DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging MVP2 Batteries in Car

robgallo

Reactions
I need to figure out a way to charge my MVP2 batteries in a car WITHOUT THE VEHICLE RUNNING.

Currently, I need to keep the engine running or the chargers wont work. Neither the DJI Car charger or the DJI Home charger using a power inverter will work when using the 12v unstitched jack.

I am willing to replace my car battery but maybe need a little math calculations to make sure I get the correct AMPS?

These are the specs to the chargers I currently have.

Car Charger.jpgHome Charger.jpg

Use a separate battery with inverter that has the AC outlets that will feed your charger. Charge this battery (or two) while driving, use it while the engine is not running to charge the drone batteries.

Edit: compare the specs of the Goal Zero Yeti power stations to the specs of your chargers:

Chris

Not sure who you are replying to. For my part, I just put my Goal Zero setup in the back, but run a lead up to the cigarette lighter to charge it while driving. They are stand-alone, not installed in the car's electrical system (except using the power from the 12v cigarette lighter output).

People have 2nd batteries in trucks and RVs, but that's built into the their vehicle's electrical system, and is above my pay grade.

Chris

PS: I do this for a lot of reasons, for power during road trips for a lot more than just drone batteries. It is probably overkill for just drone purposes.

I have a simple little inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it works fine without the truck running , that should work in any car

Robgallo:

I think the issue is the condition / capacity of the battery you're charging from. A small battery, or a larger one in poor condition, will not maintain high enough voltage when the DJI charger pulls power. That's why some folks have success with the same charger while others fail - the source batteries vary. In general using an inverter may exacerbate the problem because there is an "inverter overhead" that dilutes the power available. I've had my best luck using dedicated 12 volt devices rather than inverters plus AC devices when trying to maintain systems without external energy inputs (like a running engine).

Four things you could try:

1. New, larger battery in your vehicle. Would probably work for a while. Main disadvantage is that you could strand yourself if you mismanaged the power used without running the engine - draw the battery down and your vehicle wouldn't start. Probably unlikely, but has happened to many folks using devices with high draws (coolers, refrigerators and cookers for example).

2. Install 2nd battery with charging relay into your vehicle. 2nd battery charges after your primary starting battery is near 100%. Accessories draw from the 2nd battery which automatically disconnects from your starting battery if 2nd battery voltage drops below starter battery voltage. Main disadvantage is expense. A good installation plus equipment could exceed several hundred dollars. Also, like #1, only works in 1 vehicle.

3. Portable energy bank (battery with sockets, switches, etc. that accepts charging from 12 volt or AC). Many available - Goal Zero well recognized. I'd recommend this solution but suggest getting something twice as large as you initially think might work because the advertised capacities are in absolute best case conditions which we often don't experience.

4. If you need the charging ability during daylight you could get a solar panel and connect it to your current vehicle battery. The panel would increase the voltage of the battery and as long as it was large enough, support the draw of the DJI car charger. This is what I do on my field truck, but only works in conditions of good solar input.

Reactions: mr.jipi_
I do not know much about this, but once when I was investigating whether I could change the cigarette lighter in my car so it would be active even when the car is off, I pretty sure I found some articles that show how to do it. It is not difficult and can be done by modifying the type of fuse used in the fuse panel that feeds the cigarette lighter. I know I have not given much detail, but hopefully this together with Google will help you resolve your issue.

Some vehicles have multiple outlets, one has to have the motor running and the other will work without. My Buick has one in the back and one in the front plus USB chargers in the glove box. I had a 2002 Tahoe at one time with one in the back that was always on.

Fuse shouldn't have anything to do with the outlet being on/off. Likely there's a relay that controls the outlet power where the relay coil is energized by ignition on (or perhaps even accessory) power. The relay can be bypassed, hopefully with the relay not also controlling other things.

The stock car charger does cut out at around 11.2v. The charger draws about 6A when charging. With that amount of current, the car wiring can present as much as 1v voltage drop and a car battery can easily drop to 12v when the car isn't running. That's why most have problems using the stock DJI car charger when the car is not running.

An inverter however shouldn't have the same issue. However if it too has a similar cutoff voltage, then you may get the same problem as the stock car charger.

I have a simple little inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it works fine without the truck running , that should work in any car

I have a BESTEK 300W Power Inverter. But does not charge the batteries from the 12v direct plug when the engine is off.

I think the Goal Zero or Jackery Portable Power is the best solution for about $300CA.

Thanks for all your advice.

I have the sunnylife car charger which is less voltage critical than the DJI car charger, and consequently charges fine as car battery voltage reduces. Jus be aware of impact on car battery if prolonged charging of drone batteries.

Not a good idea to charge with the car off. You could find yourself stranded.
Better buy a car battery and use it to charge. I think I have seen some that are made nicely as well.

If you look at the input voltage specification it is 14v not 12v, noticed on my car that the cigar lighter socket is always live. DJI has obviously designed it so you do not discharge your car battery. When the engine is running the voltage is regulated to around 14v in order to charge the car battery, perfectly normal so built in protection against getting yourself stranded I suspect.

Reactions: Howard70
I need to figure out a way to charge my MVP2 batteries in a car WITHOUT THE VEHICLE RUNNING.

Currently, I need to keep the engine running or the chargers wont work. Neither the DJI Car charger or the DJI Home charger using a power inverter will work when using the 12v unstitched jack.

I am willing to replace my car battery but maybe need a little math calculations to make sure I get the correct AMPS?

These are the specs to the chargers I currently have.

View attachment 114078View attachment 114079

See this link. I did this several months ago. See text and three photos showing everything.
Joe
KC7GHT

I second the Goal Zero idea. I have an older model Sherpa 100. I can charge it from the cigarette lighter or top it up using the solar panels I always keep on the dash in my truck.

Chris

Not sure if it will satisfy your needs but the Smatree battery pack charges 3-4 M2P batteries(2 at a time) from 20-25% to full.$118 at Amazon.Less than the price of 1 Mavic 2 battery.Of course you can't charge a battery right after flight as it needs a cooldown-10-20 minutes depending on outside temp.Can be recharged from DJI home 120V AC charger or Mavic or other car charger with motor on if you're on the go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 11.25.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 11.25.38 PM.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Inspirephil

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM