DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CF Props

Saigondroner

Reactions
Yes, after all my tirades against ANY power train upgrades, I now ask what ppl’s experiences have been. A friend gave me a set of CF props.....they weigh ~60g more than normal DJi props.

I have mic’ed then, and the balance was perfect....in fact better than the DJI OEM’s. I Loctited all the new screws, and all seems OK.

Can any old school pilots bash my loaf, and remind me why cheap Chinese DJI tat should never be considered??

54721d458f75eb7e1ab377f6dc47b7fa.jpg
433ac91f14651589fa5db9b7f0c14d2e.jpg

Generic CF blades are stiffer than the OEM blades and will perform differently. I just dont trust any aftermarket blade on my drones.

On your particular CF blades, look at the blade tip. It is different than the OEM blade, and will have an affect on the drones handling.

Yes, after all my tirades against ANY power train upgrades ...
Are you sure they are going to be an upgrade?
They would have to be better in some way for that.
Can any old school pilots bash my loaf, and remind me why cheap Chinese DJI tat should never be considered??
If it's CF (or looks like CF) it must be better .. right?

Are you sure they are going to be an upgrade?
They would have to be better in some way for that.

If it's CF (or looks like CF) it must be better .. right?

CF is kewl, right? :)

I was surprised that they are heavier than OEM. The lead & trailing edges seem OK. They are much stiffer than OEM. The ends have a tapered winglet upward. I’ll probably do a daylight hover leave it at that.

If they were designed for the Air, I’d be much more curious, to be quieter.

I will capture the test, and post.

If you inadvertently fly into tree branches, do you want your props to break or remain like weed wackers and possibly damage the motor mounts?

I’ve never changed my props for third party props, don’t get me wrong those CF props do look nice but I know the standard DJI low noise props were designed for the M2’s
Props are one of the most important things on your drone.
No doubt using them would also void your warranty if something was to go wrong.

These appear to be c-f copies of the same design 'shape' and pitch etc. as the M2Pro 8743 prop's ... If that's the case then you'll find that they will give similar performance, but the motors will draw more current to spin them. The rpm will be lower due to the stiffness of the prop-blades, and flight duration will be shorter. Since the rpm will be lower, your top-speed will also drop.
On the plus side, due to the lower rpm, these prop's will probably be quieter than the DJI stock 8743's, and since they don't flex, they will keep the Mavic a lot more stable in the hover (good if you are flying a M2Pro Zoom).

Reactions: Saigondroner
Ok, here are some of my professional experiences with knock-off props.
  • Installed fake props. Within 2 seconds of motor spooling up, prop came flying off.
  • Installed fake props. Drone got into a hover and then acted like it was in a high wind on a calm day.
  • Installed fake props. Drone hovered, but motors surged inexplicably.
After I removed the fake ones, I installed OEM props and enjoyed the test flight.

In all the above situations, these were props that customers sent to me with their repair. I usually put them into a Ziploc bag when the repair is finished and am sending the repair back to them. I put a label on the Ziploc, "I would not use these."

I’ve never changed my props for third party props, don’t get me wrong those CF props do look nice but I know the standard DJI low noise props were designed for the M2’s
Props are one of the most important things on your drone.
No doubt using them would also void your warranty if something was to go wrong.

How many times have I said “props” ?????

Reactions: Former Member
Lucky props isnt a longer word. If they were called "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" it would lengthen your post quite a bit.
Lmao

I read my post back hence why I posted my comment about it? nothing like taking the pee out of myself??

Back the the jaegermeister and red bull????????

Lucky props isnt a longer word. If they were called "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" it would lengthen your post quite a bit.
...................................................................................."Antiestablishmentarianism" is a close second, a real word and was used in some game show many moons ago.

...................................................................................."Antiestablishmentarianism" is a close second, a real word and was used in some game show many moons ago.

I have heard the word disestablishmentarianism but never antiestablishmentarianism. Now thats a real winner!

