DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cellular Data Required with DJI Fly -- For What Exactly?

...I then fire up the bird in the house without flying it and "import the unlocking licenses into the aircraft"...
chuckm -- A bit more detail on this would help. When you "fire up the bird in the house," do you import the licenses wired to the computer (using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic perhaps) or through the connected cell phone over wi-fi? Thanks! -- jclarkw

Go onto Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI and check to see if your operation is in a GEO zone. You might have to be connected to the internet if you plan on taking off there as you might have to "accept responsibility" and what not.

Also, make sure to turn your drone on at the house before leaving. if you are like me and only fly twice-ish a month then you will most likely have to do an update, which will require internet.

Other than that, you should be good to go. I believe you won't have the live map but not the end of the world.

Enjoy your drone! :)

Last edited:
chuckm -- A bit more detail on this would help. When you "fire up the bird in the house," do you import the licenses wired to the computer (using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic perhaps) or through the connected cell phone over wi-fi? Thanks! -- jclarkw
Chuck - Check this link out I believe this is what you are looking for.

SAUCE

As for "firing up the bird in the house", I would recommend not attaching the props for this.

Reactions: jclarkw
thats what I use as well an ipad mini 4, no issues at all!

Chuck - Check this link out I believe this is what you are looking for.

SAUCE

As for "firing up the bird in the house", I would recommend not attaching the props for this.
Evan -- This is a very helpful link regarding the DJI GO 4 app. Unfortunately DJI apparently wants me to use the DJI Fly app (or DJI Assistant 2 for downloading firmware updates through a computer) with their Mavic Air 2. Does anyone know if these instructions will still work with DJI Fly? -- jclarkw

Location of some prompts and settings may be different but concept is identical. He's using Go as an example.

Only mistake I see is to get started with the process in-field, attempt to start motors with CSC or attempt to take off.
Drove me nuts to figure that out on my M2 when DJI finally was consistent in putting an authorization zone over my house due to runway approach. Remote said "In NFZ" and app said "Cannot Fly".

Before DJI changed the Geofencing method, nothing showed I could not fly but would get enhanced warning prompts when I attempted to fly.

I import the licenses via wifi on my iPad mini while in the DJI Fly app with the bird powered up. I access this through settings (three dots in upper right corner) and then go to Unlock Geo Zone under the Safety heading and click on Import to Aircraft. The DJI app responds Imported Successfully. I then shut the bird and app down. When I go to fly at the Authorization Zone where I fly, I don't need internet access to execute the unlocking.

Cellular capability is not needed unless you want to have a live map when flying, but that can be cached at home with WiFi before the flight.
chazzm -- If I asked this before, I have to apologize that I've forgotten the answer:

How do you download maps in advance at home (when you have Internet) and cache them in the DJI Fly app for later flight (when you don't have Internet? I can't find any way to do this in the app... -- jclarkw

Open app
Connect aircraft
Top right clic camera
Zoom in map to street levels all around
outasite -- I guess I wasn't clear: The problem is getting an appropriate regional map loaded into DJI Fly at home while connected to Internet, then having it available for a flight in that region (not near home) later on without access to Internet.

I can see the local map showing where I am at home, but I want a map of another region available for another time when flying at a remote location covered by that map?

What am I missing here? -- jclarkw

outasite -- I guess I wasn't clear: The problem is getting an appropriate regional map loaded into DJI Fly at home while connected to Internet, then having it available for a flight in that region (not near home) later on without access to Internet.

I can see the local map showing where I am at home, but I want a map of another region available for another time when flying at a remote location covered by that map?

What am I missing here? -- jclarkw

The map should be cached in the device memory for use later after scrolling around the map while sitting at home using the home Wi-Fi.

I'm not sure how long it stays cached, but It's there when I go to fly in a non Wi-Fi area.

I use a Wi-Fi only iPad mini4 and that is how the map works for me.

Watch that video
You might have to search it I am new to this forum and can’t upload the link. Hope this helps you

When posting a video, copy the link from YouTube and paste the link in the post.

The link will change to a Thumbnail for viewing.

Here you go...

Reactions: outasite
Watch that video
You might have to search it I am new to this forum and can’t upload the link. Hope this helps you
Wow! Some slick video. But I think I've got it now: DJI Fly has a cache for maps that (apparently) stores the latest viewed online (perhaps until something else from online replaces it). Like magic! Too bad DJI didn't bother to explain these details to us dullards... -- jclarkw

Go app for Android has a specific option for downloading map sections for caching, much like Google Map.

Go for Android would have the cache non-volatile, meaning you'll have cached data even if you close the app or power off the Android.
Caching on the iOS was volatile. If you stop the app, you lost the cache.

I'm not sure if Fly is the same way as far as cache volatility.

Over wi-fi.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut