DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cellular Data Required with DJI Fly -- For What Exactly?

jclarkw

Reactions
As a new owner of a Mavic Air 2 Fly More package, I'm confused about what is required in a "mobile device." My existing smartphone (Motorola Moto G6) is not on the recommended list, and DJI tech support has advised me that it is unlikely to run DJI Fly. I have no intention of retiring it, so I've ordered a cheap refurbished one that is. These things come without a cellular account, of course, and I don't want another account anyhow. Here's my confusion:
1) A DJI tech support person told me directly that a cellular connection is NOT required to run DJI Fly on a compatible smartphone. (Apparently you can fly these things with tablets also, which don't normally have cellular accounts.)
2) I have a buddy (on the other side of the country) who tried flying his Air 2 with his cell phone set to airplane mode and said it worked fine.
3) Now, however, I see a fine-print note on p.40 of the Air 2 User Manual that says, "Mobile cellular data is required when using DJI Fly. Contact your wireless carrier for data charges." [emphasis mine]

So what is the whole truth here? I see a few other discussions (not regarding the Air 2) that indicate a cellular connection is not required to use DJI Fly. Then what is the manual trying to tell me? What exactly will I be unable to do, especially given that I have another smartphone in my pocket that does have a cellular account? Frustrated! -- jclarkw

short answer: absolutely NOT necessary.
Yes to this. And for a slightly longer answer:

You do not need it. Without it, you have two concerns (off the top of my head)

1) If you are in an area where you need to authorize with DJI to fly, you'll need connectivity (wifi, connect to phone hotspot, cellular) to unlock the area.

2) Maps require data to load if you want the map in flight. You can do this over wifi, hotspot or cell as well. You can also "preload" the maps, but opening the map when you have wifi and scroll around a bit before you go out to fly.

Plenty of people fly without cellular, and even DJI's own Smart Controller does not have it.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland jclarkw.

Cellular capability is not needed unless you want to have a live map when flying, but that can be cached at home with WiFi before the flight.

I have been using a WiFi only mini4 with my Spark and MA2 with no problems.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

This topic has been discussed often. Here are some results I found when I searched for you.

Welcome to the forum jclarkw from the land of Oz. I operate my drones in areas where there is no cellular connection and they work fine, DJI Fly and Go4. Only time i need cellular is updating and syncing my gear which i do before and after the task.

Welcome to the forum, and greetings from San Diego.

We’ve all gone through our own learning curves...enjoy the ride. Always fly safe.

Reactions: MA2 317
You'll also need internet to log the app into your DJI account and to perform the one time activation of the AC.

That page footnote should have said internet access by the mobile device is required in certain circumstances. It doesn't have to be cellular though.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
DJI Fly will operate without Cellular however, without cellular, your map can be off by several metres. I checked this out with a cellular phone against a non cellular iPad. When I bound the iPad to the phone, the map jumped by around 30 Metres. Map accuracy can be important when using apps like Litchi and Dronelink and also when windy. This inaccuracy led to my flying my Mini into a tree using Litchi.

Synching before going out is ok if you plan your flights, but if like me you pick a spot as you go, or choose a different location when you get to your preplanned spot because of people (full parks), etc, then updating on the go is invaluable. I bought a wifi only iPad Mini, had my crash, analysed the data files, exchanged it for Cellular. Maps now accurate and no issues running the same flight plan on Litchi since. But as I said, I often choose locations on the spur of the moment.

It's often windy around where I live and I like to have accurate maps to work with.

Last edited:
As I remember I did have to have a internet connection on the initial startup. I generally get the blue airspace clearances on my computer.

DJI Fly will operate without Cellular however, without cellular, your map can be off by several metres. I checked this out with a cellular phone against a non cellular iPad. When I bound the iPad to the phone, the map jumped by around 30 Metres. Map accuracy can be important when using apps like Litchi and Dronelink and also when windy. This inaccuracy led to my flying my Mini into a tree using Litchi.

