DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Change Height requirements

Gibson74

Reactions
I am needing to know how to change the height that my drone will go. It only allows me to go 120m but I would like to set it up to go the maximum distance.

I am needing to know how to change the height that my drone will go. It only allows me to go 120m but I would like to set it up to go the maximum distance.
Welcome to the forum Gibson.
Your drone has to be powered up to change it but is here in the Go app. I have mine set at 500m and you have to check a box also doing that.
I have never went that high but I have everything set to max.
IMG_3220.jpeg

Be careful going high. Beyond the questionable legality, you can encounter strong wind currents that can push it away, or even flip it over. Pushing it to the ceiling is a great way to lose it :)

WTF? Are you trying to bring down an airliner? 400ft or is the maximum legal altitude for drones. I think 600ft is minimum altitude for manned aircraft.

It's 400ft/120m above ground level where the drone is (in most countries). The drone height is measured from the take off point, so there are plenty situations where you fly above 120m from take off point but still be within 120m of the ground level, e.g. flying up the side of a hill, which would be totally legal.

Of course we don't know the OP's intentions so you are right to point out the legal limit AGL.

WTF? Are you trying to bring down an airliner? 400ft or is the maximum legal altitude for drones. I think 600ft is minimum altitude for manned aircraft.
If you are addressing me what I set my app at is for me to choose .
I answered the OP's question and we will not go off topic in this .
You want to discuss this further with me message me do not post it.

Of course we don't know the OP's intentions so you are right to point out the legal limit AGL.
Believe he was addressing me .
Look guys it's like you said for one you don't know where he is nor what his intentions are but when a 1st time poster ask a question we are not rude. Educate but not with
Should have told him but that was my bad.

I have also set my M2P at max altitude of 500 meters.... not to break the law, but to be able to fly up the sides of mountains to film... even from altitudes of <10’ from actual mountainside.
General aviation with manned aircraft will be 1000’ above the areas I mention above. Safety margin still exists.

It's 400ft/120m above ground level where the drone is (in most countries). The drone height is measured from the take off point, so there are plenty situations where you fly above 120m from take off point but still be within 120m of the ground level, e.g. flying up the side of a hill, which would be totally legal.
So true. I might be up the side of a mountain 800' from launch point but be barely above the tree line and still have my quad w/i view.

Reactions: mereflyer
So true. I might be up the side of a mountain 800' from launch point but be barely above the tree line and still have my quad w/i view.
True... and in instances where I need to go even higher relative to original TO altitude I will land and takeoff again, thus resetting the max altitude from the new TO point. Still maintaining legal altitude.

In Canada, the minimum altitude outside cities is 500ft for manned aircraft, 1000ft above cities. That’s why 400ft is the maximum legal altitude for drones.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I also set my limit at maximum for the reasons stated above. I live in the Transverse mountain range here in Southern California. This brings up an interesting question:

is there an ‘alarm’ that can be set to warn a pilot he’s exceeding the 400 AGL limit (within the app)? Again, that depth perception thingy at distance is hard to judge when flying up a mountain at 500 out.

Reactions: JS1600
This may have already been said; but 120 metres is within 2 metres of maximum altitude AGL permitted for ALL UAV flying. That is the rule pretty much in every country in the world. Similarly, it is also the rule that all UAV flying is VLOS.
I have gone to 33 metres with a reasonably large hexacopter and suggest it is pretty hard to "see" it at that altitude, during the day - even when "hi-viz" in colour. Will you be able to "see" your bird at 120 metres, never mind at higher altitudes?

is there an ‘alarm’ that can be set to warn a pilot he’s exceeding the 400 AGL limit (within the app)? Again, that depth perception thingy at distance is hard to judge when flying up a mountain at 500 out.

If max altitude is set to 120m, the it simply stops, and the nice lady gives a verbal instruction "maximum altitude reached" or similar.

Oh sorry, you meant gaining alt and not exceeding 400' AGL.
Well, you would still get the warning as above, and it wouldn't let you fly higher, so I guess it's still same answer unless max alt is set to 500m etc.
In that case I don't think there is a warning.

I've only taken mine higher once in the desert for a quick shot from 200m or so, think for that week or so I had max alt set for 250m but that one time was all I needed.
Think I would have noted a warning coming up.
Good when you know there are no light planes or helis withing at least several hundred km, and only the commercial aircraft are flying at 9000m + ?

Last edited:
It is very hard to see at that height . . . strobes are a good idea for that, one placed so it is visible from the ground.
I agree with the idea of a strobe that can be seen from the ground. Trouble is, at the moment there is simply not enough real estate on DJI or Yuneec UAVs, which I fly, on the underside of the fuselage to place a strobe unit.
At the moment I am happy to have an anti-collision strobe that is visible from above, and stick to the VLOS rule for both horizontal and vertical distances.

Happy and safe flying.

I agree with the idea of a strobe that can be seen from the ground. Trouble is, at the moment there is simply not enough real estate on DJI or Yuneec UAVs, which I fly, on the underside of the fuselage to place a strobe unit.

I set my MP and Spark drones (and strobes) up last night with velcro tabs (used the self stick and a little back up dob on urethane adhesive), ready for attaching new FHT strobes I have received recently.

I think some of these will be VERY visible from below, even fitted to one side of the Spark only, just under front arm, the FHT dual really looks good from below . . . that's holding it in the house, yet to fly and test distances.

Had no trouble with the MP for room all round, just the Spark literally had just this one spot to fix them.
Decided on one white dual, and the way the battery is just a little offset on the back of the board, it shines down just a bit too.
I'll just turn the Spark to find it.

Have green, red, white for the MP, and I also got one of their Spark strobes (not DJI drone related, just their branding) which has a dome that throws light out.
5 hi intensity cree, so it's hard to look at it.
Will fit on the back of my MP no probs, but would find a place on the Spark for it.

My BIL has an Air, and he could fit the Spark strobe on the back on the hatch cover above vent.
Yet to see his fly with it.

But they are so bright :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada