn't work without GPS.

Plenty of threads and posts comparing the two versions. Would recommend the Cellular version to take advantage of all features.

Paying $130 to Apple for GPS is feeding their greed; there are sub-$100 Bluetooth GPS that can be used with WiFi-only iPad, and can have multiple uses besides drone flying.

While I certainly agree about not feeding the greed that is Apple, it seems like that would be a "cutting your nose to spite your face" type of decision. Bluetooth operates in the same exact 2.4ghz spectrum that is used by the Mavic (2.402 - 2.483ghz). It wouldn't be an ideal choice to voluntarily introduce additional RF interference when it's already challenging to navigate through existing WiFi interference in most environments.

From a practicality standpoint, having to lug around an additional external BT GPS device is just cumbersome and also prevents the iPad from being used in true Airplane mode which is part of some folks' preflight checklist.

From an iPad Mini 4 standpoint, the WiFi version's biggest pro is that it is usually $200 cheaper than the Cellular version.The biggest con is that the GPS readings are often inaccurate because it doesn't have an actual GPS sensor. No matter what I tried, my home location would be 20-30ft away from where I was actually standing. This was unacceptable because that extra 20-30ft variance was off the side of a hill so I ended up buying the Cell version. Other cons include the inability to dynamically update home points and TrackMe feature doesn't work without GPS.

Plenty of threads and posts comparing the two versions. Would recommend the Cellular version to take advantage of all features.

There is another option. Use iPad mini in WiFi mode but get a Verizon Jetpack to have a personal hotspot. This way your iPad mini is as good as the cellular model and the Jetpack is only $ 10/ month which is cheaper than paying for cellular service.

Reactions: rbarthle17 and L.L.
I use 3 different Apple devices depending on the particular mission. For general flying I use an iPad mini 3 wifi only without GPS but do have the Mini connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone using the Apple Hotspot feature on the iPhone. This enables the iPad to update maps in realtime if needed and upload flight data / video etc to the net and DJI.

Because there is no GPS I can't dynamically update the controller position if I move around in flight so if I use RTH it will always go back to the original take off point, which is fine.

As I only paid $150 for the mini 3 with 64gb it was a good option that fits the controller nicely, just beware it comes very close to the Sport mode switch.

For way point missions I use GS Pro app on my big iPad Pro. I seldom use the iPhone except when using active track on my bike, I don't like the small phone screen.

Reactions: L.L.
There is another option. Use iPad mini in WiFi mode but get a Verizon Jetpack to have a personal hotspot. This way your iPad mini is as good as the cellular model and the Jetpack is only $ 10/ month which is cheaper than paying for cellular service.

The cellular service is never actually used so no additional fees or services needed. It's the built-in GPS chip of the cellular model of the iPad mini that folks are after. That works regardless of whether there is cell service or not.

Not try LL. Check your bill for hotspot service on a cell phone. Very expensive as it eats up your allotted time that you pay for.

Not try LL. Check your bill for hotspot service on a cell phone. Very expensive as it eats up your allotted time that you pay for.

That is always a risk for those that don't have unlimited plans. With that said, being always tethered is not required as data is only needed to download the maps at the beginning of a mission. After that, it goes into airplane mode to turn off wifi interference.

The cellular service is never actually used so no additional fees or services needed. It's the built-in GPS chip of the cellular model of the iPad mini that folks are after. That works regardless of whether there is cell service or not.
Not sure I understand. The cellular version of the iPad Mini is preferred over the wifi-only version, but the cellular portion of the iPad mini is not used?

Not sure I understand. The cellular version of the iPad Mini is preferred over the wifi-only version, but the cellular portion of the iPad mini is not used?

The cellular version of the iPad mini includes a true GPS module. Using the GPS module is not dependent on active cellular service. In other words, the GPS module is active regardless of whether you have cellular service.

I use my android phone as a wifi Hotspot, (unlimited data plan) get the maps to the iPad, then put the phone in airplane mode. They wanted waaaay too much for the cellular iPad.

I use my android phone as a wifi Hotspot, (unlimited data plan) get the maps to the iPad, then put the phone in airplane mode. They wanted waaaay too much for the cellular iPad.
Right. But you can't get GPS that way with the WiFi only iPad. Not an issue for most operations but needed if you want to use Follow Me or Dynamic Home Point.

Right. But you can't get GPS that way with the WiFi only iPad. Not an issue for most operations but needed if you want to use Follow Me or Dynamic Home Point.

What if you kept the phone being used as a hotspot on during flight and kept the WiFi connected? I’d be connected to the remote via the cable so there shouldn’t be an issue?

The cellular version of the iPad mini includes a true GPS module. Using the GPS module is not dependent on active cellular service. In other words, the GPS module is active regardless of whether you have cellular service.
Ahh... I get it! Thanks! So I don't need to put the iPad on my cellular plan to take advantage of the GPS module and the features it provides (provided it is a cellular iPad), right?

Reactions: L.L.
Maybe going off-topic a bit, if the iPad is used specifically for flying the Mavic, will a 16gb iPad allow for enough processing memory/space?

I use the Mini4 Cell version. I turn on cell until it downloads map, then airplane mode it goes. I do have it on my shared service with my phones. No regrets

Maybe going off-topic a bit, if the iPad is used specifically for flying the Mavic, will a 16gb iPad allow for enough processing memory/space?

I would get the most space you can/want to spend. More space the better. I use it for all my drones and don’t have to worry about storage of my videos or pictures. 256GB ftw [emoji16]

Last edited:
What if you kept the phone being used as a hotspot on during flight and kept the WiFi connected? I’d be connected to the remote via the cable so there shouldn’t be an issue?
That's fine for getting the map data, but again, you won't get GPS that way, so those features that require GPS in the mobile device will not function.

Personally I had no interest in updating home point to the position of controller, never used it or follow me when flew with my phone.

I don't move about often and if I did I can still update home point to new position of aircraft.

I'm very happy with purchase of WiFi version, the less money I give Apple the better.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23