DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Biggiestews

Reactions
Hey guys,

I've been travelling for 2 months now with my Mavic through Brazil (arrived by air), Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru (all land borders) and am next heading onwards to my final destination in Mexico. Was wondering if anyone had taken a Mavic Pro across land borders into any or all: Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, El Salvador or Mexico?!

As I intend to fly out of Mexico any information on these land borders would be much appreciated!

Happy to help with anyone wanting information on any of the countries I've already come through.

Hoping to help everyone with Mavics on the regulations across Central and South America!

Cheers!

Reactions: Ivan2408
Greetings! Sadly I do not have any tips to offer. I do however plan on taking mine for trips in future.

My biggest fear would be getting it confiscated at border / airport by corrupt officials who may want to sell it for cash or to get you to pay to get it back. Did you encounter any issue from border / airport officials?

Reactions: Biggiestews
At this point, I haven't had a single issue. To be honest, my bags have only been scanned crossing from Argentina to Chile and there was no issues. I split all the parts up also. Actually the only even mention of a drone was flying to Brazil from Australia, I stopped by New Zealand who searched my bag but proceeded to let me pass after checking every battery. No issues there either. I'll update this thread across each border.

Reactions: Ivan2408
I was looking at the Mavic videos on YouTube and I remembered this video when I saw your post. Apparently you cannot enter Nicaragua with a drone. Not sure about the other countries.

I was looking at the Mavic videos on YouTube and I remembered this video when I saw your post. Apparently you cannot enter Nicaragua with a drone. Not sure about the other countries.

Yeah I saw that also, but again that was at customs so I'm unsure how land borders are.

Hey guys,

I've been travelling for 2 months now with my Mavic through Brazil (arrived by air), Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru (all land borders) and am next heading onwards to my final destination in Mexico. Was wondering if anyone had taken a Mavic Pro across land borders into any or all: Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, El Salvador or Mexico?!

As I intend to fly out of Mexico any information on these land borders would be much appreciated!

Happy to help with anyone wanting information on any of the countries I've already come through.

Hoping to help everyone with Mavics on the regulations across Central and South America!

Cheers!

I am wanting to take my mavic to chile next month. I cant find a definitive answer if the mavic needs to be registered?

Can you advise from your experience and did you have any issues flying in chile.

Thanks

I am wanting to take my mavic to chile next month. I cant find a definitive answer if the mavic needs to be registered?

Can you advise from your experience and did you have any issues flying in chile.

Thanks

Hey mate, sorry for the delayed response! I crossed into Chile from Argentina at a land border and although my bags were scanned there were no issues. I flew no problems all over a number of cities and while I’m usually quite discreet about launching and landing, didn’t have any issues whatsoever. Hope this helps! I’ve crossed all land borders from Chile all the way to Costa Rica now and haven’t had a single issue to date!

Hey all,

I’m traveling from Australia next month to LA then to Cuba for a week and onwards to Mexico for a few weeks. Was wanting to take my mavic but the Cuban laws prohibit drones! Was wondering if anyone has any ideas how I could still have it for Mexico is there storage at the Cuban airport or something? Really bummed if I have to leave it behind..Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Hey mate, I haven’t ventured to Cuba as of yet but am planning on heading there in a few weeks. From what I’ve heard you’d be better off leaving your mavic in whatever Mexican airport you’re flying from and then getting back when you return. I’ve heard the Cuban customs aren’t as liberal as other countries on holding them for you. But let us know either way! Enjoy your holiday!

Hey guys, next recap for anyone following this. Have now made it through from Guatemala into and out of Belize and into Mexico. There were no issues however there were no bag scanners in Belize. They aren’t welcome there however and I have heard of them being seized at the airport, luckily I entered by land where it is slightly easier.

Hey mate, sorry for the delayed response! I crossed into Chile from Argentina at a land border and although my bags were scanned there were no issues. I flew no problems all over a number of cities and while I’m usually quite discreet about launching and landing, didn’t have any issues whatsoever. Hope this helps! I’ve crossed all land borders from Chile all the way to Costa Rica now and haven’t had a single issue to date!

Hey. Going to costa rica in January by plane though. Ive read the new rules and regulations printed in August 2017. You need a license to fly recreationally?

Hey. Going to costa rica in January by plane though. Ive read the new rules and regulations printed in August 2017. You need a license to fly recreationally?

Hi mate, I crossed in and out of Costa Rica twice by land borders and didn’t have a single issue - no bag scanners. Flew in a few places including Monteverde, San José, Puerto Viejo and Manuel Antonio. Always kept away from people and was discreet but again didn’t have a single issue. Can’t comment on the airport legalities however as I never got there! Sorry I can’t be of more help!

Reactions: Chadnovz
Hi mate, I crossed in and out of Costa Rica twice by land borders and didn’t have a single issue - no bag scanners. Flew in a few places including Monteverde, San José, Puerto Viejo and Manuel Antonio. Always kept away from people and was discreet but again didn’t have a single issue. Can’t comment on the airport legalities however as I never got there! Sorry I can’t be of more help!

Thanks. I went over to their website and just registered my drone. No harm in doing it. They gave me a “plate number” for my drone hehehe. Will be sticking it somewhere [emoji848]

Hey guys,

Cheers!

Hi Biggiestews,
I know that this was quite a while ago now, but hoping you can help. I'm planning on backpacking from Mexico --> Panama and would love to take my Mavic Air. I'm really concerned about the Nicaraguan border though as I've heard so many horror stories of people having drones confiscated. What was your experience? Thanks!

Hey Alex,
First of all epic trip Mexico through to Panama is so awesome! That was the second part of my trip but in the opposite order. I'm going to be brutally honest, you should try to do figure something out for your drone for the Nica part of the trip. I had mine seized but managed (with much difficulty) to get it across with the help of some locals and a few benjamin franklins, but i don't suggest it if you're not a Spanish speaker. Once in the country, locals and foreigners alike don't really have an issue at all (fly respectfully as per usual), but getting both in and out of the country weren't fun. Every other country has no issues except for Belize. Drones are also illegal here, so depending on your route may need to figure out on that front also. You could potentially fly across Nica into San Jose, Costa Rica (leave drone here) and then work back up to Nica and then back down. At the end of the day, it's up to you but crossing into Nica from Costa Rica, they have scanners and they picked my mavic pro up even when split across a few bags and seized it. I understand the air's slightly smaller, but if i went again I wouldn't risk it.
Let me know if I can help any further.

Hi Guys
I was in Columbia in February - in and out of airports inc the islands of San Andres and Providencia. No problems at airports (they don't seem bothered) and no problems flying.

I have taken mine through
Hey guys,

Cheers!
Cilo
Hey guys,

Cheers!
taken my ne through Colombia, Panama and Costa Rica, no problem. I have heard about problems in Nicaragua as they are forbidden. Kept at the border, not always returned.

any problems with the mavic air flying in latin america due to its wifi connection

any problems with the mavic air flying in latin america due to its wifi connection

I live in Costa Rica and have not had any issues with connections. Recently travelled to Colombia, no issues with connections but where you can fly is open to interpretation.
Nicaragua no drones at all and they will confiscate

Hey all,

I’m traveling from Australia next month to LA then to Cuba for a week and onwards to Mexico for a few weeks. Was wanting to take my mavic but the Cuban laws prohibit drones! Was wondering if anyone has any ideas how I could still have it for Mexico is there storage at the Cuban airport or something? Really bummed if I have to leave it behind..Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Hey, did you take your mavic with you?
I’ll go to Cuba in a few months and I’m alredy travelling with it, so I can’t leave it home...
Thanks
Mich

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998