DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

cheap and good ND filters

• Thread starter Deleted member 45347
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45347

Hi, i've been looking into ND filters recently, i am going to be shooting car races for the TV and such, so i need my shutter at 1/50 (PAL 4K25fps) for the best motion blur.
I was recommended Neweer filter set, but some people say the camera fails the last initialization step and i am not willing to mount the filter on a powered-on camera.
The Neweer filters are cheap tho, 14 bucks for the 3*ND + 2*UV/other crap and 16bucks for 4*ND filter.
I don't know if ND32 is crucial for me, i don't live in a tropical-ish country with a very strong sun.
I am open to any recommendations as long as they're available on ebay with international shipping or amazon.de
Thanks
David

I've had good luck with these FREEWELL filters. I would recommend getting an ND32 as well. Not quite as expensive as the PolarPros but not as cheep as the Neewer.

With camera filters it is usually cheap or good, not cheap and good. With proper care, filters are a one-time purchase so pay extra for quality.
Yeah, seems like it. I really like the PolarPro filters, but ****, i would have to sell some of my body parts.
I think i'll save up and see what i can do in post (PremierePro) in the meantime

I've had good luck with these FREEWELL filters. I would recommend getting an ND32 as well. Not quite as expensive as the PolarPros but not as cheep as the Neewer.
I have seen those. Seem pretty good tbh. The 6 kit costs the same as PolarPro 6 kit here. The cleaning tool is nice accessory.

I also have the neewer set. 4, 8 and 16ND and NDPL. I also bought a single 32ND as we have a lot of very bright sunshine.

The work fine and the Gimble selftest works with them installed.

Funny how the ND filter sets don't come with 32 as standard.
I find the 4 and 8 pretty much useless in Australia due to the bright glaring sun.
I think a standard set to suit 2.2 aperture would be 16, 32, 64. And 64 is perfect for sunny snow days.
Are the higher ND filters harder to make?? More expensive??

I have a neweer set of 6. $22? on eBay. Seem to work well and no problem with gimbal initialization with them on.

Funny how the ND filter sets don't come with 32 as standard.
I find the 4 and 8 pretty much useless in Australia due to the bright glaring sun.
I think a standard set to suit 2.2 aperture would be 16, 32, 64. And 64 is perfect for sunny snow days.
Are the higher ND filters harder to make?? More expensive??

What you said.. Australia is a different beast, so many reviews are saying 16 is great for those really bright cloudy days haha.. Even at 32 I've seen loads of footage overexposed.
Any tips on where to find a 16-64 pack? They all seem to be 4-16 or you have to buy the 6 pack 4-64 which as you say, I doubt I'd use half. I can't even find standalone filters, they all come in packs..

Could someone please help me with the math here:
If I was using 1/1000 and need to get down to 1/60, am I to assume I need .06 of the light? or 6%, or ND 1.2, or an ND12 filter colloquially termed.
Which is equally described as halving the light I get 4x or 4-stops so to speak?
I'm awful at maths, and it take's me an uncomfortable amount of time to get my head around simple things like this these days haha. I apologise if it's been covered.

Last edited:
I have the Neewer NDs and the initialization failed. I only tried a few times, but never got them to work...

I have a set of Hobbytiger filters that I picked up a year ago...not sure if they are still available but they have never failed to initialize...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb