DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

cell towers

Considering that the aircraft operates in the 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency bands, outside of cell phone frequency bands, my instincts say that the RF environment should be fine. I would suggest playing it safe and staying outside the fencing of that tower site.

Considering that the aircraft operates in the 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency bands, outside of cell phone frequency bands, my instincts say that the RF environment should be fine. I would suggest playing it safe and staying outside the fencing of that tower site.

Haha Haha, that's funny stuff right there.

EDIT: Just one small study on high power microwave signals effects on electronic components.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09205071.2017.1354728?journalCode=tewa20

I think someone should send a helicopter up to test though. Get some video!

Seriously though - you can get some major effects from RF 'swamping' (i.e. I agree with the conclusions of the report linked by @LBC970 above) - if the Mavic is staring directly down the transmission antenna at close range. The transmission may not be the same frequencies that the Mavic is using to connect with the RC controller, but due to the sheer power of the electro-magnetic energy, it can induce & block signal current in the electronics of the Mavic and cause control errors and/or malfunctions.
Some towers have the drum-like microwave directional antennas that are designed to link to other sites, but there are also arrays of antennas designed to push energy out in wide horizontal beams, but with minimal vertical energy ... The cell-tower antennas are designed to provide max coverage for ground based comm's. That means that if you are above the antenna looking down, you'll be in an area of less RF energy than if the drone was in front, looking directly at it!
I've been involved in discussions about this on the forum before - and this does appear to be a bit hit & miss. On one hand, drones are used to inspect cell towers all the time with no issues, but on the other, the Mavic is a box of unprotected electronics that's susceptible to EMF [Electro-Magnetic Frequency] radiation - like any other.
Personally - I'd fly a tower, but not fly in front of an antenna or antenna array.

Well after watching Dirkclods awesome video of the towers... I'm guessing the answer to the question is no.

Reactions: dirkclod
It isn't with the towers I fly around here but now I live in MS and might not have the power big citys do coming from them .

Edit..now some of those towers are not small as they look in that video .Heres one of them at the end of this I made showing I could take of from the back of my truck .Go to the end of it to see how big it is about 1:45 and it is men working on it at this moment when I was flying .Bigger than they look .

Last edited:
Reactions: bassnbeau
how close is too close to a cell tower?

I am not sure about others but I get very close to towers that transmit microwave signals to a control station. I usually have no problems getting close. Just my 2 cents. I will try to get a video of a close up of a tower, within 1-2 meters from it.

Really cool video of the tower and the guys working on it... I always got a compass error when I was to close to my truck with the MP, I haven’t tried with my M2P. How is it that you don’t get compass errors?

Really cool video of the tower and the guys working on it... I always got a compass error when I was to close to my truck with the MP, I haven’t tried with my M2P. How is it that you don’t get compass errors?
I have no clue but have been using that truck bed for my pad since I have had my first P3 and it even does precision landings back in it. Did a screen video doing it just to try as I always hand catch . I can't do it from my hood but can from that bed and have no errors .

ms-dpuEvJ.gif
Sorry OP didn't mean to throw your thread OT.

I'm hoping to be involved in a work project soon using drones for aerial surveying of fixed wifi delivery towers. thinking a Matrice 210 at the moment, but will see how it pans out.

I have no clue but have been using that truck bed for my pad since I have had my first P3 and it even does precision landings back in it. Did a screen video doing it just to try as I always hand catch . I can't do it from my hood but can from that bed and have no errors .

View attachment 57715
I'll try it today to see if I get a compass error.
Thanks

View attachment 57715

So I tried the bed of my pickup and I’ll be darned if it didn’t work. No compass error, took off and landed in it.
It’s really strange because I’ve had compass errors trying to take off from concrete because of the rebar.
[emoji106]

So I tried the bed of my pickup and I’ll be darned if it didn’t work. No compass error, took off and landed in it.
It’s really strange because I’ve had compass errors trying to take off from concrete because of the rebar.
[emoji106]
Strange isn't it but I have been doing it for several years but only a few times with the precision landing but almost always have hand caught . Had to try though .
First time I was ready to abort if I had to but never did .Ya learn something everyday huh .:p

Strange isn't it but I have been doing it for several years but only a few times with the precision landing but almost always have hand caught . Had to try though .
First time I was ready to abort if I had to but never did .Ya learn something everyday huh .:p

You sure do. That’s what’s so great about this forum.

Happy flying

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WTF-N1466