DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cellular connection on iPad needed?

howard.allum

Reactions
I usually use my iPhone on my MM controller, but the DJI Fly app downloads very well to my iPad. However the iPad's wi-fi only, so will I need cellular connection when I'm out flying? The aircraft connects and all seems OK when I'm at home and on wi-fi but what about out and about? Probably a naive question...

I use the Mavic Mini all the time with my 2018 iPad (wifi only) and it works just fine. You only need internet for software/firmware updates as far as I know.

Reactions: howard.allum
The only other issue you might have is the updating of the 'Map' function. There are several YouTube vid's about pre-cache'ing Maps in your device before you go to the flying site.

the secret with a wifi only ipad i use one by the way,is before you plan to go out for a days flying, just check for any updates while you have an internet connection at home, i say this because back about 6 months ago when i first started using my ipad, after changing from an android device, i went out to fly in a very out of the way area where there was no wifi or even cell connection on my phone, upon setting everything up to fly as it was all linking up i got a firmware inconsistency message and it told me to update now, obviously i couldnt where i was and i was unable to fly there, i had to drive some distance to get a signal on my phone and do a wifi link to it to do the update , by this time the weather had changed and i had to abandon flying for the day, still lesson learned,i would not like it to happen to someone else hence this post

The aircraft connects and all seems OK when I'm at home and on wi-fi but what about out and about?
The drone connects to the remote controller via Wi-Fi to send the video signal and other telemetry. It doesn't use/need the Wi-Fi on your mobile device.

If you have not updated the firmware before leaving (highly recommended .. and it must be on your list of actions before flying.) You may skip the "inconsistent firmware" message and if you want to update it, you will need "data" on your Ipad or on your mobile.
You can use the wi-fi service of your mobile .. and connect your Ipad to the wi-fi of your cell phone to use the maps ... is what I do ..
Or download the maps before the flight.

If you have not updated the firmware before leaving (highly recommended .. and it must be on your list of actions before flying.) You may skip the "inconsistent firmware" message and if you want to update it, you will need "data" on your Ipad or on your mobile.
You can use the wi-fi service of your mobile .. and connect your Ipad to the wi-fi of your cell phone to use the maps ... is what I do ..
i did not get the option to do that where i was it would not let the drone or controller link at all

thanks for your input ,i agree that i should have checked for updates before i fly but on this occasion i had done so on my android and hadnt realised there was an update for the ios as i had not used it before,it is a mistake that once learned you dont make again

i did not get the option to do that where i was it would not let the drone or controller link at all

Most cell phones allow their use as a Wi-Fi signal source ... In my case with a Huawei, it would be .. Settings -> Data traffic management -> Portable Wi-Fi zone ...
But each brand and model has its specific route ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr