DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging the battery and controller at the same time

AirisR

Reactions
Hello everyone, I have a quick question: can you charge your Mavic Pro battery together with the controller, because I noticed that the charger has 2 USB ports. I have heard that it can lead to permanent damage to the battery, but I'm not sure, so can someone give me a 100% accurate answer? Thank you :)

Yes, it's okay to charge both at the same time.

Reactions: AirisR
Hello everyone, I have a quick question: can you charge your Mavic Pro battery together with the controller, because I noticed that the charger has 2 USB ports. I have heard that it can lead to permanent damage to the battery, but I'm not sure, so can someone give me a 100% accurate answer? Thank you :)
That's the way I do it ... Controller and DJI charger unit that takes my 3 batteries. Works OK for me ...

I charged my batts,RC,iPhone all at the same time....no issue.

Same as me , I charge as much at once as I can . I am always short on time . Lol

Charger wasn't intended to do it, but it does work. May take longer to charge the battery (less wattage available) or overly stress the charger or final charge might be a bit less than it could have been.

Charger wasn't intended to do it, but it does work. May take longer to charge the battery (less wattage available) or overly stress the charger or final charge might be a bit less than it could have been.
Unlikely you will have an issue with a reduced final charge. End charge state for LiPO is constant voltage with low current.

What is interesting is the battery max charge rate is 80w (input) with the supplied charger being 60W. 10W or the total being the max rating of the USB port. This suggests we should be able to charge the battery significantly faster with an aftermarket power supply. Should be able to get a lot closer to 1hr in theory.

the final battery charge will be the same as always because the output voltage of the charger is not varying. if the use of the USB ports reduced available current to the battery output, it would simply take longer to reach full charge.

nor can you "stress the charger". it will produce the output it is rated for, no more.

the car charger is 13.05V/6.1Ah or 80W, which equates to about 1.6C. I have heard other discussion that the batteries will accept up to 8h (2.1C) but that's going to save about 15 minutes on a one hour charge, assuming no long term damage as a result.

The intelligent batteries can adjust their charge rate based on available input power.

As long as the charger maintains constant voltage, then you are correct. But it has been seen by an aftermarket charger for M2 that some of the connections were lower voltage than they should have been. The batteries were believed to have a lower SoC because of this, though Go reported 100%

If you have a charger rated 60W, and your RC is taking 10W, either the battery gets only 50W or the charger is overloaded at 70w.
Assuming the charger is only supplying total of 60w, the battery only gets 50W. Either it draws less current to maintain voltage, or the voltage drops.

V=IR
W=IV
These equations don't change but the variables do.

The intelligent batteries can adjust their charge rate based on available input power.

As long as the charger maintains constant voltage, then you are correct. But it has been seen by an aftermarket charger for M2 that some of the connections were lower voltage than they should have been. The batteries were believed to have a lower SoC because of this, though Go reported 100%

If you have a charger rated 60W, and your RC is taking 10W, either the battery gets only 50W or the charger is overloaded at 70w.
Assuming the charger is only supplying total of 60w, the battery only gets 50W. Either it draws less current to maintain voltage, or the voltage drops.

V=IR
W=IV
These equations don't change but the variables do.
The input voltage for charge does not need to be constant, it must remain above a set value (flashed to the BMS SOC) for UV (undervoltage) value. Default UV is only very slightly below the rated charge supply output. Charging will stop if the supply sags so no need to worry about undercharged packs showing 100%. They will either charge or they won’t with potentially extended charge time as you have said.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stokdgenetics