The rpm will be lower due to the stiffness of the prop-blades, and flight duration will be shorter. Since the rpm will be lower, your top-speed will also drop.
.............. and since they don't flex, they will keep the Mavic a lot more stable in the hover (good if you are flying a M2Pro Zoom).
Umm not sure why a stiff prop would require lower rpm..
Also stiff props, with no give, don’t necessarily mean more stable. If there is no flew, then and ‘movement’ is transferred direct to craft instead of being taken up by flex.

I love carbon probs, and have a set on one of my inspires and larger craft. All craft over 10kg are slung under carbon props for me. But these little buzz machines just don’t benefit from them and the DJI props are the ideal, and safest choice

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Also stiff props, with no give, don’t necessarily mean more stable. If there is no flew, then and ‘movement’ is transferred direct to craft instead of being taken up by flex.

I love carbon probs, and have a set on one of my inspires and larger craft. All craft over 10kg are slung under carbon props for me. But these little buzz machines just don’t benefit from them and the DJI props are the ideal, and safest choice
That's my experience of them @anzacjack - I've done flight tests comparing 8331 DJI prop's with the same shape equivalent 3rd party C-F prop's. They turn slower because the blade has very little flex. A DJI prop-blade will 'feather' (twist length-wise) into the airflow and therefore will lose some of its pitch angle while it's spinning through the air. The C-F prop just doesn't - and therefore effectively has a greater [active] pitch than the same spec' DJI prop. Result is, that when the Mavic is in the hover, the C-F prop's are moving the same amount of air at a lower rpm - to keep the Mavic sitting in the same spot. I can't remember exactly, but the rpm reading on the RC controller went down by around 60 when C-F prop's were flown.

My observations showed that stability was improved (I observed the Mavic hovering in a slight cross-wind, in front of a garden trellis grid), and the conclusion I came to for that, was due to the motor control inputs being fed directly to the prop's, and not being 'absorbed' by flex in the [standard DJI] prop-blade.

I rather liked flying my Mavic Pro Platinum on C-F 8331 prop's - but switched to Master Airscrew, because they gave the advantages of C-F, without the shorter flight duration.

Reactions: Dragonfly
How many times have I said “props” ?????
That's my experience of them @anzacjack - I've done flight tests comparing 8331 DJI prop's with the same shape equivalent 3rd party C-F prop's. They turn slower because the blade has very little flex. A DJI prop-blade will 'feather' (twist length-wise) into the airflow and therefore will lose some of its pitch angle while it's spinning through the air. The C-F prop just doesn't - and therefore effectively has a greater [active] pitch than the same spec' DJI prop. Result is, that when the Mavic is in the hover, the C-F prop's are moving the same amount of air at a lower rpm - to keep the Mavic sitting in the same spot. I can't remember exactly, but the rpm reading on the RC controller went down by around 60 when C-F prop's were flown.

My observations showed that stability was improved (I observed the Mavic hovering in a slight cross-wind, in front of a garden trellis grid), and the conclusion I came to for that, was due to the motor control inputs being fed directly to the prop's, and not being 'absorbed' by flex in the [standard DJI] prop-blade.

I rather liked flying my Mavic Pro Platinum on C-F 8331 prop's - but switched to Master Airscrew, because they gave the advantages of C-F, without the shorter flight duration.

Props to ya' :) I did a few hover tests...sound is different, ascend speed higher. Will post. The Mavic Air was almost 400x louder than either M2 blades....~2 dbA....

Prop flexure allows the motors to remain at their optimum speed (according to conditions). I agree; CF is great when racing, or are using specialized flight needs. CF props are like riding a hardtail motorcycle, vs. a softail with airshocks installed. The motors and airframe need to buffer turbulence , when it's happening. Ti/magnesium props would be even worse.

This freebie set I was given seem fairly good, but I won't be using on an M2P, unless in the boonies.

Last edited:
If you inadvertently fly into tree branches, do you want your props to break or remain like weed wackers and possibly damage the motor mounts?

Yep....not too worried about motor mounts; in my part of the world, drones are effectively banned. It takes months for flight plan approval. All I care about is any injury or property damage. I could cost me my residency. Factory props hurt badly enough When a Spark kneecaps after going 'batty mode'...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird