DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging remote with iPhone charger.

JoshuaCarlton

Reactions
I just charged my remote with my iPhone charger and it charged faster than normal, any reason I shouldn't be doing this? Thanks:)

Reactions: rcheli9
Typically the faster you charge something the less cycles of battery life it will have (if you are exceeding the mfg's recommendation). Check the recommended input charge for your phone and check what the output is of the DJI remote charger...

Reactions: stratos
Typically the faster you charge something the less cycles of battery life it will have (if you are exceeding the mfg's recommendation). Check the recommended input charge for your phone and check what the output is of the DJI remote charger...
Thanks.

Is the battery in the remote changeable, or is it a new remote if it fails .
I can't rambert reading anything about changing the remotes battery

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

I don't think it is an issue as the new batteries tend to have their own on-board computer to regulate the charge coming in and going out. I would also imagine that if it were an issue, then the voltage supplied to the remote would probably not be enough. iPhones tend to need a bit of juice to charge them with iPads needing even more. Depending on your model iPhone, if you really want to charge it faster, get a USB C charger and the appropriate cable. It charges the iPhone 7 Plus very fast.

Caveat: The following is my understanding and what I do. I'm not advocating or recommending using any charger other than the ones that comes with your devices or recommended by the manufacturer.

They've tried to standardize the output of USB chargers. Of course manufacturers have to follow it. In general, most chargers output between .5 amps to 1.5 amps. As stated above most devices designed/built in the past few years can handle the variance in amps. I've used my Apple charger to charge my Mavic Remote. With my Iphone, I've used everything from a computer's USB port, to my Beats headphone charger, a variety of USB chargers without issue and its been a couple/few years.

The one thing I do watch for is "heat" when charging with USB chargers I've not used before. IF I notice my device is getting warm I will not use that charger.

Also battery technology has come along way as well as the "smarts" when it comes to charging them...

Your Mavic RC is just fine. The USB "Charger" is not really a charger as much as it's just a 5v power supply that has a method (through the 2 data lines in the USB port) to tell the device it is supplying 5V to that it has the ability to supply current at a given rate. It is up to the device, your Mavic RC, to decide how to use this available current; i.e. Charge at a faster rate or if it is not able to then charge at a slower rate no matter what the 5V USB power supply can support. The 5V USB "charger" does not in anyway connect directly to the internal Lithium battery and charge it. There are physical charging circuits inside the Mavic RC and it is responsible to control the charge rate at the DJI designed safe charge rate. Therefore if they allow the battery to charge fast when you provide a higher current 5V supply, then that is a perfectly acceptable charge rate or DJI would have limited the speed at which it would charge.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: deltalimatango
BTW, the specs on the back of my RC state the input as 5V, 2A, which means it can charge pretty quickly off a decent "charger" (PSU). And as stated by a couple of people above, any modern USB powered device should have circuitry that controls the amount of current it draws from the PSU. We should be able to plug our RCs into any USB PSU without worrying about it drawing too much current.

What's the big deal?? As DJI does not provide a RC specific power supply (power blocks are NOT chargers) they expect you to use any industry standard 5vDC 2A or less power supply, ie, most any cell phone or mobile device power supply. So many people confuse a power supply with a charger, any modern device has the charge controller built in. I have been charging my RC with both a power bank, and a Apple 2A iPad power supply from day one as the USB outlets in the Mavic power supply are only 1A each, slow charge.

What's the big deal?? As DJI does not provide a RC specific power supply (power blocks are NOT chargers) they expect you to use any industry standard 5vDC 2A or less power supply, ie, most any cell phone or mobile device power supply. So many people confuse a power supply with a charger, any modern device has the charge controller built in. I have been charging my RC with both a power bank, and a Apple 2A iPad power supply from day one as the USB outlets in the Mavic power supply are only 1A each, slow charge.
Hmmmm, I wish DJI made things a little more clear in the manuals. Thanks for the info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent