DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Changes in the EU and UK that could make your drone illegal

Lastrexking

Reactions
Firstly, if you’re not following the drone advocacy group NODE, you really should. I think it's vital that we have a group that protect our hobby - even if it is set up by the manufacturers it is in our interest to support them.

You can find them on Twitter here:

@nodeeurope

@nodecampain

There are currently two issues that all drone owners in the EU need to take notice of.

The first is the EU's plan to impose a rule where 'all “Class C1 and C2 UAS of unmanned aircraft systems shall have a sound power level not exceeding [80-90] dB(A) determined in full power and stationary conditions using the basic noise emission standard EN ISO 3744:2010”.'

This affects everything DJI manufacture - -even the Spark.

Secondly - for those of us in the UK;

Government is considering a future requirement for drone pilots to make use of a Flight Information and Notification System (FINS) - a kind of app through which you would have to organise your drone flight. This would significantly impact both recreational and commercial drone use because:

• It would apply to drones with a mass of 250g and over - basically all drones that are not considered mere toys;
  • It would require drone users to file a notification before every single take-off, stating both the intended location and time of use;
  • And the mandatory use of this service might have to be paid for by the drone user, with a fee determined either by the system provider or resulting from a maximum amount set by Government.
Please take the time to sign up for node and add your name to those against these ridiculous proposals.

Node Europe (@NodeEurope) | Twitter

Mavic Pro Platinum is around 80db. Everything else DJI make is well above.

Also, keep in mind NODE is basically DJI working as a lobby group - and they clearly state that this affects all of their products.

It is? I never pegged it to be as loud as a food processor or garbage disposal system. I never pegged my own Mavic to be that loud. 70 dBA tops when I punch it in sport mode.

It is? I never pegged it to be as loud as a food processor or garbage disposal system. I never pegged my own Mavic to be that loud. 70 dBA tops when I punch it in sport mode.

Well, I doubt DJI would be pushing back if they didn't think their equipment would qualify.

The first is the EU's plan to impose a rule where 'all “Class C1 and C2 UAS of unmanned aircraft systems shall have a sound power level not exceeding [80-90] dB(A) determined in full power and stationary conditions using the basic noise emission standard EN ISO 3744:2010”.'
from what distance?

from what distance?

I should point out - I'm one fo you guys - I'm just trying to bring this to everyone's attention, so II'm not really the guy to ask. That said - distance is one of the issues with the proposed legislation - they're trying to tag it to existing rules that only apply to stationary machinery.

'The proposed ISO standard is non-representative for the assessment of exposure to drone noise. It was designed for stationary machines and takes into account representative operating conditions. However, it does not take into account the operational conditions in which pilots use their drones. Indeed, a drone will never be fixed to the ground and is used in outdoor conditions, where other elements such as environmental noise are always present'

Check out NODE's argument's against here: Letter Embed | New Mode

Well, I doubt DJI would be pushing back if they didn't think their equipment would qualify.
Likely because the Inspire and Matrice series are huge and generate a lot of noise, but the Phantom, Mavic, Tello, and Spark series are probably fine.

Likely because the Inspire and Matrice series are huge and generate a lot of noise, but the Phantom, Mavic, Tello, and Spark series are probably fine.

Sigh - I don't know how many times I have to post links to the actual documents, but as you can't be bothered to go over and read it for yourself...

'However, the drone community is endangered by a proposed noise limitation for C1 and C2 classes of drones, which means all drones below 4kg used for operations over or close to people'

Below 4kg

I'll type that again - Below 4 kg

So, clearly not the larger drones.

Sigh - I don't know how many times I have to post links to the actual documents, but as you can't be bothered to go over and read it for yourself...

'However, the drone community is endangered by a proposed noise limitation for C1 and C2 classes of drones, which means all drones below 4kg used for operations over or close to people'

Below 4kg

I'll type that again - Below 4 kg

So, clearly not the larger drones.
You never once mentioned 4kg in this post. Not once. And FYI, I don't have a Twitter.

You never once mentioned 4kg in this post. Not once. And FYI, I don't have a Twitter.

I linked to the web site too. I’m not here to spoon feed people every ounce of information. I’m simply making people aware of it, and that it’s in their interest to take action.
You don’t need twitter to look things up for yourself.

All I’ve tried to do here is help people out and stop laws that can affect this hobby coming into place. All some of you seem to want to do is argue with me about it. Argue with the politicians trying to kill your hobby instead.

I linked to the web site too. I’m not here to spoon feed people every ounce of information. I’m simply making people aware of it, and that it’s in their interest to take action.
You don’t need twitter to look things up for yourself.

All I’ve tried to do here is help people out and stop laws that can affect this hobby coming into place. All some of you seem to want to do is argue with me about it. Argue with the politicians trying to kill your hobby instead.
I haven't seen you post anything but the twitter link. So forgive me, for not being able to follow along. That aside, I live in the US, so the only ones I'm interested in is the EU law, not the UK one.

So having looked up this information, the Mavic, Spark, and Tello series are not in danger as they comply with the noise requirements easily. The Mavic 2 series, is definitely in compliance. My racing drone is also in compliance. So I'm not worried.

So having looked up this information, the Mavic, Spark, and Tello series are not in danger as they comply with the noise requirements easily. The Mavic 2 series, is definitely in compliance. My racing drone is also in compliance. So I'm not worried.

Well, as long as you’re ok.... stuff everyone else, eh?

Just keep in mind that Node Europe (which is the group set up to defend drone owners rights) are set up and funded by DJI.

So, when they publish this statement it’s based on DJI products;

‘Almost all drones on the market currently, which belong to class C1 and C2, do not meet the targets that the European Commission is aiming to set’.

Well, as long as you’re ok.... stuff everyone else, eh?

Just keep in mind that Node Europe (which is the group set up to defend drone owners rights) are set up and funded by DJI.

So, when they publish this statement it’s based on DJI products;

‘Almost all drones on the market currently, which belong to class C1 and C2, do not meet the targets that the European Commission is aiming to set’.
Do you have any facts to back up that implication? Do you also wish to quote me where I said I won't be fighting back? Just because I said I'm not worried, doesn't mean I'm not fighting for the other operators. But if I lose the fight, I know I will still be flying.

Just to add. We should all fight unnecessary legislation like this, regardless of whether it directly affects us or not.

We’re better and stronger as a community rather than just looking out for ourselves.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi