DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging MP1 in the field doesn't work any more

WildDoktor

Reactions
Has anybody run across this? If so, have you found a solution?

Background:
I'm still rockin' the MP1, doing construction progress projects using drone deploy.

Today and the last time (last weekend) I tried to charge my depleted batteries "in the field" (from my car) and could not...the batteries just blink one green light rapidly for about 15 seconds, then go dark. But when I get home, I can use the exact same charger, and the batteries charge just fine.

Details:
I have the "fly more" bundle, so I have the charger that plugs into the wall and has 4 battery connections, and charges sequentially. I also have the 12v DC "single" charger. I'm driving an '02 Honda Odyssey minivan, and there's a 12v socket at the bottom of the center console that isn't powered until the car is running. I've got an older 400W power inverter that I plug into that 12v socket. So I start the van, then I plug a depleted battery into the DJI "wall charger", then plug that into the 110v plug on the inverter, then power on the inverter with the on/off switch on the inverter.

This worked in our other van about 5 months ago...same exact van, except it's an 01 instead of an 02. But in this van, the dji charger light goes green, and the battery blinks one light rapidly.

I tried leaving the van running, and the battery plugged in (in it's rapid blinking state) for about 15 minutes while I flew thru another battery, but it never started charging.

I have now tried all 3 batteries, and they all act the same.

So then I tried the dji "car charger"; the one with the 12v dc plug. Again, start the van, plug the dji charger directly into the 12v socket in the van, and only get a single rapidly blinking light on the battery.

But as I mentioned, if I go home and plug the dji wall charger into the wall, the batteries charge normally.

I've also now tried this in 2 other vehicles, and get the same results.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I agree with the above reply. The batteries will not charge unless they have cooled down.

I purchased a great portable charger for my MP1 after running into the same problem as you. It is basically a large battery power bank that you charge before going out. While in the field it will charge up to four batteries ( the product specs say five Batteries - I don't remember if I ever gave it the test for five) without any external power source. Besides the AC charging cable, it also came with a cable for charging it in the car. I put a link to the Amazon page showing the device. It says currently unavailable, but iff you are interested, I still have mine in the original box if you are interested.

I also have a much better AC battery charger than the DJI one you have. It will charge three batteries at the same time - no waiting for one to charge, then the next….. like the DJI charger. It also has two front USB ports. It is still available on Amazon, or I have the one I can’t use on my Mavic 2 Pro. The link to Amazon is below, or mine is available if you are interested.

I have four batteries that were in good shape. I just checked and AirData UAV has kept some, but not all of the data for the batteries. One was in the drone when it fell and landed hard on the pavement in a parking lot. I didn't see where it came down a first, but when I found it, it looks like a car may have run over it. It was totally destroyed so that battery is probably no good.

I know I still have the batteries but I am looking for the box I put them.

I wondered about that, and I did try charging again after flying thru another battery (so the battery sat for probably 20 minutes), but still no dice. It was only about 85F outside, so I would think the temp wouldn't have been a factor.

@lwbeasley , thanks for the offers! I'll hit you up via PM. Sure wish I could get some paying gigs so I could by more stuff for the MP1.

Aw, who am I kidding...I wish I could get some paying gigs so I could buy a Mavic 3!! :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11