Synching before going out is ok if you plan your flights, but if like me you pick a spot as you go, or choose a different location when you get to your preplanned spot because of people (full parks), etc, then updating on the go is invaluable. I bought a wifi only iPad Mini, had my crash, analysed the data files, exchanged it for Cellular. Maps now accurate and no issues running the same flight plan on Litchi since. But as I said, I often choose locations on the spur of the moment.

It's often windy around where I live and I like to have accurate maps to work with.
Cellular itself has no bearing on map accuracy. It just that wifi only ipads don't have GPS so location services rely on WiFi signals at known locations (your own home WiFi may be in that database) to estimate where you are.

Most Android tablets do have GPS but might not have a compass.

That's about the only time you need cellular but it doesn't have to be with the tablet running Fly though that does save you a step in not having to enter the texted code.

But you can unlock a zone ahead of time when not at location by going to Flysafe.dji.com from a desktop.
The SN they ask for is the flight controller which may be the AC SN. This is not asking for the RC SN.

Jclarkw - yes, much to learn. Me too - and I've been at it awhile. So - I've learned: DJI manual - must be learned - but is a poor source of 'how' and 'why'. It is mostly 'what'.

I've found some outstanding material on YouTube. Some of the best is from outside North America. Have fun.

Yes to this. And for a slightly longer answer:

You do not need it. Without it, you have two concerns (off the top of my head)

1) If you are in an area where you need to authorize with DJI to fly, you'll need connectivity (wifi, connect to phone hotspot, cellular) to unlock the area.

2) Maps require data to load if you want the map in flight. You can do this over wifi, hotspot or cell as well. You can also "preload" the maps, but opening the map when you have wifi and scroll around a bit before you go out to fly.

Plenty of people fly without cellular, and even DJI's own Smart Controller does not have it.
Number 1) is not really true. I unlock the GEO zone where I fly online at home on my Mac fifteen days at a time. I then fire up the bird in the house without flying it and "import the unlocking licenses into the aircraft". Then when i subsequently go out to fly in the authorization zone near home, I can execute the unlock without cellular service.

As a new owner of a Mavic Air 2 Fly More package, I'm confused about what is required in a "mobile device." My existing smartphone (Motorola Moto G6) is not on the recommended list, and DJI tech support has advised me that it is unlikely to run DJI Fly. I have no intention of retiring it, so I've ordered a cheap refurbished one that is. These things come without a cellular account, of course, and I don't want another account anyhow. Here's my confusion:
1) A DJI tech support person told me directly that a cellular connection is NOT required to run DJI Fly on a compatible smartphone. (Apparently you can fly these things with tablets also, which don't normally have cellular accounts.)
2) I have a buddy (on the other side of the country) who tried flying his Air 2 with his cell phone set to airplane mode and said it worked fine.
3) Now, however, I see a fine-print note on p.40 of the Air 2 User Manual that says, "Mobile cellular data is required when using DJI Fly. Contact your wireless carrier for data charges." [emphasis mine]

So what is the whole truth here? I see a few other discussions (not regarding the Air 2) that indicate a cellular connection is not required to use DJI Fly. Then what is the manual trying to tell me? What exactly will I be unable to do, especially given that I have another smartphone in my pocket that does have a cellular account? Frustrated! -- jclarkw
I have a Mavic Air 2 that I bought two months ago. I have a Motorola G Stylus and that phone wasn't on the list of supported phones, but it works great! I actually bought another one since it was only around $200 so I could use it exclusively for flying. You don't need cell service to fly, but you will need to let it do updates over WiFi occasionally. I haven't had any problems at all.

Reactions: jclarkw
I use an ipad mini5 wifi only with my MA2. I set my phone up as a hotspot to get the maps and authorizations if needed. Works great for me, plus the larger screen is easier on old eyes.

Reactions: Gagey52 and jclarkw
My existing smartphone (Motorola Moto G6) is not on the recommended list, and DJI tech support has advised me that it is unlikely to run DJI Fly.

Don't know about Fly, but I use my old Moto E4 to fly my Spark and Zoom using Go4. No SIM ..no service. Works great.

Some even recommend putting the phone in airplane mode while flying. I don't, but then, I did get a phone call about home security while making a shot, to maybe I should start.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31