DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Central PA (Hershey/Hummelstown/Harrisburg Area)

RgrDat

Reactions
I know there is a North Eastern PA thread, but I'm pretty sure I'm considered Central, PA. I'm not from the area as I came here for school from the Military of which I was stationed in Savannah, GA. I grew up however, in Southern Cali. I don't really know anybody outside my class in the Med school and none of them have a drone, let alone a Mavic (that I know of). So anyone in the area, please feel free to respond as I'd love to meet some new people that enjoy flying as much as I do. I live in Hershey, but I'm flexible. Anyway, hope to hear from some of you soon. Cheers.

Hi,
First welcome to the area. I from the same area and I just got my Mavic 2 weeks ago. I haven't had time to test mine due to busy schedule.
But when I'm free up I can meet up. The hard part is finding an area to fly without getting hassle.

Charlie

Hi,
First welcome to the area. I from the same area and I just got my Mavic 2 weeks ago. I haven't had time to test mine due to busy schedule.
But when I'm free up I can meet up. The hard part is finding an area to fly without getting hassle.

Charlie

Thanks. And I have somewhere around 10 hours of flight time all around Hershey and I've never been hassled at all. Are you implying you were hassled somewhere around here?

Good to hear you found places to fly. I work in Hershey and there are lots of cool places but private property that don't allow flying. Plus township police monitor the area well.

Huh, well I'll consider myself luck then that I haven't had any problems. Regardless, maybe we can go fly sometime? I'm in school during the week and studying a lot of the rest of my free time, but I definitely make time for myself to get up in the air. Hit me up, we'll see about finding a time and place if you're interested? And the name's Matt.

Create a Meetup Account

I made a Meetup group for people in the area. The link pasted above should take you there if you'd like to...meet up. First meet up is scheduled for this Saturday, Mar 25th in Hershey at a little park with a stream across from the Giant Ctr. Details on Meetup if you're interested. That is all...carry on.

Reactions: Kennye24
I am in the northern Lancaster area. Not able to make it this Saturday but hopefully meetup sometime soon. I work a lot of weekends, but not all of them. Had mine for two days and look forward to flying different areas!

I am in the northern Lancaster area. Not able to make it this Saturday but hopefully meetup sometime soon. I work a lot of weekends, but not all of them. Had mine for two days and look forward to flying different areas!

For sure man...assuming it goes well tomorrow morning, I'll definitely be scheduling some more in the near future. If you let me know when you are usually free, I'll see what I can do to make at least one meet up in ur window. Until then, let me know if you have any questions (no promises I'll have answers, but I'll do my best)

I will check out the meet up group. New owner from the area as well

Thanks. And I have somewhere around 10 hours of flight time all around Hershey and I've never been hassled at all. Are you implying you were hassled somewhere around here?

I'm in the area today. I'm from New York City but spend most of my time in Rockville Maryland. If someone's flying in the Hershey area or anywhere near Harrisburg PA today that's "safe" please reach out. I'm here through tomorrow evening and would love to get some good footage of the area.

Hi everyone. I’m from Lititz, lanc county
Just got my mavic a week ago
And looking for good places to fly

I'm across the river in New Cumberland and I can easily get to Hershey. The next time you are looking for a meet-up, gimme a shout. I bicycle all over that area and I see a lot of places I would like to fly.

Reactions: dbaim76
Any still flying locally, Harrisburg/Hershey area? I am in Camp Hill.

What do you all think of the new PA Legeslation, Act 78? By my reading, it criminalizes any drone activity that any back yard is visible. I am surprised that there hasn’t been an outcry over this new law. I especially thought that they news industry and real estate industry have not spoken up, neither have been exempted. You can find the law here: 2018 Act 78.

What do you all think of the new PA Legeslation, Act 78? By my reading, it criminalizes any drone activity that any back yard is visible. I am surprised that there hasn’t been an outcry over this new law. I especially thought that they news industry and real estate industry have not spoken up, neither have been exempted. You can find the law here: 2018 Act 78.
I clicked your link but nothing returned. However, given what little info you have provided, I would expect that the argument will eventually conflict with the FAA regulations regarding airspace and a private citizens right to privacy.

If my flights were directly, negatively impacting someone's use of their property, then I might be able to see a legal argument for harassment. However if my sunset shots, for example, include someone's property as part of the photo because it's in the camera's field of view, I can't see this standing up in court.

As you have explained it, I would guess this is a catch all law that might be used if someone wanted to press an issue and had nothing better to contend. Basically, stop doing what you're doing because I don't like it and if you don't, I'll sue you.

Given that there are no exemptions at the moment, the first time I'm charged, I'd bring in every news video and real estate clip I could find and use them in my defense.

Of course, this is all speculation given I haven't seen the legislation.

I apologies that the link was bad. I copied it straight from the Leheslature web site.

3505. Unlawful use of unmanned aircraft.

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits the offense of unlawful use of unmanned aircraft if the person uses an unmanned aircraft intentionally or knowingly to:

(1) Conduct surveillance of another person in a private place.

(2) Operate in a manner which places another person in reasonable fear of bodily injury.

f) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Bodily injury." As defined in section 2301 (relating to definitions).

"Law enforcement officer." An officer of the United States, of another state or subdivision thereof, or of the Commonwealth or political subdivision thereof, who is empowered by law to conduct investigations of or to make arrests for offenses enumerated in this title or an equivalent crime in another jurisdiction and an attorney authorized by law to prosecute or participate in the prosecution of the offense.

"Private place." A place where a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

"Surveillance." Using or causing to be used an unmanned aircraft to observe, record or invade the privacy of another.

"Unmanned aircraft." An aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.

I'm in Perry County, north of Harrisburg. Looks like the meetup group is no longer around. Anyone still fly around Central PA?

Reactions: dbaim76
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78