DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini with cellular, or wifi?

Nonprophet

Reactions
So it's my understanding that in order to use the drone orientation icon at the bottom center of the Fly app that your ipad must be a cellular version as only cellular-enabled iPads have a GPS antenna. You don't need to have an active cellular account (or even a SIM card) you just need the built-in GPS antenna.

But what happens if you are paired via wifi or bluetooth to your smartphone and you are using a wi-fi only iPad mini? I do this onsite before each flight in order to access the local maps when using my iPad Mini 4--which is a cellular version. I'm thinking about upgrading to a Mini 5, and want to know if I need the cellular version or not in order to use the drone orientation icon. If I'm paired with my smartphone, will the Fly app use the GPS antenna in my smartphone to use the drone orientation feature, or does the device directly connected to the remote control need to be GPS enabled?

Thanks!

I use my old iPhone 6s hotspot communicating to a iPad Mini 4 and a iPad Mini 5 and I get full gps data to the drones. Have never had a problem.

I use my old iPhone 6s hotspot communicating to a iPad Mini 4 and a iPad Mini 5 and I get full gps data to the drones. Have never had a problem.
That's very unusual.
Is the iPad wifi only or is it cellular capable?

What do you mean by "get full gps data to the drones"?
How have you used the phone's GPS data in your flying?
When I review my flight records, whether Litchi or Go4, lat and long are recorded so I'm saying my iPads are receiving that from the phone.

When I review my flight records, whether Litchi or Go4, lat and long are recorded so I'm saying my iPads are receiving that from the phone.
Your drone has its own GPS receiver and that's what it uses for flight and it's the source of the location data in the app.
Your phone could only supply it's own location and knowing the location of your phone wouldn't help know where the drone is or be of much use during most flight.
Your phone is not sharing GPS data with your app or controller or drone.

Your drone has its own GPS receiver and that's what it uses for flight.
Knowing the location of your phone wouldn't help know where the drone is or be of much use during most flight.
Your phone is not sharing GPS data with your app or controller or drone.
Why then when I check my home location it shows it on the map?

Your drone records it's home location as soon as it gets good GPS position data after startup.
That's the location it aims for if you initiate RTH.
That's the location you are seeing.
Again, if I don't have gps, how is the drone getting it?

Again, if I don't have gps, how is the drone getting it?
One more time ..your drone has its own GPS receiver, built-in to the drone by DJI.
And again, the GPS location data from your phone is of no use in your flying.
If you saw the location data from the phone, it would show exactly the same spot every second of your flight.
Look at your flight data and it's showing where your drone is in the air every second of the flight.

And if you want to prove it ... fly without hotspotting from your phone and check your flight data.

Reactions: Modra and dawgpilot
Phone/tablet GPS is used only if you select to update HP to where the remote is, and where the remote is (separate dot from HP dot). Also used for Follow Me flight mode available in older Mavic models. Follow Me is like Active Track, but tracks remote GPS rather than optical.

Location services in phones/tablets have other tricks to approximate location when it doesn't have or use GPS but that's not good enough for the DJI apps.

I am using a Ipad mini 5 wifi only and have always had aircraft orientation at bottom of screen.

Reactions: Modra
If you can afford the cellular version one, get it. If you cant, is not a killer.

Garmin sells a small gps device (GLO 2) that can be paired with the Ipad Mini via Bluetooth.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR