DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charolette NC Ariel pic?!? Legal?

Echo5delta16

Reactions
i find the rules and wording so confusing and leaving a lot to interpretation. I am taking a yearly trip to Charlotte NC and I am wanting to go straight up above the buildings and take a few pics. Not wanting to fly around just take some nice sunset skyline pics. Is that legal? If not what pet makes it not legal?
Thanks

Just for starters:

Fly for Fun
My mavic is registered and marked with the FA number. I would be flying in line of sight and not directly over people, likely over buildings or trees. I don't drink.
I'm still left with those airspace regulations that I don't understand or are worded to allow interpretation.

So in Downtown Charlotte you are well within the Class B airspace of Charlotte Douglas Intl. so you absolutely must have permission from ATC to fly even under Part 107 regarding flying for fun.

So in Downtown Charlotte you are well within the Class B airspace of Charlotte Douglas Intl. so you absolutely must have permission from ATC to fly even under Part 107 regarding flying for fun.
Great evidence here why the rules are so confusing, like the OP said. You don't need permission from ATC to fly, but you must notify them if they can be reached. If it were me, I would go with their recommendation, which likely would be OK to fly, within certain parameters. Even though they cannot prohibit you from flying, if there is an incident worthy of a report, you will be on record as having been advised.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsuruncle